Buying Advice L2501 vs B2650 for a TLB

/ L2501 vs B2650 for a TLB #1  

ProjectKing

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830 FEL, Kubota L3301 FEL/BH, Ford Golden Jubilee, Honda Foreman 450ES, Polaris Ranger 400, Kubota ZD326, etc, etc
Hello,

Strongly considering buying a L2501 or B2650 with backhoe and front loader. I'm curious what people's opinions are for these two tractors.

The L2501 seems very comfortable for me. I'm 6'4" and it fire me well. The L seems like it's about same size as the B but maybe a little taller.

There's some great deals right now for the L2501. So it's very tempting! I've looked at used B21 and B26 backhoes but they have been kinda rough. I hate to work on something as soon as I buy. Plus Kubota has 0% financing for 60 months!

What do you all think?

/ L2501 vs B2650 for a TLB #2  
L is a LOT more machine than a B. The 2 digit machines are industrial TBL machines, the 4 digit ones are against machines. Industrial are more sturdy than ag to deal with the abuse of construction & less skilled operators. They are noticeably more pricey though.

Always remember weight defines what a tractor will do, HP only defines how fast it will do it.

/ L2501 vs B2650 for a TLB #3  
Sounds like a fun purchase. I've always wanted one of the little Terramite TLB's.

I'd go with the L. I think you will find yourself using it thinking "I'm glad I didn't buy the smaller one"at some point.

/ L2501 vs B2650 for a TLB
L is a LOT more machine than a B. The 2 digit machines are industrial TBL machines, the 4 digit ones are against machines. Industrial are more sturdy than ag to deal with the abuse of construction & less skilled operators. They are noticeably more pricey though. Always remember weight defines what a tractor will do, HP only defines how fast it will do it.

Yes the industrial tractors are nice. But very pricey! Maybe $15,000 more than the L2501! I thought about a used one but even used a nice one cost roughly what the new L2501 would cost.

The 25 horse would be plenty for me. But the extra weight would be great.

Sounds like a fun purchase. I've always wanted one of the little Terramite TLB's. I'd go with the L. I think you will find yourself using it thinking "I'm glad I didn't buy the smaller one"at some point.

Yeah at one point I considered a BX TLB. But they feel like a toy and I would most likely be wanting bigger. I've run mini excavators and they spoil you with their speed and power. The L maybe a good compromise.

/ L2501 vs B2650 for a TLB #6  
I have just finished this whole tractor shopping process trying to replace my BX2200. I have friends who laughed at the little BX since I am not a little guy, so I looked like Hoss Cartwright on a mini-bike. The truth is that the little BX tried to do everything I wanted done, but it did not have the weight to do them. Well, 13 years later, I decided I want more capability.

The 2501 is one of those I looked to move to. Yep, it is a lot more machine than my BX. I looked at several others as well, but they all cost more than the 2501. Fast forward a couple months, and my wife and I finally figured out that whatever we buy, it will be the last tractor we will ever purchase. I am at retirement age, and my body can't do those things I used to do. I am buying a machine bigger than we had considered from the start, but I'd rather err on the capable side.

Which ever way you choose, I know you will love it.

/ L2501 vs B2650 for a TLB #7  
You have two tractors now.

Perhaps it is time to consider a mini-excavator, which will be many times more capable than the backhoe on an L2501.

The L2501 is a really nice rig. But I am afraid you may find its capabilities less than what you expect, as you have two heavier tractors.

LINK TO T-B-N ARCHIVE: Google: excavator or tractor backhoe?

If you had your T-B-N Profile location more specific than USA I would have provided a link to eBay auctions for mini-excavators near your location.

Last edited:
   / L2501 vs B2650 for a TLB #8  
The B2650 and the L2501 both use the same backhoe the BH77. There are some differences in the FEL but essentially the same. They are very similar in HP

I have the L2501 with FEL and BH77, while it pales in comparison to my old Case 580C from years back that I no longer have it is a very good small "TLB"

I am 6'5" and fit a little better on the L than sitting on the B at the dealership. The thing that made my mind up was the pricing, the L2501 with goodies was cheaper than the B2650 with goodies. Your experience may differ :)

I have just finished this whole tractor shopping process trying to replace my BX2200. I have friends who laughed at the little BX since I am not a little guy, so I looked like Hoss Cartwright on a mini-bike. The truth is that the little BX tried to do everything I wanted done, but it did not have the weight to do them. Well, 13 years later, I decided I want more capability. The 2501 is one of those I looked to move to. Yep, it is a lot more machine than my BX. I looked at several others as well, but they all cost more than the 2501. Fast forward a couple months, and my wife and I finally figured out that whatever we buy, it will be the last tractor we will ever purchase. I am at retirement age, and my body can't do those things I used to do. I am buying a machine bigger than we had considered from the start, but I'd rather err on the capable side. Which ever way you choose, I know you will love it.

So did you get the L2501? If so I'm curious how it performs with a backhoe on it. Thank you for the info! (0:

You have two tractors now. Perhaps it is time to consider a mini-excavator, which will be many times more capable than the backhoe on an L2501. The L2501 is a really nice rig. But I am afraid you may find its capabilities less than what you expect, as you have two heavier tractors. LINK TO T-B-N ARCHIVE: Google: excavator or tractor backhoe? If you had your T-B-N Profile location more specific than USA I would have provided a link to eBay auctions for mini-excavators near your location.

I've considered an excavator. Finding a good used one is a challenge for under $15,000.