Decision Made!

/ Decision Made! #1  

DaveM

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710/LA402 FEL, R4's
Hi All,

On Sat. we ordered a B2710, 402 FEL w/ 60" bucket and R4 tires loaded with windshield washer fluid. It should be delivered in 2 or 3 days!! I reconsidered my mower options and am strongly leaning to a 60" rear mount deck (another thread for sure!). With all the snow we're STILL getting I have weeks to research this implement. Other implements are on the horizon but it'll be great to get the heart and soul of it all, home and in the garage!

I really want to thank everyone for their advice and opinions. I put myself through a crash course in compact tractors the past 4 weeks and this forum was, is and will be a fantastic resource!

Hopefully I'll resume normal sleeping next weekend /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.

Dave

/ Decision Made! #2  
Congratulations, Dave. I think you'll enjoy that tractor. I'm using a Bush Hog RDTH60 (60" rear discharge, 3-point) mower myself and am very happy with it. And for my purposes, I think it's the right size, but I do believe the tractor could handle the 72" with no problems at all.

Bird

/ Decision Made! #3  
Dave,

For some reason I'm not surprised./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I sensed you leaning that way, thought you might fall over before made up your mind. Congratulations, can't wait for your trade study on "Rear Vs Mid Vs 54" Vs 60" Vs 72" Vs ?".

/ Decision Made! #4  
Congratulations! I started reading your posts late after you had already ruled out the bx and 7500 and thus didn't comment; I'm the proud owner of a b7500hsd /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif but would have gone with the 2710/2910 if I had more space.

I noticed you mentioned that your tires will be loaded with windshield wiper fluid. Do you know what the freezing point is of this solution, its relative weight to CaCL2 (saturated) and its corrosive properties to rims/tires relative to CaCl2?

AC

/ Decision Made! #5  
Good job, DaveM! Nobody can say you didn't do your homework.

I'd be happy to share my experiences with my 5' 3ph finish mower, but I don't have any yet. Just waiting until we get rid of the last of the snow and start growing some grass.

- Rob

/ Decision Made!
Thanks everyone! Hope the ride was better for you than me and if nothing else you got a few yucks!

After rereading the archives re: belly/rear/60"/72" mowers I might not start another thread after all. There's lots of good info in there!

AC- I went with the washer fluid because of my sales person's recommendation. I was pretty sure I didn't want to go with sodium (?) due to corrosive concerns. Probably not an issue with new rims and solution filled high enough that oxygen would not contact the rims. I still didn't like the idea. Wasn't crazy about the toxicity of antifreeze around our pets and the wild life we have in abundance around here. Although I wouldn't recommend drinking washer fluid (cheap buzz?) the rep said this stuff is not toxic or at least not lethal. Also claimed that it is not corrosive at all and is good to aprx. -25F. As for the weight. I don't know and I doubt they know or weigh the tires after filling. If it's not dilluted with water I suppose one could weigh a 1 gallon jug of fluid to get some idea. I'll ask for more details when I take delivery. Can anyone shed more light on these questions? I think the use of washer fluid is a fairly new thing for my dealer.

Dave

/ Decision Made! #7  
Congrats!! I'm sure you will be very pleased with your new Kubota.

/ Decision Made!
Re: Decision Made!/Washer Fluid Data

I spoke to my dealer last night and can add a little more info to the washer fluid query. The fluid weighs 6.5 lbs./gal. Each of my wheels will take aprx. 30 gal., roughly adds 200 lbs. to each wheel. I think he said calcium solution weighs about 7.5 lbs./gal. They also add water bed conditioner to each wheel to reduce the chance of of mold/fungus growth. Lastly, they charge $80 to use washer fluid in lieu of antifreeze or calcium. Fairly cheap piece of mind, IMHO.

Dave

PS- I'm waiting on a call this morning. I might get the tractor today!!

/ Decision Made! #9  
Re: Decision Made!/Washer Fluid Data

Dave,
Perhaps I can give some input on the tire ballast. I had my local industrial tire service add calcium to the rear tires (R4) on my B2710 shortly after I purchased it in June, 2000. The calcium definitely gives you the most weight per gallon. There were several different mix ratios available based on freeze point and what specific weight gain is desired. Mine weighed 11 lbs/gal mixed. The calcium is nothing more than heavy, dry flakes in a bag, that are dissolved in water to make a very dense, but corrosive solution. I had heavy duty tubes installed to protect the rims. I would recommend tubes with ANY liquid ballast, whether it is water, antifreeze, or calcium. There is always oxygen present inside a wheel, which will most likely result in some type of reaction. My total cost was $150.00 for the calcium, heavy duty tubes, and a special "wet" gauge for checking pressure. A bargain for adding 240 lbs. per wheel.

Mike

/ Decision Made! #10  
Re: Decision Made!/tire ballast

Hi Dave,

Just plain fresh-water weighs a little over 8 lbs. per gallon (very close to 8.34).

You mention 6.5 for wiper-fluid/7.5 for calcium. What is the point of using these (lighter)densities instead of water?

If the corrosive effects of calcium are a concern, then the corrosive effects (rust) of water would be less-so, and it's non-toxic. Using a tube would give equal protection from the water, ...and it 's a HECK of a lot less-expensive. Compared to the calcium-mix quoted in another response (11 lbs.), water would give 73% of the weight for what, ... .001% of the cost?! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

An example:

Michelin gives the capacity of the tires on my 4700 (XM-27 radials) as 91 gals.
A 3/4 fill would be 68.25 gals.
Using 8 lbs./gal for the water-density, that's 546 lbs. per-tire.
Total added-weight for both rear tires,... 1092 lbs.

Cost of fill-media(water),... LESS THAN 50 CENTS!!

Now I would call THAT "cheap piece-of-mind". /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Am I missing something here?

Larry