Buying Advice First tractor- Could really use input

/ First tractor- Could really use input #1  

momof2crazygirls

Tractor
None
Hello! I have been lurking and reading the forums for the last week and decided to join and hopefully get some feedback on the tractors I am looking at.

I have 14 acres with a 6 acre pond. The remaining acres are fenced for livestock or horses by the people that previously owned it. Some of it is pasture. I also have the pond area that will need maintenance around. I originally looked at an L2501 with FEL and bush hog but got scared it would be too big since my acreage isn't wide open and is divided into little areas. So then I looked at the B2601 with FEL and MMM, BX 25D with MMM, BX2370 with FEL and MMM, and then even looked at a ZD zero turn. I think I have eliminated the zero turn as there are just many things we could do with a FEL around the place.

I really like the L2501(actually my favorite) but am afraid it is too much for the areas I have to maneuver around and down like the pond dam. So then is the B2601 small enough and then is the BX too small are things I am asking myself. Also, do I really need a small backhoe but it's only $74/month difference to get it so I've basically talked my self into it.

I would be the main one running it, not my husband. He told me just pick as we have price quotes on all of the above.

I would appreciate any positives or negatives you have regarding the above models.

Thanks in advance!

/ First tractor- Could really use input #2  
Welcome to TBN... you will get a ton of advice here and most of it very sound even if contradictory just because we can't know your exact situation. First off, I strongly suggest two machines if you can swing it... a Zero turn dedicated to mowing assuming you don't have significant slopes to manage and a B or BX size tractor with backhoe (not trying to pick your color here). A lot will depend on how much you need to landscape. Lots of implements to choose and acquire as you go depending on your needs. I sure appreciate a dedicated mower that is easier on the grass vs. an 'all in one' machine. A backhoe makes the tractor heavy and tougher on your lawn. I could go on and on opining here but I will let others continue the discussion. Post some more info on specific things you want to do... that will help getting good advice.

/ First tractor- Could really use input #3  
:welcome:
To the TBN forum Mom. Glad you joined with us here. How old are those "Crazy" girls?

We will be more than happy to spend your money.

The main difference between the two tractors is that the L is a little heftier with a wider stance and longer wheelbase which gives more stability on slopes and hills. It doesn't matter that much if all your acreage isn't wide open it will still work well.

The B does have a little tighter turning radius and offers the MMM. The BXs are probably too small for what you want.

If you are mainly going to use the FEL and a bush hog, then I would go with the L.

/ First tractor- Could really use input
Unfortunately two machines aren't in the budget right now so it's one or the other or a combo. I fence line that is being cleaned up now and fences that I want removed, mowing or bush hogging, filling in low spots, dam patching in small spots if necessary, possibly tearing down some beaver additions to our dam, garden eventually, planting fruit trees....just some of the things off the top of my head. The horses that graze on it keep the lawn mowed down in the area around the house I just need to knock down weeds that sprout up.

They are 10 and 11 and getting excited about having a tractor! All my land is pretty flat- no slopes to worry about.

Last edited:
   / First tractor- Could really use input #6  
Wheeled tractors have too much weight bearing on the tires to work near ponds. Pond work is normally accomplished from aways back, using a tracked excavator.

For eight acres a Kubota L2501/HST would be a good size. Included with the HST are several other upgrades, especially to the instruments. The L2501 is going to be a more stable work platform than a Kubota 'B'.

Be aware that to mount and operate implements on the tractor's Three Point Hitch, the Backhoe has to be removed.

Last edited:
Sorry- I just meant mowing around it and removing saplings that have popped up along the edges. No major work- I'll leave that to the professionals. If I could figure out how to post a picture of it I would- LOL!

/ First tractor- Could really use input #8  
They are 10 and 11 and getting excited about having a tractor! All my land is pretty flat- no slopes to worry about.

Yes, that is a very exciting age. Are they a big help around the house?

We have 5 granddaughters living with us as my daughter just got her RN and is finishing her BS. They are 3, 6, 12, 14 & 16. Never a quiet moment in the house so I go out on my tractor to get some peace and quiet while the wife babysits.

/ First tractor- Could really use input #9  
I can tell you the L2501 get EXTREMELY good reviews on this site and does not strike me as too big for what you described. Definitely want HST transmission and telescopic 3-point-hitch lift arm can make attaching attachments more manageable.

As a "newbee", be warned; even on 'flat' ground it can be deceptively easily to roll a tractor. ROPS bar should be always be up and seat belt on! (The exception would be when very near the pond- the seat belt off).

Also, I'm sure you are used to it but with you screen name, expect some misogynistic comments at some point...

/ First tractor- Could really use input #10  
We have 12 acres in NH and an L3200, which is the prior model to the L2501.

It is fairly short and the turning radius is about 8' (ie 16 foot circle). The BX is about 7.5'.

The L2501 is 55" wide versus 45" for the BX (BX bucket is 48"). The implements are usually 60" anyway.

How many places can you fit 48" but not 55"? So that it's worth giving up quite a bit of lift capacity [compared to BX]? Probably not many.

We find the L series to be big enough to o the work but small enough to take on our woods trails.