Buying Advice Added acerage and need more tractor

/ Added acerage and need more tractor #1  

ElSueno Farms

Tractor
Kubota B2320 Kubota M5660SUD Kubota RTV500. Honda Pioneer 1000
I have enjoyed a B2320 with brush mower, loader, and reverse tiller for last 5 years, taking care of 2 acres of pasture and 2 acres around the house and shop. Now we are buying an additional 12 acres of adjoining pasture, planning to keep bees and plant supporting clovers, etc. the 12 acres had been home to too many horses for years, over grazed, ground is heavy clay and all the grass has been gone for some time.

I want to renovate the soil and look to plant clovers , buckwheat, and sunflowers to support bees and improve the soil. Plans are to mow, disk, broadcast seed, cultipacker, and repeat process as needed.

I am considering an L model that will be large enough to perform and have the weight and power to be comfortable and efficient. No cab, would like easy hitch if possible, seeking operating ease and convenience as I approach retirement.

Considering a 6 ft tiller vs disk, thoughts and recommendations on which would be best for property this size. All acerage mostly flat and no trees. I believe the loader on my 2320 will meet my loader needs.

Welcome your recommendations.

/ Added acerage and need more tractor #2  
Had some similar renovation of clay/silt soil that had horses run on it for a little over 20 years.

i started with a disc and it would not penetrate or break up the soil,
I then picked up a 3 bottom plow and it did break up the soil so that the disc could be used .

Also acquired a tiller and although a bit (rough) going at first on another field on the same property it was able to do an all in one operation.
My tractors were both over 6000 lbs operational weight and I believe weight is your friend for this kind of field work.

I am sure there is a Kubota that will fit your needs nicely- but will leave that recommendation for someone familiar with the Kubota many offerings.

Good luck and field renovation is rewarding work- especially when you get to use a tractor to do it.:thumbsup:

/ Added acerage and need more tractor #3  
If you don't want a loader I would be inclined to look for a older used tractor. It would be a lot easier on your wallet. I'd look for a wide front end and not a tricycle.

/ Added acerage and need more tractor #4  
Might keep the little tractor and buy a older model for the farming work as was suggested above ^^.

/ Added acerage and need more tractor
I wonder if a field cultivator would be of any help? I know the disk and tractor weight is important, need an education on how the disk set-up and operation.

/ Added acerage and need more tractor #6  
If the ground is compacted and hard as you say use a three point method. 1.) Use a single shank subsoiler and cross hatch the pasture. 2.) Follow with a disc. 3.) Finish with the tiller.

(I said a single shank subsoiler because a tractor to pull a multiple shank one would be larger than what your future tractor needs will be)

/ Added acerage and need more tractor #7  
I recommend another roto-tiller.

Disc Harrows are not effective following the plow until total Disc Harrow weight on each pan is thirty-five to forty pounds, which is a Disc Harrow with minimum 18" diameter pans. You have to pull a Disc Harrow briskly in order for it to mix soil. Truly effective Disc Harrows have pan diameters of 20" and up.

Some L series tractors do not have enough weight and horsepower to pull a Disc Harrow with 18" diameter pans fast enough to mix soil, especially clay soil. My L3560 has just enough weight and horsepower to pull a Monroe Tufline Disc Harrow with 20" diameter pans in sandy-loam. I have to run the tractor in HST/MED and full throttle.

A roto-tiller is one implement instead of two and more versatile.

LINK: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/308251-disc-harrow-selection-18-45-a.html?highlight=

Last edited:
   / Added acerage and need more tractor #8  
ElSueno Farms:
I wonder if a Field Cultivator would be of any help?

Field Cultivators for compact tractors are secondary-tillage implements. Horse compacted pasture will be too hard. You will break Field Cultivator points too frequently. You need a plow, or a single shank Subsoiler, if you want to aerate and loosen 12" deep, for primary tillage. Going 14" deep one time with a Subsoiler is good idea, relative to pasture history.

Field Cultivator is excellent for periodic secondary-tillage pasture aeration.

LINK: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/339095-dirt-dog-all-purpose-plow.html?highlight=

I know the disc and tractor weight is important, need an education on Disc Harrow set-up and operation.

Ask, and thou shalt receive.

LINK: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ing-three-point-hitch-mounted.html?highlight=

NOTE: MY SOIL IS FLORIDA SANDY-LOAM, NOT CLAY.

Attachments

• DSC00377.jpg
    DSC00377.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 173
  • DSC00361.jpg
    DSC00361.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 186
  • DSC00359.jpg
    DSC00359.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 147
  • DSC00364.jpg
    DSC00364.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 141
  • DSC00357.jpg
    DSC00357.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 133
  • DSC00381.jpg
    DSC00381.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 156
Last edited:
   / Added acerage and need more tractor #9  
I am considering an L model that will be large enough to perform and have the weight and power to be comfortable and efficient. No cab, would like easy hitch if possible, seeking operating ease and convenience as I approach retirement.

For weight, power, comfort and ease you clearly need one of Kubota's Grand L models, not a regular L series. I am 69 years old and appreciate the conveniences standard on my Grand L every day.

If a Grand L does not fit your budget, consider a MX5800 HST. Same tractor, stripped.

If you buy one of the four cylinder/4,000 pound Grand Ls, or an MX5800/4,000 pounds you can pull a Disc Harrow with 22" diameter pans, which will open MOIST compacted pasture without mandatory plowing first. Likely two passes necessary, at 45 degree angle cross. With 22" pans you can till 8" to 9" deep.

LINKS: http://www.kubota.com/product/LSeries/L60.aspx

Agriculture | Tufline

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/332493-tandem-lift-disc-harow-monroe.html?highlight=

Last edited:
   / Added acerage and need more tractor
Re: Added acerage and need more tractor- change in original plan

Thanks for the advice and recommendations, however, the grand plan has changed somewhat. Will only be adding 3.5 acres to my existing 1.9 acre pasture. Addition is same as originally described, horse packed soil, no grass, needs major soil renovation.
I am thinking it can be done with my current kubota B2320, already own reverse tiller, brush hog, and box blade. Will add a cultipacker and broadcast spreader, both to be pulled by my Kubota RTV500. Desperately need a single tine subsoiler to break up compaction and improve water absorption and reduce some small areas of standing water.

Does it sound like a sold plan for basically 5 acres?