Computer controlled engines

/ Computer controlled engines #1  

40_acre_mule

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
I was looking to upgrade from the L4400 to maybe an M5660, but....

All the bigger tractors seem to have computerized engines.
I can work on the 4400 mechanical engine with a little help from my son-in-law, but I don't know about the computers.

What have y'all experienced?
What are y'all's thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Mule

/ Computer controlled engines #2  
It's not just the donk that's controlled/monitored by a computer... the big tractors are being designed to operate via 'fly by wire' technology too (just like aeroplanes).

"The times, they are a'changin'"

/ Computer controlled engines #3  
The cats are worried about the self driving Google Gravely, next door.
Sorry, couldn't resist.
I hear what you're sayin', Mule.

On the positive side, my daily driver, a 2005 sedan that I bought new, has logged 145,000 miles on it's computer controlled engine and I've never so much as noticed it. Could have been all mechanical, for all I could tell. Never had to fix it, either - for which I am deeply grateful. Wouldn't know where to start. Probably unplug the black box and toss it in the trash, then buy a replacement for the price of 2 new tires.

It's been dead nuts reliable, except for a little lame spot in the go pedal when the car's cold. Once the thermostat opens up, that little annoyance goes away. Of course, I can't adjust. Bad code, I guess. Suppose I could get it "reflashed", but I'm disinclined to mess around with it. Hopefully, Kubota gets it right, and no one will even notice the difference.

Take it for a test drive and see if you can tell that it's not all mechanical. I'll wager it's unnoticeable.

-Jim

/ Computer controlled engines #4  
Any new machine as of a couple years ago (2014ish) over 25hp will have at least 1 computer to deal with tier 4 emissions stuff. The fancier the machine, the more electronics.

Under 25hp is generally mechanical not electronic because of cost & the fact they don't need a DPF for emissions.

/ Computer controlled engines #6  
I was looking to upgrade from the L4400 to maybe an M5660, but....

All the bigger tractors seem to have computerized engines.
I can work on the 4400 mechanical engine with a little help from my son-in-law, but I don't know about the computers.

What have y'all experienced?
What are y'all's thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Mule

I think computer engine management is great and the best thing since sliced bread.
Get a couple of books and read up on it and it's not so ominous.
More power, less fuel, longer life, less maintenance, what's wrong with that? Just compare just what a car with EFI does today compared to an old carbureted engine and I can't think of one reason besides ignorance why anyone would put a carb on an engine today or want to go back to the old way. EFI is just plain way more efficient.

/ Computer controlled engines
I think computer engine management is great and the best thing since sliced bread.
Get a couple of books and read up on it and it's not so ominous.
More power, less fuel, longer life, less maintenance, what's wrong with that? Just compare just what a car with EFI does today compared to an old carbureted engine and I can't think of one reason besides ignorance why anyone would put a carb on an engine today or want to go back to the old way. EFI is just plain way more efficient.

I agree with all the above until the tractor hits 10-12 years old. All I'm saying is that when the time comes, years from now, I'll find it easier to work on a mechanical device. Replacing, reprogramming, etc. computers comes with a whole 'nother set of problems.

/ Computer controlled engines #9  
Remember, the computer and its diagnostics are designed so the "average" tech can do the work with minimal training and/or knowledge of computers. If the guy at my Chrysler dealer can do it, you should have no problems. Its not as intuitive as turn the screw, replace the jets. However its certainly not rocket science.

/ Computer controlled engines #10  
And then there's John Deere, who doesn't want to give up their puter info to owners or mechanice that aren't working for deere.

If, it doesn't run right, you HAVE to bring it to them! As they say, when you buy "their" tractor, you are just leasing the puter info from them, THEY continue to own the system and you HAVE to go back to them.

That's just NOT the way I want my tractors to be!

SR