Should I buy a tooth bar

/ Should I buy a tooth bar #1  

johnw

Tractor
Kubota L3400
On Monday I take delivery of my new L3400 and was thinking that having a tooth bar on the bucket would be nice. Funny thing though the dealer talked me out of it???? He said I don't need it that I won't believe how well the tractor digs without it. I have about a 1/2 acre section of my field that is over grown with juniper bushes and I was thinking the tooth bar would be ideal for digging them up. I've been pulling/digging a whole bunch of them by hand and let me tell you I'd rather do to the dentist. I think he said they run about $400 and I could always install one myself later. Does that price sound good and how easy are they to install? Thanks.

/ Should I buy a tooth bar #2  
I think that deler gave you bad info...but it also depends on the soil conditions in your area.
For strictly loading work, no tooth bar is necessary (assuming the pile of material is loose and not packed solid).

However, anything solidly packed, those teeth would put more pressure (for the area) then the cutting edge of the bucket (High school physics there...) That would result in greater digging force.

Anyway, the tooth bar is a value-added addition to your tractor. I paid $305 for a 54" tooth bar delivered from NC to southern PA. $400 might be right for your bucket width, but it sounds a bit high...I'd at least try carverequipment.com and getting the delivered price of a tooth bar that is the correct length for your tractor's loader. Delievery costs might be the killer for buying from Carver...then again, maybe not.

As far as installation, that's pretty easy. Just mount the tooth bar on your bucket cutting edge (there is a slot on the bar to go over the cutting edge), drill two holes (probably ¾" diameter) and bolt it in place. Although the bolts are supplied, I'd recommend using stainless steel ones to minimize rust (so you can get that tooth bar off sometime).

Bottomline...buy one...

However, for your task of removing those juniper bushes, a tooth bar may not be the best implement. I don't know much about juniper (other then it's good ground cover) and what their roots would be like. Siince you've dug several up already, you should know if you could just dig around and yank 'em out, or if you had to cut through a lot of roots. I don't have a box blade, but I'm wondering if cutting them down with a rotary cutter, then box blading to drag out the roots might be a better method. You may be able to rent the rotary cutter and box blade from a local rental store.

I'm sure other members will make better recommendations as to how to remove those junipers. I'm also sure most will agree to buying that tooth bar.

/ Should I buy a tooth bar #3  
If your digging with the FEL then the toothbar is the way to go. If the dealer hasn't sold many in the past, then they seem to be reluctant to recommend. I think toothbars are relatively new commodity that CUT owners LOVE!!!

/ Should I buy a tooth bar #4  
Buy or make one, you won't be sorry. The dealers around me don't stock tooth bars because they are all different sizes. These bars are great for popping things out of the ground. I popped quite a few bushes yesterday with mine. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Should I buy a tooth bar #5  
He asked........" Should I buy a toothbar "

In one word.......... YES

Here's how I put my toothbar on

/ Should I buy a tooth bar #6  
GET ONE!!!! u may not use it often but it will make digging and pulling so much easier. 2 min on and off.

/ Should I buy a tooth bar #7  
forgot to mention, check out carver in NC shipped mine faster than the dealer could get it and $50 cheaper. the bar was made by WR Long.

/ Should I buy a tooth bar #8  
It's great for clearing out shrubby brush and uprooting small trees. I just wiped out a bunch of em today. Yes, it would be worth looking at. As a reference I paid $305 through my Deere dealer for a 61" toothbar - well worth it for the extra punch when clearing. For loading I don't see any real advantage to it - and I lose the ability to use the front edge for grading and dragging. Mine, like most of them, is removable. I actually bought a used bucket and mounted it on that, so I just swap buckets now to go between my setups.

/ Should I buy a tooth bar #9  
I agree with inspector. The dealer installed mine before I had the tractor delivered. Mine looks very similar to inspectors probably the same brand. The dealer only had one length so it was cut down to fit my BX. Modified and installed it was 299.00$ The dealer had a few in stock but did mention that once he used those up he didn't know how easy it was to get more. I'm not sure why.

/ Should I buy a tooth bar #10  
All I can say, is it is night and day without one. You try shoveling a mulch pile? I usually break out a pitch fork.
Same thing with the toothbar... it digs and rips SO much easier. Go get one.
-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif