Ballast box vs Grandpa's implement for added weight

/ Ballast box vs Grandpa's implement for added weight #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
I want to get some weight on the back of a Kubota L6060 to get full use out of the grapple and loader bucket. I was advised to get 1,200 lbs on the rear of the tractor for counterbalance, and to help keep too much weight off the front axle.

Loading the rear tires increases weight, but not weight behind the rear axle. So loaded tires won't help take weight off the front. So I need something on the 3pt hitch. There are some ancient "grandpa implements" scattered around the property, such as old rusting tillers or harrow. I could use these for ballast, but they are *large* and might snag up on things like stumps and other obstacles.

Is a ballast box the best solution for weight due to compact size compared to using an implement? And is there a source for a good ballast box that would mate up behind the L6060 cab model?

/ Ballast box vs Grandpa's implement for added weight #2  
I would load the rears then hook to a box blade or something similar. The weight your talking about adding will have to go through a lot of items to reach the ground, axle bearings, lift arms etc, etc. By adding fluid the weight is almost directly on the ground and doesn't have to be transferred through all that other stuff, yeah it does add more weight to bearings etc. but not like hanging it off the back.

/ Ballast box vs Grandpa's implement for added weight #3  
1200# would be a MINIMUM to put back there. Especially if the tires arent loaded.

~2000# would be alot better. But it depends on how far back you put it.

As to a ballast box.......I cant say that I have seen many that are big enough for this sized tractor. Most people just make their own. Do the math, build a box out of plywood, Insert (or build) one of them 3PH trailer mover type attachments.....and fill with concrete. a 2' wide, 2' long, 3' high box is ~1800#

Concrete is relatively cheap, but once done......its just a dead weight. Most people opt to spend money on a useful attachment. Such as a heavy rear tiller, box blade, bushhog, etc. And just leave that on. My MX5100, which is a little smaller/lighter than your L6060, gets the 1620# rotary cutter put on the back if I have to do any heavy lifting.

/ Ballast box vs Grandpa's implement for added weight #4  
2klbs sounds like a much better weight depending on the distance behind the lift pins. A long rotary cutter could be lighter and be more effective than a box blade. That said, a ballast box or homemade weight is ideal because it cant be built to the weight needed and they are very compact. I have an 1800lb brushhog but its worthless as ballast in tight quarters as it hangs so far out to the sides and the rear. I also have a concrete weight that is narrower than the inside of my rear tires and I can't turn sharp enough without brakes to put it into the wall when I am driving beside one. If you are a bit handy, a ballast box is an easy DIY project if you enjoy that type of stuff. If you have implements on hand, I would start by trying them out to see what works best for you. there might be something that works very well that you already have.

/ Ballast box vs Grandpa's implement for added weight #5  
Ballast boxes are normally carried on SCUTS, where garage space is often limited. Many SCUTS are used primarily for turf mowing, secondarily for landscaping with the FEL and not much else. Hence, a ballast box is ample.

Most buying CUT tractors as heavy and powerful as an L6060 will be purchasing multiple 72" implements, sometimes Cat 1, sometimes Cat 2. I would start shopping now. Fall/winter is the most advantageous time to negotiate used implement prices.

I typically us a 60"/700 pound Cultipacker as everyday, compact ballast behind my L3560. When I have a Box Blade Rotary Cutter or Disc Harrow mounted as ballast they protrude considerably, but protrusion improves their effect as ballast. I have been operating CUTS for years and find my perceptions automatically compensate for protruding implements.

( A 72" Cultipacker is typically 850 pounds, overall width 85".)
(My Cat 1 Monroe Tufline (brand) Disc Harrow, TH971820B, with 20" pans, weighs 915 pounds. A Disc Harrow with 22" pans, 7' width of cut, suitable for an L6060, weighs 1,000 pounds. )

On a one occasion I chained my Ratchet Rake to the rear of the Disc Harrow used as ballast.

Mount what you have, for now.

You do not have to ballast for occasional maximum lifts everyday.

Attachments

• DSC00542.JPG
    DSC00542.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 636
Last edited:
   / Ballast box vs Grandpa's implement for added weight #6  
I normally use my box blade as ballast on my L3200, but more and more realize it's too big and gets in the way or it's not convenient/appropriate to hook up for other reasons. So I am putting together a ballast box that I can just leave on all the time unless I need an implement.

I'd like to locate some scrap lead or steel that I can use, since it's quite a bit denser than concrete (steel about 3X denser than concrete, lead about 6X denser). That will let me have a smaller box.

Also plan to weld in a receiver to take a drawbar for moving trailers around.

/ Ballast box vs Grandpa's implement for added weight #7  
Personally, I don't like the idea of a dedicated ballast box. For some folks, I'm sure it works great, but generally i leave whatever implement I'm using mounted until I need the next implement. I'm thinking about some heavy steel weights that I can hang off/stack on top of my most common implements. Ideally in 75-100# units, so I can adjust as needed. I will probably rig up a concrete or sand filled drum that has three point pins sticking out and a couple of chains that can fit into the skidding plate on my Farmi winch. That way if I don't have an implement on I can use that, or quickly pick it up with my winch, which is relatively light and is generally mounted from November to April.

/ Ballast box vs Grandpa's implement for added weight #8  
You'll probably think its cumbersome but my best counterweight is my 3 point bale spear and a bale. For snow, I have a bale outside, L6060 in heated garage. Drive out, spear the bale, and I'm in business. Spear doesn't take up much room in garage. Lots of weight well back of tires, excellent traction.

/ Ballast box vs Grandpa's implement for added weight #9  
What condition is grandpas tiller in? If it's no longer operational I'd turn it upside down and fill it with concrete. Once it dries you'll have a nice ballast box. If it is operational I'd probably look for a different option.

/ Ballast box vs Grandpa's implement for added weight #10  
Barring an accident, I don't think you have anything to lose by trying the grandpa implements before buying the ballast box.