L4060 Road Performance

/ L4060 Road Performance #1  

Fxfymn

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4060 HST, FEL; Kubota BX2660
When I first posted about getting my 4060 someone asked me to post what I thought of the road performance of the rig. After working on the tractor to add some features I wanted I finally had the chance to take it for a ride up the road today with my new snow plow mounted as a load.

I used high in high range and it went to 22 mph at around 2500 RPM on level and a slight uphill stretch. That is about 6 mph more than my 3430 would do on the same stretch of road.

I dropped to low range of high to climb a hill at the end of our road. I could never climb this hill in high range with the 3430 unless I let up off of the HST pedal to the point that the speed dropped to around 6 mph and even in M I had to let up to top the hill. The 4060 went up the hill at 12 mph and never bogged down at all with the HST pedal fully depressed; quite a difference.

I absolutely love the high/low option that is available in each speed range. In this case it kept me from having to stop to put it back into M to climb the hill and made the climb much quicker.

One of the members posted about difficulty in changing speed ranges on his 4060. Mine is quite the opposite in that it is much easier to change ranges than the 3430 was. It moves easily between ranges and I have not experienced and hang ups between ranges.

/ L4060 Road Performance #2  
I dropped to low range of high to climb a hill at the end of our road. I could never climb this hill in high range with the 3430 unless I let up off of the HST pedal to the point that the speed dropped to around 6 mph and even in M I had to let up to top the hill. The 4060 went up the hill at 12 mph and never bogged down at all with the HST pedal fully depressed; quite a difference.

This is happy performance is likely 50% due to the STALL GUARD feature of your Grand L, HST+ transmission. We Grand L owners tend to forget about STALL GUARD because it operates in the background.

/ L4060 Road Performance #3  
Thanks for the info. Frequent roading was main the reason I got a 4060 over a 3560. Only a couple hours on the clock & havent had a chance to road it.

/ L4060 Road Performance #4  
How did you get the speed to go over 5mph faster than rated??

I wish my MX had a faster toad gear, it tops out at 16.1mph, but thats better than my old L3400 at ~13.5mph.

I got too accustomed to shuttling the wood hauling trailers 2-3 miles down the road with the 8n that clocks ~23-24mph. It seems modern tractors of the sub-60hp range cap out at 16-17mph.

/ L4060 Road Performance
R-4's and just because the speedo says it is so it may not actually be going that speed. I had to set the tire size on the Intellipanel myself since the dealer dropped the ball and I may have the wrong number in there. And in all honesty I was not trying to be scientific in any sense, so the RPM's may have been higher. I just wanted to know that it would climb the hill without having to feather the HST pedal.

Next time I hit the pavement I'll try to remember to throw a GPS in there to verify the actual speed.

/ L4060 Road Performance #7  
R-4's and just because the speedo says it is so it may not actually be going that speed. I had to set the tire size on the Intellipanel myself since the dealer dropped the ball and I may have the wrong number in there. And in all honesty I was not trying to be scientific in any sense, so the RPM's may have been higher. I just wanted to know that it would climb the hill without having to feather the HST pedal.

Next time I hit the pavement I'll try to remember to throw a GPS in there to verify the actual speed.

Makes sense.

Road gear was an important spec for me when tractor shopping both times, but it seems everyone is in the 16-18 MPH range, so made it a moot point.

If someone would make a 40-50 HP tractor that would go 22-24MPH.....would be a huge influence on my decision.

/ L4060 Road Performance #8  
My L3200 had issues on hills while roading & I had to back off to maybe 3/4 of the go pedal. The L3560 had about 3 more HP than the L3200 but double the weight to haul. I'm guessing the L4060 will end up about the same as my L3200 & leave me a bit wanting. But I couldn't justify the extra $5k for the extra 7hp in a L4760.

Also, dies anybody know how to reset the Intellipannel to miles & gallons? It reads kilometers & liters now & the manual is no help. I have a workshop manual on order, but it's not in yet.

/ L4060 Road Performance
My L3200 had issues on hills while roading & I had to back off to maybe 3/4 of the go pedal. The L3560 had about 3 more HP than the L3200 but double the weight to haul. I'm guessing the L4060 will end up about the same as my L3200 & leave me a bit wanting. But I couldn't justify the extra $5k for the extra 7hp in a L4760.

Also, dies anybody know how to reset the Intellipannel to miles & gallons? It reads kilometers & liters now & the manual is no help. I have a workshop manual on order, but it's not in yet.
Here it is: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/290388-intellipanel-display-setting.html

/ L4060 Road Performance #10  
Stall guard is amazing on the grand L's. I had heard it was a gimmick. Once day I was going up a hill 12mph in H and I turned it off and the tractor dropped to 10mph instantly.