Buying Advice Old Or New?

/ Old Or New? #1  

deadshort

I currently have a 2009 Boomer 8N and want to upgrade to a tractor with a cab. I was very close to ordering a Kubota L6060 but I started reading about the DPF and the associated controls/computers incorporated with it and I am thinking of changing my mind. The last thing I want to deal with is complicated issues with emission devices on a piece of equipment they don't belong on anyway. Have any of you experienced many problems with your DPF equipped tractors?

I have looked for some older Kubota's before the emission equipment was required and have found a few L5740 tractors with low hours. What are your thoughts on buying a low (under 200) hour tractor that is lightly used over a complicated new tractor?

/ Old Or New? #2  
What are your thoughts on buying a low (under 200) hour tractor that is lightly used over a complicated new tractor?

Last year I sold my 2012 Max 26 with 160 hours on it. It was maintained per schedule and was essentially new. In my estimation, the buyer picked up a basically brand new tractor for a couple grand savings, and it still had over a year of factory warranty on it. Also - it has no DPF or extra jewelry, so that guy is set.

If you can find a seller who takes care of their stuff, then buying a tractor with 100-200 hours or even more is really not that different than buying a new machine in my opinion. Some of us are just hobby guys who put 30-50 hours on a year. Or perhaps a couple hundred hours initially, and then light use thereafter. Life sometimes catches up with folks who buy tractors with good intentions of doing it themselves, but then they realize that work, kids, and other things sometimes get in the way. Those are the guys that you can probably get a great deal from on a great machine...

You might check out the mCRD engines that Mahindra has developed if you want to stay away from DPF. (One of the big drivers for my sticking with the Brand on a larger machine last year.) Jury is still out on long term reliability of any of those new Tier IV solutions though, and there were some early EGR and programming bugs on the mCRDs that Mahindra seems to have cleared up.

But back to your question - I would have no issue with picking up a lightly used Kubota or any major brand if the deal was right. I have seen three really nice Kubotas in consignment lots around here lately, and I have to keep myself from stopping by to look just in case I get any ideas...

Good luck!

/ Old Or New? #3  
I think often what tips the scales for a buyer toward new is financing.

If you are in a position to not need manufacturer financing look for used. Let the first owner suffer that depreciation.

/ Old Or New? #4  
I think often what tips the scales for a buyer toward new is financing.

If you are in a position to not need manufacturer financing look for used. Let the first owner suffer that depreciation.

What depreciation. I normally buy trucks and cars a year used but I couldn't find a decent price on any used tractors. Heck they cost so close to new that I went new just for the warranty. There is no sense in taking the chance of getting a machine full of someone else's problems or one that wasn't properly cared for if you're not gonna save any real money.
BTW The tier IV stuff hasn't given me one moment of problem but mine is a no DPF machine.

/ Old Or New? #5  
I currently have a 2009 Boomer 8N and want to upgrade to a tractor with a cab. I was very close to ordering a Kubota L6060 but I started reading about the DPF and the associated controls/computers incorporated with it and I am thinking of changing my mind. The last thing I want to deal with is complicated issues with emission devices on a piece of equipment they don't belong on anyway. Have any of you experienced many problems with your DPF equipped tractors?

I have looked for some older Kubota's before the emission equipment was required and have found a few L5740 tractors with low hours. What are your thoughts on buying a low (under 200) hour tractor that is lightly used over a complicated new tractor?

OK, at the risk of upsetting all of the sky is falling crowd, DPF is no big deal. Light starts flashing, just bring up the rpms and keep working. That's it. It is almost negligible.

/ Old Or New? #6  
OK, at the risk of upsetting all of the sky is falling crowd, DPF is no big deal. Light starts flashing, just bring up the rpms and keep working. That's it. It is almost negligible.

Agree have several pieces of equipment using DPF no problems. Also a 2012 Dodge Ram with 235000 miles no def problems

/ Old Or New?

I am not concerned with the regeneration process at all. I am concerned about the devices, components and circuitry that initiate and carry out the process. These items are bound to give quirky problems and fail at some point. I can hear it already. In ten years we will be told by dealerships that they are not supporting that first generation of DPF controls because in its infancy the engineering was not the best and the product is outdated. Maybe look into a junk yard tractor for the parts you need.

I am one who doesn't put a lot of hours on my tractor. My Boomer only has 100 hours on it. I may start and warm up the tractor and then just unload a pallet or something and that might be it for the month. I would hate to plan on just a few minutes of work then have to "keep working" in other words wait while the regeneration process carries out.

This all seems like crap anyway. I assume its designed to be more green. I was working by some railroad tracks a while back. There was a train engine or locomotive sitting out there idling barfing black smoke into the air all day while I was there. I asked the business owner what was going on and he said that they will sit out there for days at a time doing that. So it's a good thing we all have to have four stroke weed wackers and DPF on our tractors to be green while the larger contributors go unregulated.

/ Old Or New? #8  
If you can find a low hour L5740;buy it.I have a L4240 HSTC with 1,000 hours that I purchased new.
Very nice tractor;I would not buy one with DEF myself.Plan on keeping this one;already had a purchase offer and it's not for sale.

/ Old Or New? #9  
I also have the L4240 and don't think I would sell it. You well like the L5740 with the HST Plus.

/ Old Or New? #10  
Hello Deadshort & welcome to the forum. I sure do like those Boomers. Fascinating concept. It must have taken real guts for a manufacturer to make that sort of copy of a classic...and it looks like they did it well. I darn near bought one just for the styling. Very nice machines, and congrats to you for getting one.

I don't know anything about the DPF tractors; they are probably fine. If they weren't we would have heard about it by now.
But I feel much the same as you do about proven technology and am glad that mine are the older style. I will confess that I hate the stink of the smoky diesel exhaust on my interim Tier IV machine.

As for buying an older machine with low hours I not only wouldn't have any objections, but depending on the owner there might even be an advantage in reliability and break-in. Any dollar savings would just be a bonus. When looking at used, I usually look for one with all the accessories already installed. Certainly this forum would give you an unbiased view into how owners regard any model. And maybe it's just my perception....but it seems that Kubota owners are generally rather good to their machines. So I would have no preference between a a low hour used machine and a new one. In fact, I bought my last Kubota as a dealer's demo machine - it had been used for nearly a year on their lot and under their supervision. Better than new, and with all the little things attended to. It's a 2008 with 800 hours and I doubt that I would trade it today for a new one.
luck,
rScotty - did I say how much I like the Boomer styling? And I've never even driven one.....