looking at a L2900 gst

/ looking at a L2900 gst #1  

Sprinklerman

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland 1925 Kubota bx 24
I have a friend and we are going to look at a L2900 GST with 1100 hours on it , Just wondering if I should be looking for anything specific . And a general price range .

/ looking at a L2900 gst #2  
Price is subject to area you live in. Big difference from north to south. Hopefully someone can help you on where and what to look for.

/ looking at a L2900 gst #3  
Check on TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of tractors for specifics.Does it have a front end loader(FEL)?Hours are fairly low for a tractor built 1994-99.Paint faded?Any additional implements,i.e.rear blade,bush-hog ect.Are the tires weather checked/worn?.Maintenance records.
Nice size tractor for general work,we have two similar in the family,L3300&L3000DT.

/ looking at a L2900 gst #4  
L2900 has three known failures that I know of:

Front axle seals will leak. This is a repair that can be done for 350 dollars in parts. 6-700 dollars if the shop does it. Not terribly difficult. Plan for 2 evenings to get both done if you've never done it before and if you have a decent selection of tools.

Glow plug timer not working. Might not work. Might stay on. Might come on and off during operation. 100 bucks and 10 minutes to fix with little effort.

Rear sight glass for hydraulic reservoir leaking. Less than 20 bucks plus some sealer and a few minutes to drain fluid lower than sight glass, replace sight glass, and refill.

Other than these issues, I believe the Lxx00 series of Grand L tractors are great machines. 1100 hours is nothing is properly cared for.

/ looking at a L2900 gst #5  
If it has a FEL, I would plan to pay between 11 and 12 thousand - if in good condition. I bought mine with the same hours with a backhoe attachment for 10,500. It had all the above issues. After fixing them, it was a faithful servant that ran without a hiccup. I would buy one with those issues again in a heartbeat for a similar deal.

/ looking at a L2900 gst #6  
Just saw a L2900 GST with FEL and metal cab and heat with 1500 hours listed on Craigslist for $12,900.

/ looking at a L2900 gst
Well my buddy backed out , he was concerned about a small amount of oil , he was told it could be a seal that was a problem leaking oil on the clutch . It had a loader , it was a nice machine . He had the guy down to 10 grand . It was sure beefier than my New Holland . I would have bought it , BUT ..................I like being Married