buying 1st first tractor, L4701 or mx5200...or?

/ buying 1st first tractor, L4701 or mx5200...or? #1  

mopardude318

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060 HD12 Oliver 550
Hi there. I'm looking to buy a tractor, never owned one, or have too much seat time behind one, mainly bobcat skid steers at work, but need a conventional FEL tractor. So a google search on "which kind to buy" brought me to TBN!

My girlfriend and I live on her parents 400 acre piece of property in Tres Pinos, Ca. There hasn't been a serviceable, working FEL tractor here in over 15 years, so I have a lot of work to do. (post hole digging, mowing, moving heavy downed oak trees, lots of brush, and of course moving dirt and large amounts of gravel to constantly maintain our 1/2 mile long dirt road driveway.

I was looking only at Kubota because of how close the dealer is, about 20 miles. But I am open to others!

I have my eye on the L4701.

here is the sheet I had the gentleman make out for me, basically 3rd function valve, 4-in-1 bucket, 3 rear hyd remotes for full hydraulic box scraper. and other things you can see on the tag.

IMG_0937_zpspqv8j2lz.jpg

Here is a picture from the far back side of our property, probably about 50 acres of vineyards, California oak filled rolling hilled cattle land. but looking at the picture, most of the work to be done is in the far back left corner where you can maybe see the old barn. ill get a picture of that area.

IMG_0824_zpskbijbma4.jpg

this creek runs through our land as well, and eats away our main "driveway" if you will.

IMG_0818_zps2xk5obxg.jpg

road I have to fix, might be better off with a dozer. LOL

IMG_0578_zpsruyig35x.jpg

Anyways, Also looking at the MX5200 with HST, which is a little heavier tractor, a little bigger FEL capability for not too much more money. Id still have the 3rd function valve and 3 rear remote hydraulics, top & tilt rams installed.

/ buying 1st first tractor, L4701 or mx5200...or? #2  
Seems probable this will be a tractor in commercial use, therefore can be depreciated. Therefore, also consider the Kubota Grand L L5060 and L5460 both with turbochargers, or the L4760, naturally aspirated.

The L5060 and L5460 (and L4060/L4760/L6060) share the same heavy chassis and engine block with the MX5200 but the Grand Ls are outfitted with top level kit. The list of enhanced features is long but the HST PLUS transmission, which adds three wand-controlled half steps to the three HST ranges and STALL CONTROL are my favorites. Closely followed by Three Point Hitch telescoping Lower Links and telescoping Lower Link stabilizers, which making mounting heavy Three Point Hitch implements relatively easy. (I see you have optioned these in your Kubota quote.)

Wheels on the Grand Ls are adjustable in four increments. If you will operate on sloped ground being able to spread the rear wheels to increase stability may be a key feature.

More money, no question. But the added features enhance productivity. Many who have never owned a Grand L Harummmph at the higher price. Those that have owned a Grand L almost universally feel their money was well spent. That includes ME.

As the years pass your body will appreciate the added features on the Grand Ls more and more.

Last edited:
   / buying 1st first tractor, L4701 or mx5200...or? #3  
You should really look at a Massey 2706, Kubota is a very good tractor, but the MX5200 is to small and the L4700 is way too small. Size weight and HP, Plus HST available.

I'd really go to a Massey 2635 for the HP and weight. (not HST)

Do your parents have a vineyard tractor? For pure Ag work Massey is very good, There is also Bigger Kubota's, Deere but for value maybe LS, Mahindra, Kioti, etc/ dealer location not that important.

Search TractorHouse.com | Used Tractors For Sale: John Deere, Case IH, New Holland, Kubota.

/ buying 1st first tractor, L4701 or mx5200...or? #4  
I'd say you're aiming way to small. The L4701 is the next frame jump from my L3301, and I wouldn't consider it as anything but a useful toy on that large of a property. For maintaining the sheer acreage that you have, and catching up after 15 years of neglect on an actual working operation I'd say a full M series would be called for if you can swing it financially and have the room for it. A large framed grand LXX60 at the very least. You especially should forget about the standard L and MX lines considering your geography. A cab is almost a necessity for working in the exposed sun all day, and when dry season comes you'll be glad to not eat dust for lunch!

You have enough land that I'd say even the big boys wouldn't be out of place, maybe not a Case Magnum, but a Maxxum or Puma or a similar size from another manufacturer wouldn't be to big, if it didn't have to go down the rows.

/ buying 1st first tractor, L4701 or mx5200...or? #5  
There hasn't been a serviceable, working FEL tractor on the property in over 15 years, so I have a lot of work to do: post hole digging, mowing, moving heavy downed oak trees, lots of brush, and of course moving dirt and large amounts of gravel to constantly maintain our 1/2 mile long dirt road driveway.

No mention of vineyard work in the OP's opener. There is a vague reference to cattle land.

Unless organic, vineyards require repeated spray applications, mainly fungicides. In California pressurized cabs are required to protect the workers from ag sprays. Specialized vineyard tractors were not available with FELs when I worked in the California wine industry fifteen years ago. So I expect there are "other tractors" on the property.

Given the tasks enumerated, which are similar to the tasks I have, the OP is in the ballpark on tractor weight at 3,500 to 4,000 pounds, bare tractor.

He might want a LPGS (Land Plane Grading Scraper) in addition to the Box Blade.
VIDEO: LAND PLANE - YouTube

For brush he will probably want a Ratchet Rake attachment for the FEL bucket.
VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ratchet+rake+brush+clearing

Attachments

• DSC00670.JPG
    DSC00670.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 1,118
  • DSC00671.JPG
    DSC00671.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 580
  • DSC00672.JPG
    DSC00672.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 376
  • DSC00177.jpg
    DSC00177.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,147
  • DSC00178.jpg
    DSC00178.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 624
  • DSC00542.JPG
    DSC00542.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 1,962
  • DSC00158.jpg
    DSC00158.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 539
  • DSC00021.jpg
    DSC00021.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 832
  • DSC00024.jpg
    DSC00024.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 768
  • DSC00026.jpg
    DSC00026.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 320
  • DSC00451.JPG
    DSC00451.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 550
Last edited:
   / buying 1st first tractor, L4701 or mx5200...or?
Gentlemen, I am sorry I didn't specify about the vineyards. mother in law lease those out to a manager, who maintains all of those, not my responsibility. The manager for that has all the equipment (not organic so yes, fungicides are used, pressurized cabs, harvesters, etc,etc. they have it all). My cousin has a small amount of cattle (40) way on the other side, away from all that. They mainly stay way up on top and only come down below for the trough.

So MY tractor that I am looking to get is not for commercial use, does not really need to fit in tight spaces or through rows. here's some more pics of my actual working area:

IMG_0956_zps7p1q5z8c.jpg

this is the corral behind that barn, yes, lots of junk to move and get out of there! clean up time! LOL

IMG_0938_zpsiko3ffob.jpg

IMG_0940_zpsncnntkdc.jpg

IMG_0941_zpskpcgdrh1.jpg

IMG_0949_zps9onyw1lp.jpg

IMG_0965_zpsayoiwb5p.jpg

I have to recut this area, where I started to build a shop last summer, but had to stop due to not having my own FEL, (hired help with a skid-steer) and the rain this year was really bad, it somewhat gave in, so thatll be a good project.

IMG_0944_zpseub5rtvr.jpg

we do have this old 1970's international pull tractor with wheel mower, disc, box scraper, all older manual equipment, but it works. we have nothing like a utility tractor with a front end loader. which I really need!

IMG_0957_zpsts2efugb.jpg

have to remove about an acre of sage brush:

IMG_0954_zps4qtojzve.jpg

So as you can see, lots of mowing, dirt moving, grooming, I have lots of downed oak to move, lots of fences to repair so a definite need for a post hole digger.

Please realize, I originally had a budget of $20K and I was looking at the Branson 5220R, but no dealer in sight, and I'd rather have a name brand and dealer support is important to me, they are local, so I feel I really had to up my budget by going with a Kubota, which is already pretty high, (really prefer not to exceed $40-45K.) Plus, a Kubota rep lives down the road and he came out and checked out my land and for what I need thought the L4701 would be a good choice. Then I thought I might as well go with an MX5200...lol

I do appreciate all your guy's insight.

Last edited:
   / buying 1st first tractor, L4701 or mx5200...or? #7  
So Open Station utility tractor with just an FEL? I stand by what I said earlier, and agree with others on this post. Maybe a Mahindra 2565?

/ buying 1st first tractor, L4701 or mx5200...or? #8  
Of the two you listed, the MX. No question about it. Honestly, though, maybe consider a skid steer. For lots of digging and grading work, a skid steer will be a much better tool. Don't get me wrong, tractors are super handy, and I'm very pleased with my MX. It's a very capable machine. Occasionally I wish it was heavier or had larger front wheels, but mostly it's a great size. I, however, am not using it primarily for FEL use.

/ buying 1st first tractor, L4701 or mx5200...or? #9  
I stand by what I said earlier regarding the cab. You'll regret not getting one come June/July when it's 90+ degrees and you have to mow through dust. Now that we know your actual needs a bit better I'd say a large frame LXX60 would probably be the right way to go if you can swing it financially. If you can't then the MX would be the better of the two options you originally laid out.

/ buying 1st first tractor, L4701 or mx5200...or? #10  
Hi there. I'm looking to buy a tractor, never owned one, or have too much seat time behind one, mainly bobcat skid steers at work, but need a conventional FEL tractor. So a google search on "which kind to buy" brought me to TBN!

My girlfriend and I live on her parents 400 acre piece of property in Tres Pinos, Ca. There hasn't been a serviceable, working FEL tractor here in over 15 years, so I have a lot of work to do. (post hole digging, mowing, moving heavy downed oak trees, lots of brush, and of course moving dirt and large amounts of gravel to constantly maintain our 1/2 mile long dirt road driveway.

I was looking only at Kubota because of how close the dealer is, about 20 miles. But I am open to others!

I have my eye on the L4701.

here is the sheet I had the gentleman make out for me, basically 3rd function valve, 4-in-1 bucket, 3 rear hyd remotes for full hydraulic box scraper. and other things you can see on the tag.

IMG_0937_zpspqv8j2lz.jpg

Here is a picture from the far back side of our property, probably about 50 acres of vineyards, California oak filled rolling hilled cattle land. but looking at the picture, most of the work to be done is in the far back left corner where you can maybe see the old barn. ill get a picture of that area.

IMG_0824_zpskbijbma4.jpg

this creek runs through our land as well, and eats away our main "driveway" if you will.

IMG_0818_zps2xk5obxg.jpg

road I have to fix, might be better off with a dozer. LOL

IMG_0578_zpsruyig35x.jpg

Anyways, Also looking at the MX5200 with HST, which is a little heavier tractor, a little bigger FEL capability for not too much more money. Id still have the 3rd function valve and 3 rear remote hydraulics, top & tilt rams installed.

It really depends on what you want to do with it. I have a L4701 HST that I use for about 50 acres total. It works perfect. Are there times when I could use a larger tractor? Yes. Are there times when a smaller tractor would work better? Yes. The 4701 is a great balance for what I do most of the time on my property--bush hogging, grapple work, FEL work, and maintaining the roads/driveway. For your size property, I would not go smaller than a 4701, and might even step up one size to the MX5200. Look at the money difference and finance options and decide. Is the MX eligible for the 0% long term financing? At the time I bought, it wasn't and the 0% financing was important to me.