L6060 vs MX5800

/ L6060 vs MX5800 #1  

CJBOTA

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 & MX5100
I've been running an mx5100 for 5 years. It's been a great tractor. But I need just a bit more pto hp to run my airblast sprayer in the orchard. The 5100 runs it until I start up a hill and then it bogs down I little. But I don't want a physically larger tractor. I noticed the L6060 gives 53 pto hp compared to 50 on the mx5800. So if I go to the L6060 I should see about a 25% increase vs 18% with the 5800. I know this don't sound like much but I am kind of pushing the limits so every hp counts. The 5100 only puts out 42.2. I estimate I need 10 more hp at the pto but the mx5800 only gives me 8. My dealer keeps telling me I should go with the 5800 but my gut tells me the L6060. Anybody care to give me some advice?

/ L6060 vs MX5800 #2  
Any chance the dealer would let you test the MX?

Personally, and I say this without any experience doing this, I'd be inclined to see if you can squeeze any more HP out of the MX you have. Any chance you could turn up the pump a little?

/ L6060 vs MX5800
Yea, I ask about trying to squeeze a little more out of the 5100 and the dealer didn't hesitate in saying no. Also, my dealer wouldn't consider letting me try a new one out. I have to buy it to try it.

/ L6060 vs MX5800 #4  
Personally, if purchasing a new tractor, I wouldn't even consider a tractor that I know I would be operating at it's limit and to try to squeeze even more from it wouldn't be the most prudent purchase.

It would be a different story if I was offered a terrific deal on a used tractor.

/ L6060 vs MX5800
Yea Oldoak I hear you! Other than the airblast sprayer a dozen times a season it is plenty of tractor. And I only have a couple places I have to deal with hills. Sometimes I just make extra passes and spray going down hill. So I am not pushing it all the time. A 7040 is just to big to maneuver thru the orchard. And the narrow orchard tractors are just to expensive. I have also considered a used m6800 two wheel drive and just leave the sprayer hooked up all the time.

/ L6060 vs MX5800 #6  
Can you bring the sprayer TOO the dealer to try it?

/ L6060 vs MX5800 #7  
What gear are you in when it bogs down? Any chance a lower gear would provide enough to the pto?

One thing about the L is it has the turtle/rabbit toggle. While bush hogging, if i bog down I flip the paddle to turtle and have a little more power.

/ L6060 vs MX5800
I spray in low range, when it starts to bog down, I slow down and the revs come up. The problem is when I slow down I am wasting chemical because I have to maintain ground speed to get the right amount of chemical on. Taking the sprayer to the dealer would be a major production, people get nervous when I turn that sucker on. They don't call it airblast for nothing. It's kind of like a man made typhoon.

/ L6060 vs MX5800 #9  
The l6060 is definetly a much nicer machine with all the bells and whistles. Especially the upgraded hydro trans. At there core they are very similar i love that Kubota rather that calling the mx and economy L calls it an economy mx implying that they are bigger than the L's

/ L6060 vs MX5800 #10  
The front tires are bigger!:D