Price Check New B26 tlb.

/ New B26 tlb. #1  

MattRat

Tractor
Wheel Horse, but hopefully a Kubota L47 very soon
Hi,

I've been lurking for a while getting advice from reading many of these forums, but I feel like I am finally ready to pull the trigger on a new B26 tlb.
I appreciate all the knowledge and experience so many of you have and hope to keep learning from you guys. I bought a huge project property in Washington, just south of Seattle. The property is just over an acre (I know, too small for that machine some of you will say), but it really has a lot more to do with the size of the many jobs I have to do on this property. The place was practically abandoned a few years ago and the lot is incredibly overgrown. One of the first projects I had to do was dig out the foundation and waterproof it. I rented an 18k lb excavator and a tracked skid steer for that project. Now all of my future projects will be smaller in scope. The B26 is the perfect size to get around the tight areas I need to work in. My soil is extremely rocky and hard to dig in. Here is my to do list:

Gravel Driveway repair and maintenance. 200' or so
Install new areas of driveway and dig out a section of hill to make a carport and build retaining walls.
move smaller boulders and repair rock walls
Repair and replace lots of railroad tie retaining walls
Bring in 30-40 yards of topsoil to put in place around my yard
Probably 10 yards of cedar chips for landscaping
countless stumps and trees to move or dig out, None over 10", most are smaller
Countless other jobs my significant other hasn't even told me I need to do yet

I looked for a used one, and they are out there, but none in Washington State. The shipping charges bring the price up so high that I feel I might be better off just buying new with the 0% financing.

I want it optioned out with:

Hydraulic thumb
4 in 1 Bucket on the front
3 pt Assembly for Land scraper or box blade
18" digging bucket

Low hour used machines seem to vary from 22-28k. Add 2-3k shipping and no 0% financing. I don't want to use my cash to buy it because I am in the middle of a huge house restoration and would like to keep it free for that.

My quotes so far are: $41230 on the "Build your Kubota" site.
$41,230 from the closest local dealer. 16 miles away.
$35,980 from the second local dealer. 17 miles opposite way
$35,000 from a guy online many states away.

None of these prices have sales tax included. 10% more for my lovely state.:thumbdown:

Can any of you think of anything else I should add to make my life easier?
Am I an idiot for wanting to spend more for the B26 rather than adding a backhoe to the 2650?
How much would you try to get these quotes down to keep playing them against each other. I fully understand the value in a good relationship with a local dealer who I need for service, parts, and warranty work. I also want to help support my local business neighbors, but I'm also not trying to just give my money away.

Advice would be appreciated.

Matt

/ New B26 tlb. #2  
Interesting outline of your thoughts on the purchase. I have a prior model tlb setup (b3300) and always thought a B26 would be the one upgrade I would consider. What was price for b2650 tlb set up vs b26? I think the 2650 could handle the tasks outlined, but the B26 is heavier duty for sure as the price reflects.

If you were referencing Barlow's as online dealer from many states away as one quote received, I purchased two tractors from them, including current setup, and it was excellent experience each time.

Anyway, I would suggest a set of aftermarket forks (construction attachments lightweight model for example) as a must have. Maybe even the factory toolbox and in the future a ripper tooth for BH. The 4 in 1 bucket would be nice, but that might be one thing to leave off if keeping down the cost is a must. If your budget allows...go for it....you'll enjoy the machine.

/ New B26 tlb.
I think you're probably right about the forks. I am sure I could use those quite a bit. I didn't get a quote from Barlow's, but that is a good idea.
The 2650 didn't have the 4 in 1 or a hydraulic thumb, only mechanical, and that is a huge turn off for me. The price was lots better, closer to 28k. The toolbox is another great idea. I didn't think if that.

/ New B26 tlb. #4  
Yes, I used a hydraulic thumb on an excavator once and it was nice. Isn't the 4 in 1 around 3k on the 26? Remove that and you're lowest 26 quote is a little closer to your 2650 quote...rationalization to spend your money!

/ New B26 tlb. #5  
I have a b26tlb w 4n1 and thumb and won't have any other tractor with out a 4n1, but for rocks I really like my grapple. The other thing I did was foam fill the tires witch is really helpful as it added 1200lbs+ and I never get flats. I just added a hydraulic top link and should have done it from the beginning.
This little tractor will work circles around even L series with a hoe added.

/ New B26 tlb. #6  
The B26 is a great tractor. I think it will do everything you want and more. I also agree that a set of forks would be a big plus. And maybe a grapple bucket instead of the 4/1

/ New B26 tlb. #7  
The B26 is a great tractor. I think it will do everything you want and more. I also agree that a set of forks would be a big plus. And maybe a grapple bucket instead of the 4/1

MattRat, I'm a homeowner with a few mountain, rocky acres in Colorado. I think you are smart to go to a TLB instead of adding a backhoe to the 2650. Not that it wouldn't work, but the TLB is built specifically for the types of jobs you are describing. The L37 TLB also gets an awful lot of good reviews. You might look for a good used one of those. For an acre I personally wouldn't go larger than the L37, but either it or the B26 would fit. In fact, all of Kubota's TLBs are a fairly recent model line and uniformly get excellent reviews. Good machines. You'll appreciate yours whichever it turns out to be.

If I were optioning, I'd go with the 18" BH bucket for rocky soil and would even consider a smaller bucket before going larger.
Be SURE to get the quick attach option for the backhoe and also for the FEL.
On extras, you can often get them thrown into a deal....so deal for them. I sure wish I had a single tooth for stumps and just for generally scratching out trenches for water lines and such. It would be very handy. I keep meaning to get one. Get one of those if you can.
I bought a QA front rock bucket. Wise purchase. In fact, I bought two with different bottom spacing. They are just the thing for moving large amounts of bulky material because you can see through it. Also it is important in our ground to be able to sort rocks out of dirt and leaves the dirt behind. The rock bucket pays for itself in saving dirt...not to mention is saves and sorts rocks for other projects. The SSQA makes it a two minute job to switch FEL buckets.

The backhoe thumb is a wonderful thing. Having the thumb makes our TLB into a whole different machine. Be sure to get it. In fact, get it before anything else.
If I had to save money I'd forgo the 4n1 bucket in favor of the backhoe thumb. If you get the hydraulic power to the loader arms as an option (a good deal & sometimes standard equpt) then you can always add a grapple to work with both the rock bucket and your regular loader bucket in the future.
The backhoe bucket plus thumb will do most jobs that a grapple or 4n1 would do. Not as well, but reasonably. Get a nice 10' chain that is easy to handle and have hooks mounted on both the FEL bucket and the BH bucket.

I got the 3pt option kit, but have never used it. But I'm glad to have it.

I did NOT get the optional combination of wheel weight and 2" wider rear tire spacers. But the M59 is plenty heavy as it. For the B26/L37 I would consider that option. Don't load the tires until you see how it works on your land and slope without loading.
I built my own tool box, but did get the hood protector.
Lovely machines. Keep us posted. I always am interested to hear from someone else using a TLB in rocky ground. Lots to learn.
Luck, rScotty

/ New B26 tlb. #8  
I have a B26 with hydraulic thumb and I wouldn't do without it. As for a 4n1 bucket, never used one but if the cost is $3000 difference over a HD FEL bucket, I would go with a separate grapple with rock rake especially if you will be working a lot of rocky soil. I think you would appreciate it more than a 4n1 to pick up rocks without getting a lot of dirt mixed in.
If you have hard soil, go with a 12" bucket rather than 18". The original owner of my B26 bought it with a 12 and 18" bucket and immediately cut the 18" down to an 8" for trenching. The B26 is heavy at 4000# but still not heavy enough to use an 18" bucket in heavy hard clay soil or hard rocky soil. An 18 or 24" bucket would be good for cleaning out ditches or mud banks but for serious digging in hard soils it just wont handle anything bigger than a 12". I like the 8" for trenching in water lines. An 8" ditch is wide enough for ones foot to fit into the ditch but not so wide that you cant just drive straight across it with the tractor when finished digging and there is not so much backfill to do. Also when backfilling, the front tires fit dandily into the trench for compacting.

/ New B26 tlb. #9  
I have a B26 with hydraulic thumb and I wouldn't do without it. As for a 4n1 bucket, never used one but if the cost is $3000 difference over a HD FEL bucket, I would go with a separate grapple with rock rake especially if you will be working a lot of rocky soil. I think you would appreciate it more than a 4n1 to pick up rocks without getting a lot of dirt mixed in.
If you have hard soil, go with a 12" bucket rather than 18". The original owner of my B26 bought it with a 12 and 18" bucket and immediately cut the 18" down to an 8" for trenching. The B26 is heavy at 4000# but still not heavy enough to use an 18" bucket in heavy hard clay soil or hard rocky soil. An 18 or 24" bucket would be good for cleaning out ditches or mud banks but for serious digging in hard soils it just wont handle anything bigger than a 12". I like the 8" for trenching in water lines. An 8" ditch is wide enough for ones foot to fit into the ditch but not so wide that you cant just drive straight across it with the tractor when finished digging and there is not so much backfill to do. Also when backfilling, the front tires fit dandily into the trench for compacting.

All real good points, Gary. I have the M59 TLB which came with both 18" and 24" BH buckets. At 8000 lbs and 60 hp it will easily handle either bucket in any soil....but I find that I normally use the 18" BH bucket (and often wish I had a 12") just because more projects need a narrow ditch than a wide one. In fact, a wide trench is not only not needed, a wide trench often disturbs more it needs to. A smaller bucket is more precise. And if the trench does need to be wider, the smaller bucket can do that with only a little extra work. but the reverse isn't true.

I can see where a commercial operator would want to move as much dirt as possible in each stroke, but that just isn't the case for a homeowner who is concerned with different things. Most people working on their own place don't begrudge an extra hour spent on the back hoe doing a precise job. In fact, it's therapy.
luck, rScotty

/ New B26 tlb. #10  
I agree with all the comments above and that the QA on the hoe is a must I have a 12", 18" and 30" that I built and it is great for backfill and grading. The 12" it ok but in have wet soil I spent more time cleaning it than using it.