Compact tractor sizing

/ Compact tractor sizing #1  

Michael Aos

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2370-1 RTV500
I understand certain planned activities will push the sizing one way or another, but I still think there is a relationship between tractor size and acres.

I was thinking something like this:

1-3 acres - BX
3-5 acres, B01
5-10 acres, B50
10 acres+ L

Sound about right?
--

/ Compact tractor sizing #2  
Not Bad. I think the L could sneak into the 5-10 acre category depending on.

Here is the Green version or what you say

Acreage............. Kubota ..........Deere
1-3 acres ..............BX................1xxx.......SCUT
3-5 acres,..............B01..............2xxx .....Small Frame CUT
5-10 acres............. B50.............3xxx ....Mid Frame CUT
10 acres+............ L Grand..........4xxx
...Large Frame CUT

/ Compact tractor sizing #3  
I have 5 acres & my L3200 was pretty good. A B might be enough, but i think it would be to small for my needs on 5-10 acres. The Grand L is a LOT more tractor than an economy L even if the L3200 is only 3 HP less than a L3560.

I upgraded to a cabbed L4060 & justifed getting the nicer cabbed machine by doing side work. I can mow 5 acre lots of rougher field in an evening after my day job, even before the upgrade. Would be rough ride & slower with A B.

The 3000 series JDs are physically smaller than a L3560 or L4060, but have equal or more HP. Good for mowing heavy grass & manuverability, but not for lifting or pulling. The 4000 series JDs are noticably bigger & heavier than the Grand Ls. When looking at the premium 3000 series JDs compared to a Grand L the JDs were several grand more for less tractor with equal HP, lots more for more HP.

/ Compact tractor sizing #4  
I understand certain planned activities will push the sizing one way or another, but I still think there is a relationship between tractor size and acres.

I was thinking something like this:

1-3 acres - BX
3-5 acres, B01
5-10 acres, B50
10 acres+ L

Sound about right?
--

I don't think so. I've had several BXs, Fs, Bs and a couple of Ls. Size implements and use are more determining factors than size of property. :2cents:

/ Compact tractor sizing #5  
I don't think so. I've had several BXs, Fs, Bs and a couple of Ls. Size implements and use are more determining factors than size of property. :2cents:

Yes. What he said.

/ Compact tractor sizing #6  
The 4000 series JDs are noticably bigger & heavier than the Grand Ls.

Actually not. The L6060, for example, outspecs the 4720 in weight, wheelbase, 3 point capacity, etc. For day-to-day work though, the Grand L's and 4000's would work at essentially the same level. They compete nose to nose.

/ Compact tractor sizing #7  
Actually not. The L6060, for example, outspecs the 4720 in weight, wheelbase, 3 point capacity, etc. For day-to-day work though, the Grand L's and 4000's would work at essentially the same level. They compete nose to nose.
I've got a L4060 & all the Grand Ls except the L3560 are the same frame. I'm pretty sure the JD was a fair bit heavier & more expensive (even the economy model) than my Kubota when I was looking a year ago.

/ Compact tractor sizing #8  
My BX25D is plenty sufficient for my 5 acres (and garage size). I use mine to mow, trench, snow plow, and attack/move scrub oak. I have a wicked root compact grapple, snow blade and a 60" belly mower. I needed a back hoe for trenching more than I needed a bigger tractor.

/ Compact tractor sizing #9  
Well, IF I had 3 acres and I was doing anything besides cutting grass, I sure wouldn't want to be stuck with a BX!

SR

/ Compact tractor sizing #10  
I've got a L4060 & all the Grand Ls except the L3560 are the same frame. I'm pretty sure the JD was a fair bit heavier & more expensive (even the economy model) than my Kubota when I was looking a year ago.

Such a difference isn't showing up in the published specs presented on the Kubota and Deere websites:

http://www.kubota.com/product/LSeries/L60.aspx

John Deere 472 4;) 4 Series Compact Utility Tractors

Using the largest models (L6060 and 4720):

Kub 6060 JD 4720

Weight (no cab): 3,990 lb 3,700 lb
Wheelbase: 75.4" 71.5"
3pt lift at 24" 2,976 lb 2,500 lb
Engine: 148.5 Cu in 148.9 Cu in
62.0 hp 66.0 hp

Comparing your 4060 to the equivalent 4120 shows the same thing: your 4060 weighs 3,759 lbs, just a hair more than a 4120 at 3,700 lbs. I figure you got at least as much tractor as Deere has available in the 4 series at 42-43 hp.

Wouldn't doubt that the MSRP prices differ.