Buying Advice Is the BX2380 capable of doing what I need v. Land prep for seeding

/ Is the BX2380 capable of doing what I need v. Land prep for seeding #1  

darrylgmc

Tractor
Kubota BX2380
Hello all, long time listenener, first time caller.

My father is in the market for a BX2380, and I was hoping it would fit my needs as well. I believe my yard needs to be tilled /final graded/ and the rocks removed in order for lawn prep. The perimeter boundary will be planting beds, so I wish to use the BX to move trees in place. The soil is quite compacted so I dont think I shouldn't skip the tilling.

It's hard to make out in photos, but here goes:

puhFrpM.jpg

tVVVocl.jpg

Y06QQR9.jpg

fDQrxwx.jpg

SZTMbGk.jpg

So far the attachments on the BX2380 will be the front loader and woods rotary tiller (thinking of adding the lifting forks). What other attachments should I look into? I'm considering renting a harley rake, or rock hound. I could always just till and use a landscaping rake to remove the rocks.

Thoughts, comments? TIA

/ Is the BX2380 capable of doing what I need v. Land prep for seeding #2  
If you decide to buy instead of rent then buy a RatchetRake instead of the Landscape rake. The RR is more of a pick out rocks and prep soil for planting than the landscape rake. I've owned both and the RR is a permanent implement in my implement stable. Ratchet Rake

/ Is the BX2380 capable of doing what I need v. Land prep for seeding
If you decide to buy instead of rent then buy a RatchetRake instead of the Landscape rake. The RR is more of a pick out rocks and prep soil for planting than the landscape rake. I've owned both and the RR is a permanent implement in my implement stable. Ratchet Rake

For that price, I should probably buy one regardless. If it doesn't cut the mustard, I could always look into renting one of the power rakes. Thanks!

/ Is the BX2380 capable of doing what I need v. Land prep for seeding #4  
I do not believe there is a Harley Rake sized for BX weight tractor.

I would use a Landscape Rake to windrow rocks, then pick up as many as possible BEFORE tilling. More will come up.

I agree with JOHNTHOMAS that a Ratchet Rake will deal with the rocks better than a Landscape Rake.

Ratchet Rake will give you rocks in piles rather than in windrows.

You will find a Ratchet Rake a more versatile tool than a Landscape Rake.

You can order a Ratchet Rake from the TBN STORE, button at top of this page.

MORE: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/375397-ratchet-rake-today.html?highlight=

Attachments

• DSC00451.JPG
    DSC00451.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 574
Last edited:
   / Is the BX2380 capable of doing what I need v. Land prep for seeding #5  
That looks like more rocks than dirt. I would cover it up with good dirt and be done. If that's not an option I would till it up ( preferably after you pick up most of the big rock by hand). Then pick up the rock which is going to require a lot of manual labor with anything short of a Harley rake. The other option would be to hire someone with a Harley rake.

I do not believe there is a Harley Rake sized for BX weight tractor.

I would use a Landscape Rake to windrow rocks, then pick up as many as possible BEFORE tilling. More will come up.

I agree with JOHNTHOMAS that a Ratchet Rake will deal with the rocks better than a Landscape Rake.

Ratchet Rake will give you rocks in piles rather than in windrows.

You will find a Ratchet Rake a more versatile tool than a Landscape Rake.

You can order a Ratchet Rake from the TBN STORE, button at top of this page.

MORE: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/375397-ratchet-rake-today.html?highlight=
I see they make a 48" harley rake. Harley Rake, Tractor PTO Power Box Rake TM-4 series, 48" working width
It doesn't give hydraulic min requirements, but HP range is 15-22. But that's a good point, it might not be easy to find a rental.

I think Im sold on the ratchet rake (althought Im starting to think you guys get commission :p )

That looks like more rocks than dirt. I would cover it up with good dirt and be done. If that's not an option I would till it up ( preferably after you pick up most of the big rock by hand). Then pick up the rock which is going to require a lot of manual labor with anything short of a Harley rake. The other option would be to hire someone with a Harley rake.

Thank you for mentioning the dirt quality. I've heard confilcting information from landscapers, so I don't know which way to go..maybe I should post on a landscaping forum to get tips on what I should do first, then decide which tools I need.

If I get 3-4" of top soil delivered, that will cost about $7000-9000, at that point sod would be a cheaper option. Do you think sod would be a better option after I rake out the surface rocks?

/ Is the BX2380 capable of doing what I need v. Land prep for seeding #8  
I think Im sold on the ratchet rake (althought Im starting to think you guys get commission :p )

Many tractor implements evolved from animal drawn equipment. (plows, haying equipment)

Others were developed by prolific inventor, Harry Ferguson, inventor of the Three Point Hitch, in the period 1930 - 1950.

Not very many NEW attachments. Ratchet Rake is an exception. Simple in concept and functional. Perhaps some of us old guys appreciate them more than new guys, who cannot appreciate incremental improvement over old stuff.

I have not used RR's Snow Edge nor Rip & Dig but they are interesting bucket attachments too.

I wish someone would make an SSQA spade to attach directly to FEL rather than bucket spade to attach to FEL bucket.

We try to share/expose/promote useful new equipment on this site. Tractor/implement buyers tend to be conservative.

Last edited:
   / Is the BX2380 capable of doing what I need v. Land prep for seeding #9  
Do you think sod would be a better option after I rake out the surface rocks?

My experience in Florida:

I twice had my yard professionally sodded with primo quality St. Augustine grass @ $3,500 each time. It mostly died within thirty months. Against some advice I overseeded with Argentina Bahia pasture grass, which is gradually displacing the St. Augustine. St. Augustine has 2-1/2" roots, Argentine Bahia has 8" roots. They do not look very different. The big difference is that Argentine Bahia requires 50% more frequent mowing because it is so vigorous. I am happy. (My lawn is irrigated.)

After the careful soil prep you are planning I would seed rather than sod. Most landscapers will tell you seed takes longer to establish than sod but is more durable. You can hire a service to hydro-seed if you wish. I cast seed by hand then roll in the seed. Poly rollers are cheap at Lowes, Home Depot and Tractor Supply. Easy to run a piece of 7/8" all thread through the poly roller pipe handle, then through bull's eyes on Lower Links of tractor Three Point Hitch, then nut.

Attachments

• DSC00445.JPG
    DSC00445.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 499
Last edited:
Many tractor implements evolved from animal drawn equipment. (plows, haying equipment)

Others were developed by Harry Ferguson, inventor of the Three Point Hitch, in the period 1930 - 1950.

Not very many NEW implements. Ratchet Rake is an exception. Simple in concept and functional.

I have not used RR's Snow Edge nor Rip & Dig but they are interesting bucket attachments too.

I wish someone would make an SSQA spade to attach directly to FEL rather than bucket spade to attach to FEL bucket.

We try to share/promote useful new equipment on this site. Tractor/implement buyers tend to be conservative.

It's funny you mention the spade directly to the FEL, as I was just looking for such a product. I also have ~ 100 trees to plant when I saw a "tree scoop" attachment.

FFC 42" Tree Scoop Attachment | Skid Steer Solutions

Since I'm new to all this, would that attachment work on a bx2380 FEL? But now I'm also questioning if the BX2380 is enough tractor since the lifting capacity is only around 600lbs.