Good deal on tractor or souped up lawn mower?

/ Good deal on tractor or souped up lawn mower? #1  

MrMagoo

Tractor
Kubota L2050dt
Hi all,

Im looking at a kubota L2050 for 6900 dollars. Its 25hp 4wd and has a loader. Its dinged up a bit but started right up doesnt smoke and everything works on it. Is this a good price for this tractor?

My second question is can I use this tractor? I recently bought 28 acres with a 15 acre pasture. I need a tractor to keep up a .25 mile driveway, land scape my yard, keep up trails in the woods and keep up my pasture. Im wondering if this size machine would fit my needs and budget. Also I question if this machine is big enough to work in my pasture. Im trying to stay below 10k for tractor/loader and implements. Im hoping to find a tractor to do most of what I need and maybe in a couple years get a second tractor as my wife allows. Am I looking at a useful tractor or a souped up lawn mower?

/ Good deal on tractor or souped up lawn mower? #2  
<font color="blue"> with a 15 acre pasture. </font>
It takes me about 90 minutes to mow a 3 acre pasture with a 5 foot rotary cutter hooked to my New Holland TC25D, resulting in a rate of 2 acres/hour. For 15 acres, you're looking at the better part of a day to complete the job. Definitely not a job for a 'souped up lawn mower', IMO.

/ Good deal on tractor or souped up lawn mower? #3  
Around here, a 4wd tractor with loader in any condition cannot be had for less than $10,000. Better move quick if this is what you want.

/ Good deal on tractor or souped up lawn mower? #4  
GRAB it! You'll be sorry if you don't IMHO. G

/ Good deal on tractor or souped up lawn mower? #5  
The Kubota Prior Products webpage shows the L2050 to be only 20 hp. That missing 5 hp may be the difference in whether it is a good deal or not although the price does look attractive.

I cut 9 acres with a 24 hp at a little over an acre an hour - steep slopes and 4' mower - so you're probably looking at a full day and maybe two to cut your pasture. It should handle the yardwork and the driveway without too much trouble.

It's probably still a good deal. You can use it for a couple of years as planned and by that time you will know if you need that second tractor and be in a better position to make a decision as to what size will ultimately suit you best.

/ Good deal on tractor or souped up lawn mower?
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Ive been thinking about this tractor all day at work. It has 936 hours on it. It will need new tires soon. The guy selling it bought it to level dirt at his construction sites.

EastTexFrank I checked the kubota.com website and the tractor is 25 hp engine but 20hp at the pto. That will all me to use a 4ft bushhog?

Ive looked at some local grey market dealers. One guy wanted 8k for a 25hp 4wd grey market kubota with new koyker loader. Other than being repainted and new tires, I cant say that that rig was in any better shape than this tractor.

I recently went to an equipment auction where they drive the equipment between two sets of bleachers and allow people to bid. The older 50 to 70 horse tractors, that ran well but had 2-4k hours on them, sold for between 4 and 8 thousand dollars. Later on I could possibly buy one of these tractors to work with in the pasture? That would give me two decent used tractors for the price of a new compact with FEL.

I guess my only hang up is that if i get this tractor to use in and around my yard it will be light on muscle in the pasture. If I get a tractor for the pasture that is big enough for discs and a nice sized bushhog, it will tear up my yard like a rabid armodillo on a grub hunt.

Any further suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

/ Good deal on tractor or souped up lawn mower? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> EastTexFrank I checked the kubota.com website and the tractor is 25 hp engine but 20hp at the pto. That will all me to use a 4ft bushhog? </font> )</font>

Sorry, I must have misread the information. My B2400 (24 hp engine, 18 hp @ PTO) is recommended for use with a 4' bushhog but if the pasture is flat and not too overgrown you could possibly run a 5' with that machine.

/ Good deal on tractor or souped up lawn mower? #8  
Around here, an 8N with loader will run you about $5,000.00. $6,900 to add 4x4 and diesel doesn't sound that bad. Loaders significantly add to the value fo the tractor.

Steve