Comparison Thinking too hard

/ Thinking too hard #1  

pencil pusher

Tractor
L 39 TLB
OK.so have owned TLB's with GST for years and back in about 2005 I tried two hoe's out with the HST and they both sucked. the JD 110 and the kubota L45. Hard on fuel and just not there so new L39 with thumb and third function hydrolics for 4in1 bucket. Now I'm thinking new again and the L39 is no more..AWSOME tractor and want a new one but, now it's L47 and HST...Question ..are they any good for real work or is it useless and hard to work...the L39 can do a days work and still have fuel in the tank. Like all good things some non operating engineer trying to justify there job by screwing with a good thing.

/ Thinking too hard
thinking I am an army of one, do you imply I might be the only one that doubts the HST can do the job competing with a GST. I have spent many hours on a TLB doing trenching, loading trucks and custom landscaping with 99% of the time using a GST..just old I guess..New is not always better.But I like new.

/ Thinking too hard #3  
I am not really sure what you are wanting to do with the machine.

HSTs are good but different - personally I am not a fan of them for many things but having said that i love my Versatile 150 as a loader tractor that is a hydro. It comes down to a matter of personal preference. My ZTR is obviously hydro and I would not have it any other way but my 1710 is geared and it is a great little machine and I would it to be hydro.

/ Thinking too hard #4  
Just my little input. I had a real thing for the 110 when it came out. Almost traded in our JD 6200. Then found out, that it is basically a yellow 4000 series tractor with a few differences, but engine, tranny and rear end were the same.

One guy complained that when going over uneven ground with a loaded bucket, the machine would twist and the fan would rub on the shroud.

Ah, but it had the heavy duty protectors around the tire valve stems!

You wanna do some serious work, buy a serious machine. Not Ag or home/estate owner grade.

/ Thinking too hard
Morning from the Shuswap. I thought I was doing serious work with the L39 TLB . This one has some 3600 hrs on it and showing some wear and tear. As far as I'm concerned both the previous L35 TLB and this L39 TLB demonstrate more guts than the operator has brains. In other words I sometimes find myself in some very difficult and precarious places and still here to write about it. It is for the combination of back hoe loader that make this such a fine machine. But weater and time are showing and this week in the shop for wirring issues caused be road grime. Ever dealt with 3rd function solenoids that don't work?Not in the stick, not in the lower relay, but too low of voltage delivered through the fuse.

/ Thinking too hard #6  
HST+ with auto throttle will give you the fuel savings you would have had with a GST.

I believe the hydro can push just as hard, but if you like the throw it in gear and make it grunt and stall sense you will not get it. Its just as productive, but has a different feel.

/ Thinking too hard
HST+ with auto throttle will give you the fuel savings you would have had with a GST.

I believe the hydro can push just as hard, but if you like the throw it in gear and make it grunt and stall sense you will not get it. Its just as productive, but has a different feel.

Thanks.. I can only hope that there has been some advancement in these tractors. Previous HST's I've tried often want to crepe on there own. Posible adjustments but still i don't like. Do you know what the two yellow fuse looking things are on the third function hydraulics..The young fellow at the shop has removed them from the horologic system in order to restore power to the system...I think a mistake only to give me grief later. Are they a capacitor or? and in there to protect the third function as they are rater a 3 amp.

/ Thinking too hard #8  
I just have a basic 3-range HST on my MX. No fancy autothrottle or stall guard.

With the machine well ballasted (fluid in tires+609# wheel weights + 1600# bushhog) and R1 tires bringing total machine weight to 8500# or so....I can still spin all the tires in 4wd. So I don't know how it would be possible to do any better than that with a GST.

No creep either unless you are on a pretty good grade, then just gotta set the brake is all, no different than a GST.

But yup, it drinks fuel. That's the price of admission for the convenience. Converting mechanical power, to hydraulic power, back to mechanical isn't the most efficient. But it sure is nice.