Dealer Kubota Parts purchased from Kubota Dealers...

/ Kubota Parts purchased from Kubota Dealers... #1  

Junkman

Tractor
2003 Kubota BX-22
Has anyone found a Kubota dealer that will discount parts prices like the automobile dealers do? I have found that the dealers that I have asked for quotes for parts usually quote the list price or higher. Seems that they don't give any discounts on the parts. I have gone to the JD and Case dealerships and they always give a discount on parts orders and thank you for the business. Is it just the Kubuta dealers way of doing business, or is it that they just don't have the room for discounting? I am not referring to inexpensive parts, but whole assemblies and / or major $$$$ purchases.

/ Kubota Parts purchased from Kubota Dealers... #2  
Junkman,
I sense that you're frustrated by something that happened lately, but you know the obvious response is "that's the way we do things in America". Everyone wants the most for their expertise/products, etc. I want the highest salary my employer is willing to pay. If I can find a better deal elsewhere, I'll move on if he's unwilling to match it. I have two Kubota dealerships within 20 miles of me and know of several others that make it easy to order online/via phone. Yes, I shop around too, but in my experience, the prices are pretty close across the mix. I also have about 10 Ford dealerships within 20 miles of me. Of course, the Ford guys have to work harder to be competitive because there's more competition.
As long as you are willing to pay list price or greater, why would Kubota dealers (or anyone else) settle for less? Unless they sell Kubotas/parts as a hobby, the dealers are in business to get the best return on their investment. Being the businessman that you are, I'm sure you know this better than most. You buy not just the tractor (or other product), but the whole way the company and its dealers do business. (Sort of like marriage, you get not just Junkwoman, but her entire family in the bargain.) <font color="red"> Buyer beware!</font>

I know! You can add a Kubota dealership to the petshop. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif You could sell to all TBN'ers at cost -10% and give free shipping, set up a slick online parts ordering service like Tractorsmart, give free advice 24/7 on a toll-free telephone #, publish a free newsletter with tips/projects/coupons for discounts, etc.
Hmm, doesn't sound like much of a smart business move to me either, but I think you see my point.

/ Kubota Parts purchased from Kubota Dealers... #3  
I thought that TractorSmart offered discount prices. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
At least they were cheaper than my local Kubota dealers.

/ Kubota Parts purchased from Kubota Dealers... #4  
Tractor Smart sells at the Kubota recomended price. Any dealer selling above that is adding an additonal markup.

/ Kubota Parts purchased from Kubota Dealers... #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Has anyone found a Kubota dealer that will discount parts prices like the automobile dealers do?)</font>

Kubota Parts prices are simply ridiculous by any measure. Yes one
can make the case for 'sales volume vs. end user cost' or 'charging the
absolute maximum the market will bear' but this logic is flawed.

Repair part sales should be an adjunct to equipment sales rather than an
attempt to gouge a captive audience. It is likely unsustainable long term
as consumers vote with their wallets and Kubota is not the only game in
town.

Ironically if sufficient need existed for repair parts it would naturally
open a market for others to sell Kubota compatible parts. Until such
time you can expect Kubota to continue to offer you the continued
negative experience at the parts counter.

/ Kubota Parts purchased from Kubota Dealers... #6  
Interesting points, thanks.
I did a quick online parts search. Here's a sample of what I found:

NH 914A 60" MMM - blade $23.37 each (x3 needed)
deck belt 49.50

JD 4110 Air cleaner element $16.50 (primary)
19.75 (secondary)
starter motor 656.08
60" MMM deck belt 31.75

Seems like Kubota is not the only company that believes it's the only game in town....

/ Kubota Parts purchased from Kubota Dealers... #7  
<font color="blue"> 914A deck belt 49.50
60" MMM deck belt 31.75</font>
Some perspective...
A serpentine belt for a 2003 Chevrolet K1500 costs $41.49.

The price of the starter is out of line. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif A starter for a 2001 Dodge Diesel 1 ton is only $310. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Kubota Parts purchased from Kubota Dealers... #8  
Right. The point is, all three manufacturers charge more for parts than they "should." Parts are obviously a high profit item. They will always remain so unless there is a reason (competition) that forces the manufacturers to change the practice. But I don't think it's realistic to expect a third party outfit to come in and provide more than limited aftermarket parts. Tractorsmart advertises that they have 130,000 Kubota parts available online! A similar number would probably be expected for the other two. Too small a market, too many parts to have to have available. Sure, you can find occasional substitutes (moral victories) for things like oil filters, but 99% of the parts on my tractor are proprietary, single-source items.

So what can you do?
1. Sell the tractor because you think it's "unfair" to pay the parts prices and do without the tractor altogether.
2. Buy a different brand and pay the other color's high prices.
3. Just don't replace broken parts and let the tractor sit in the garage.
4. Whine about how unfair it is and pay the going price anyway.
Me, I'll try to find the best value available, but I won't lose any sleep because I paid more than I think the part "should" cost. Time to quit whining and get to work! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Kubota Parts purchased from Kubota Dealers... #9  
<font color="red">(Repair part sales should be an adjunct to equipment sales rather than an attempt to gouge a captive audience. It is likely unsustainable long term as consumers vote with their wallets and Kubota is not the only game in
town.) </font>

FWIW, when I was in the market, I looked at both tractor and parts prices, among other things. High parts prices made a real difference to me, as I expect to keep the tractor for a long time.

I ended up with a Branson; Kioti came in second, and would have come from the same dealer.

/ Kubota Parts purchased from Kubota Dealers... #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( High parts prices made a real difference to me, as I expect to keep the tractor for a long time. )</font>

Exactly my point.

While the above or the alleged 'whining' may not produce immediate
results w/r/t price gouging it is more unlikely in the absence of either.