Intersting Deere Experience

/ Intersting Deere Experience #1  

skippy

I am planning to buy a new CUT next month and had a chance to go to a couple of different dealers around my area. I first went to Kubota (i have not settled on a brand yet) and was treated really well and told all the differences in the models what implements I could use and prices. I then made a trip to the Deere dealer, this was not so fun. I walked in the door and asked to speak to someone about CUTs. A man came out and asked me what I wanted...just like that. I stated I needed some info on CUTs in the 40-45 hp level, he quickly, without saying a word, led me to the brochure rack and looked through the rack stating he didn't think they had any brochures. "is that all you wanted?" I told the man I was interested in purchasing a CUT as well as a backhoe, tiller, rotary cutter, box blade and purhaps a finish mower. He then rushed, without a word, over to the counter scribbles some numbers down and tossed them over the counter..."heres a ball park" that was it...no sit down time to tell me which model I should look at...no explenation of the difference between Deere and other Manuf. Nothing...I asked if he had any other detailed info on implement and he said NO. I asked if he had anything I could look at ...he said NO.

I said "thanks anyway" and walked out...never to return again...Guess I'll have to look at another color machine...I;m sure (I hope) that this is not tyupical. Any opinions?

I also posted this in the deere section to see the response.

/ Intersting Deere Experience #2  
Darn shame about the rude salesman at the Deere store. Fortunately, all my experiences at any of the big 3 stores has been positive!

However, since most of us peruse all the forums, one post is adequate...

/ Intersting Deere Experience #3  
<font color="blue">Any opinions?</font>
Other TBNers have had similar experiences with NH dealers while others have had the same with Kubota delaers. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

<font color="blue">Guess I'll have to look at another color machine...</font>
IOW, it's not a function of the color, it's a function of the dealer. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Intersting Deere Experience #4  
That's been my experience as well. The best dealer experiences I had was with Bota, Deere, and NH. It was also what swung me back towards getting a "big 3" tractor. To date I have nothing but good to say about the 3 Deere dealers around me. There must be some bad dealers out there - but I wonder how someone like the dealer described above could stay in business very long with an attitude like that.

Skippy - I would try a few others around you. It sounds like you understand how important a good dealer is. There is another great post somewhere on the board about how easy it is to get too wrapped up in the "stats" - if the Bota dealer seems right then I'd bring my business there. They are great machines.

BTW - Where is your area? I'm curious if others on this boards have had this type of experience from this dealer you're talking about?

/ Intersting Deere Experience
This was the dealer in Farina Illinois. This is a south central Illinois location...I have been to the JD dealer in Vandalia Illinois and had a different experience but there is still this air of superiority that I can't shake...I will check out the blue and red dealers next.

/ Intersting Deere Experience #6  
Similar experience with a (Maryland) dealer selling both the New Holland and Kubota. I took the day off (it was a Thursday), brought the checkbook with me and I was ready to buy (BX2230 or NH TZ model).

When I got there, I waited 20 minutes for a salesman to come and talk to me, but I was fine. I wanted a buy a tractor.

When I asked him about MMM removal, loader removal and operational questions, he just said they are easy to remove, but he never bothered to show me which pin to pull or steps. Kind of just stand there and look at me. I was OK because I wanted to buy a tractor.

When I asked him about the NH TZ models, he said it's not worth selling. They will not push it, and suggested that I stay with the Kubota. He also added that they do rent out equipment, but only to their customers.

Interesting that he steered me to the Kubota, but never demo it.

I left the NH/Kubota dealer with the checkbook in my pocket - still wanting to buy a tractor. I visited a Deere dealer and the experience was better, but they only had one 2210 with no Loader or MMM. So they could not really show me the steps to remove loader . . .etc.

I did get a quote from them, then he salesman hurried to lunch.

Tractor salesman - they are funny people. Sometimes I think they work for non-profit 501 (C3) organizations . . .

/ Intersting Deere Experience #7  
Many of these operations are more accustomed to dealing with farmers --who run a buisness and buy for their buisness and often goverment agiencies like Dept of Highways etc and for other buisnesses like construction etc. They are often ill equipped and ill prepared for the "new" type homeowner tractor customer. Yeah, the companies make the product but the dealerships lag behind. I think one reason why some people seem to have better luck with Kubota dealerships is because Kubota has always sold small compact tractors and estate type machinery and thus are more skilled at handling private consumers. I am positive if a JD is what you want there is a dealer out there you can be comfortable with. If not get the Kubota. Good luck.
Oh, I did buy an implement from a JD dealer some time back, he knew I had a Kubota, he treated me very well and spent a bunch of time looking up various brands of this particular implement for me. This was not a high dollar purchase so he did it out of kindness and I did buy it. I would buy from him again, especially if he sold Kubota. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. J

/ Intersting Deere Experience #8  
I have difficulty in trying to explain.

Trescrows is right on.

Many dealers that handle the large farming impliments are accustomed to buyers that are already familiar with the equipment. The buyers have probably worked all their lives around the equipment and can answere many of the questions fellows like me ask just by looking.

Perhaps as an example in Saskatechewan there was one dealer on one side of the road and a Kubota dealer on the other. The Kubota site occupied maybe an acre. The dealer across the road [not green ] had a minimum of ten acres chock full of equipment that the Kubota tractors would not even be able to hook up to let alone move around the lot. There was just no call in this area for a small tractor.

In farming areas with which I am familiar The dealers handling only small tractors have a hard go. The local Alberta dealership for my tractor has changed location and ownership at least three times since mine was purchased.

Egon

/ Intersting Deere Experience #9  
I agree with Roy and others, it's a dealer thing, not a color thing. I have five Deere dealers in my vicinity. The one I use is a very large ag dealer but provides the best customer service by far. Two others (same ownership) specialize in lawn equipment and have never helped much with my needs. The other two are further away, ag dealers and have generally been pleasant when I've walked in.

Before I bought, I shopped around quite a bit in my various travels. Never found a dealer of any color that wouldn't at least take an interest in my needs /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Intersting Deere Experience #10  
Just be sure the air of superiority isn't just your impression... I found when shopping that I was expecting a used car dealer approach. NH, Bota, and Deere were all generally very low pressure, negative pressure you might say /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Once I adjusted my expectations and just relaxed and started asking informed questions I found them all helpful... and willing to spend the time with me that I needed.

HCWUSA stated above about walking in with and then out with checkbook in hand. It's funny, my experience at one Kubota/NH dealership was similar. The folks were real nice... but they didn't have equipment set up that I could try, and I really wanted to buy from them that day (L3130). In hindsight it almost seemed like they lost my sale simply due to lack of pressure.

Well I'm rambling, good luck checking out the other dealers, and for now, forget about color! Just see what you like, and what dealership you like.

Take Care,