Buying Advice Buying advice needed - any issues with B2301?

/ Buying advice needed - any issues with B2301? #1  

AZBen

Tractor
Kubota B2650
Have done lots of reading and research in my quest for my first S/CUT. I had narrowed it down to the Massey GC1715 or Kubota BX2380, but I can't get over the reduced lift capacity of the BX2380 vs GC1715, especially with the QA on the 2380. Because of that I was leaning towards the GC1715 but the closest dealer to me (65 miles) doesn't seem that interested in earning my business. On the other hand, the Kubota dealer is less than 5 minutes from where I work, and about 15 miles from my house. He's very eager to do business with me and has been very competitive with pricing. I'd like to keep my cost below $20K, preferably closer to $18K, with loaded R4 tires, 54 FEL, pallet forks, and rear blade.

My needs are fairly simple: Maintain 2 acres, mostly the existing horse arena and barn area. No mowing. Mostly moving and smoothing quarter minus rock using the FEL, so the bigger bucket will be handy for both scooping/moving and backfilling, and better lift capacity for large scoops of gravel/fewer trips to the gravel pile. Occasionally will pick out and move very large rocks. And occasionally will use to move bales of hay using QA fork. The biggest use though will be weekly hauling of heavy bags of manure (stacked on a pallet) to my dumpster. My back and shoulders can't take much more slinging those bags into the back of my Polaris Ranger! 10-14 bags weekly, bags are typically 30 pounds each but if it's been raining can get close to 50 pounds.

The B2301 seems to compare nicely and even exceed to the GC1715 in terms of lift capacity. I don't have a final quote yet but it's probably going to come in 1000-1500 more than the GC1715, but within my budget. Given all the above I'm now leaning towards the B2301.

It seems most of the forum action here and other places on the 2301 was in the 2015-2016 timeframe. I don't see much about them now in terms of volume, and has me wondering if something is wrong with that particular model, or perhaps is there an update planned from Kubota and everyone is biding their time before jumping in on a new one? It has the Kubota name and support behind it so I'm not worried about it becoming obsolete, but just wondering if the lack of more recent volume on the 2301 (or 2601) is indicative of anything I should be aware of. Or maybe it's just my perception, or a good sign because everyone loves theirs!

Given all the above, does the 2301 seem like a good fit for my needs? Or should I be looking at a B2650 or L2501, which I know would exceed my softish 20K budget?

Thoughts/comments appreciated.

/ Buying advice needed - any issues with B2301? #2  
Check out the messick's YouTube channel. They have a lot of good info.

Also have the dealer go through the differences between the 2650 and 2301.

/ Buying advice needed - any issues with B2301? #3  
I have a b2601 that has been flawless for the 70 hours of use I have asked of it. Same machine, with the larger engine. Mine has no trouble lifting a full bucket of rock and will pull a 5' mower with no trouble. FYI I gave $18,200 for it 2 years ago with a skid steer bucket, one rear remote and a set of pallet forks.

Jason

/ Buying advice needed - any issues with B2301? #4  
Hi,

If you have been looking @ Massey and are thinking B2301 buy the Ferguson 1526. It is along the same lines as the B2601 and B2650 but with Auto Throttle hydro, better fit and finish than Kubota and an ALO loader. I was quoted $17,200 here in Maine this summer. That tractor is 20 PTO HP at the shaft. I do like the B2601 over BX and 2301 but would go B3350 over 2650 BUT that goes over your budget and they have had some Regen issues. Check out the new Deere 2025R also.

Brian

/ Buying advice needed - any issues with B2301? #5  
I've had a B2601 for a few years. Love it. I wish I had gotten SSQA but the Kubota version is very heavy so it eats into loader capacity.

I first looked at BX but it was too small. I took my wife to the dealer, she looked at the BX and said nope too small, we looked at the 2301 and again she said too small. They didn't have a 2601 so we went but another dealer that was closed but just inside the fence was a 2601 next to a 2301 and we could see it appeared to be the right size.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

/ Buying advice needed - any issues with B2301? #6  
I was impressed with the B2301 nearly a couple years ago when I finally traded my very troublesome JD 1025R for a 2025R. Did a spreadsheet, and the B2301 came out ahead, but it was very new at that time, and the Kubota dealer didn't have one with so much as an FEL on it to try out.

Hope it works out for you. I posted here a few months back asking about people who'd bought B2301s re their experience. Seemed good. You might do a search and find it.

Big thing lacking in SCUTs is lack of turning brakes. Many even have the hydraulic cooling fan underneath where it is easily damaged by brush. Gotta go to 2 series JDs or B series Kubotas. Not familiar with the other tractor models.

Ralph

/ Buying advice needed - any issues with B2301? #7  
I bought my B2601 3 years ago, no problems what's so ever. Does everything I expected of it. My property is mostly on a hill so didn't take long to figure out I needed 2 1/2" wheel spacers and ballast.

/ Buying advice needed - any issues with B2301? #8  
Very rarely do you have the need for turning brakes on a tractor with front wheel assist, I probably unlock my brakes once every 2 or 3 months and it is not for turning but to stop a rear wheel that is slipping on the tree roots. Turn the wheel in the direction you want to turn and engage the front wheels and they will pull you into the turn.

Now the Massey MF35 that I have has a light front end and with no loader on I can stand on one brake and just about turn on a dime.

David

/ Buying advice needed - any issues with B2301? #9  
If you want to turn without turning brakes, you need turf tires. R4s slip too much. They're good for pulling straight but lousy for turning. Think the last turfs I got for the 4010 were high ply. Those might stand up to FEL work. That was the problem with the original turfs on it. Still, turning brakes will allow you to rotate it right around that stopped rear wheel.

Ralph

/ Buying advice needed - any issues with B2301? #10  
The 2301 replaced the 2320 a few years ago - same basic tractor so a search on the 2320 / 2360 / 2390 should give you plenty of reading on equivalent tractors, but for different hp ratings. The 2920 was discontinued due to Tier 4 emissions requirements so no 2901 model.