Buying New MX vs M series

/ Buying New MX vs M series #1  

cjcome1

Tractor
Kubota M7060, Case 1290
Hello all, I'm new to the forum, though the last few weeks, I've been searching quite a bit on here. I'm looking to buy a new tractor and have been on the fence between an MX and M series. I currently live on a place, just over 10 acres, but I do have a camp directly across the street from me that is approx. 6,400 acres, and I've been doing a love of bush hogging and road grading there since I've been in the club. my father maintains quite a bit of property and cuts hay a few times a year. His main tractor is is an M9540 and we use the case 1290 that I have, and an IH1086 to complete all of the hay work.

The MX would probably suit all my current needs here and at the camp, but I believe the M would be much better suited for working on hay. We will still have the 1290 now, but I'm trying to look ahead and can see if it craps out, the need for assistance with hay would be needed. My only worry is that the 10 acres I am on has quite a bit of trees, and bush hogging may be hindered with a larger tractor, as well as a few places at the camp. Does anyone have much experience with this and offer any advice?

I was looking at the MX5800 HST and the M6060, $4k more for the M6060. After looking though for $2k more at my local dealer, I can jump from the M6060 to the M7060, so I probably should be looking between the MX5800 and the M7060, both with FEL and 4wd. I feel this should be more of a lifetime purchase, but would hate to go too big per say. Any opinions between the the three mentioned above? References to other posts on similar subjects are more than welcome as well.

Last edited:
   / Buying New MX vs M series #2  
Welcome to TBN and the forum. Some thought - if you think there may be serious "clearance" problems - recognize this - the MX5800 - M6060 - M7060 are all basically the same size tractor. Also - Kubota never made a M9040 - M8540 or 9540 - Yes.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three tractors. You SELDOM hear anybody say - the tractor I purchased is too big. Its usually - I wish I had gone a little bigger.

Get yourself to your local Kubota dealer and spend some time sitting on each unit - get a feeling for the controls and how they are located.

Even if you are only fifteen years old - with proper maintenance - any of the three units will still be going strong when its time to pass it on to your grandson.

/ Buying New MX vs M series #4  
There you go. I don't think you could find a better resource than that. ;)

Price aside, you just have the weigh the pro and cons of the MX and M series for your particular needs. And if still undecided, find a dealer that has both series in stock and get a first hand look for a general feeling and the difference in sizes.

/ Buying New MX vs M series
Oosik,you are correct, it is a M9540 (typo on my part). They are close in dimensions, but 10" in width could make a difference possibly. Also, the 2' difference in turn radius, may make a difference. Wanted to see if anyone had experience with the differences that would drive them to the smaller.

Been to a couple dealers, and I'll say I'm just about sold on the M7060, just figured I'd check that there wasn't several people saying the smaller would be better for one reason or another. I do agree that I usually only hear I wish I would have went bigger, including a buddy of mine that JUST bought an L series in the 47 hp range.

/ Buying New MX vs M series #6  
Well my :2cents: is you may actually need two tractors at some point...a smaller one to be more maneuverable around the trees and the larger one for open spaces/hay work. I know - terrible right? There may not be a one-size-fits-all for your applications.

HP

Herkypilot, I like the way you think, and maybe one day I'll get a second one. With the second little one on the way, I'll have to stick with one haha. I decided to go with the M7060 HD12 and am going Thursday to check it out before delivery. Went with the Titan grapple and woods HD pallet forks, now just need to decide on a bush hog and hydraulic top link. I'll probably start another thread for that. Figured there'll be plenty threads to sift through first.

/ Buying New MX vs M series #8  
Herkypilot, I like the way you think, and maybe one day I'll get a second one. With the second little one on the way, I'll have to stick with one haha. I decided to go with the M7060 HD12 and am going Thursday to check it out before delivery. Went with the Titan grapple and woods HD pallet forks, now just need to decide on a bush hog and hydraulic top link. I'll probably start another thread for that. Figured there'll be plenty threads to sift through first.

:D

Well I think you picked the right tractor for hay work. Here's a great video in action moving round bales:
Zbior słomy traktorem Kubota M76 - Straw collecting using Kubota M76 tractor - YouTube

I went with a BushHog brand 12' batwing, but I also have a 6' BH for more close-in work.

HP

6D22DC50-D6F0-456F-8EAD-B8681E4180E5.jpegA5C5EABB-2577-46DA-AEC5-C45DB0C2417D.jpegD50A577A-097F-42B3-8653-7B4DA4D1F19B.jpeg

Delivered today! Extremely happy with my choice. After really looking over the Titan grapple at the dealer I realized how heavy duty it is. Maybe I haven’t crossed the right forum yet, but why isn’t this one mentioned in most the threads I’ve read?

/ Buying New MX vs M series #10  
Gosh. Nice problem to have. If you don't want the amazing nimbleness of an HST transmission in an MX (i.e. you'd get the geared transmission), then seems like the M would be my easy choice if any field work was required.
:2cents: