a 17 yr decision (pending) ... I may even consider changing my Profile Avatar ...

/ a 17 yr decision (pending) ... I may even consider changing my Profile Avatar ... #1  

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018), Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969), Cub Cadet RZT S50 zero turn mower (2012)
Greetings All,

after 17 long years of waiting, I am FINALLY at a point where I can tractor-shop :) . Circumstances delayed a purchase due to medical issues and extreme bills, an unexpected priority / accessibility renovation, disability complications, and no or limited income, and a survival based line of credit. I / we decided that it was best to wait things out, get some sort of steady income, and pay things off.

Well, last month we found steady Renters (upstairs), and last week I got a retro-pay disability support and the start of a moderate monthly amount, plus my home office (bookkeeping, taxes) is generating a bit of extra cash. Within 3 days of getting the lump sum I paid off all of the minor amounts that were on our mortgage, the balances on 2 credit cards, a moderate line of credit account, property tax, and all utilities and phones. We haven't had vehicle or personal loans in 5 yrs either. FEELS GOOD.

We now ONLY have the ongoing budget / living costs, and a significant line of credit (max'd from the renovations), but that is it. Our yard and hobby farm need some maintenance, and for the first time in more than 5 yrs, we are now at a point where there is some extra money and time. I have been "window shopping" for a tractor for a long time (many brands, models), so I knew that I had to take a serious look at the Kubota BX23S package deal. It really does give me the best sense of independence as most things I am able to do unassisted (that's huge !!!). The dealership (1 hr away) had an open house on Sat.

Tough decisions, but I have a tentative written deal set for the end of May. I can hardly wait. The down payment is building week by week. The Dealership has been great, and has really made this work in spite of some physical limitations that I have due to my disability.

HERE's what is included in the deal that I am pursuing... my wife is supporting the purchase but has not yet seen the units. She will use it also.

- Kubota BX23S package (NEW) - tractor, loader, backhoe
- the 0% for 84 mos is approved.
- quick attach system
- drive-over mid mount 54" mower deck
- land pride 54" box blade
- land pride 6" post hole auger
- modifying and adding a step for me (on, off), no charge
- modifying the reverse pedal to an oversized pedal so that I can reach it easily, no charge
- canopy (sun, rain, snow) included in the deal
- steering wheel spinner knob

once the major line of credit is paid down a bit, I have FUTURE PLANS for the mechanical thumb, a pallet fork jack, and the 54" claw grapple bar and possibly the bigtoolrack (???)

I'd like to know what people think of the value / benefit of claw grapple bar? is it worth the cost, and the control button addition? or is this something that I wouldn't use often enough - considering the implements already noted? The bigtoolrack seems like pure convenience...

eager:dance1::cool2:

/ a 17 yr decision (pending) ... I may even consider changing my Profile Avatar ... #2  
Congratulations on "getting over the hump". Sounds like it was a long hard road. That sounds like an excellent package you have assembled. It's hard to determine how beneficial a grapple would be, not knowing what your disabilities are. Grapples are great to be able to pick up larger amounts of brush and move it into a pile or trailer. They can also pick up logs / trees and hold in a position for cutting. They have many uses.

Just remember, on a SCUT, the lift capabilities are limited to begin with. Adding an attachment such as a grapple will substantially decrease that capacity. Again, one may or may not be useful vs. cost depending on your limitations or work needing to be done.

At the least, I would negotiate a price to have the additional hydraulics installed as part of the initial sale / financing. You may be able to get them at a discount now. They would be very useful for other attachments you may have in the future, especially a hydraulic thumb, or top and tilt.

Base your decisions on your perceived future work and what you need to be accomplished. Then ask 'will this tool be useful for more than one or two times? '

I had 2 very large (well to me anyway) piles of construction debris and natural debris (trees, shrubs). Each pile was about 25' wide x 50' long x 6-7' high. When I first got my tractor, I was considering a grapple. I realized that after cleaning up these piles, I probably would not use it again, so I didn't get it. I just used a tooth bar on the bucket w/ some homemade extention forks. Got the piles cleaned up and was happy.

Good luck with your future purchase and projects! Keep us posted.

/ a 17 yr decision (pending) ... I may even consider changing my Profile Avatar ... #3  
Pretty much what LS mt125 said, without a lot more detail on your disability and property/chores would be helpful, but you may not wish to post them. We have two BXs as well a 1025R and prefer a 60" cut on all compared to our prior 54" as it not only cuts a wider swath, it trims closer.

Good luck and enjoy.

/ a 17 yr decision (pending) ... I may even consider changing my Profile Avatar ... #4  
Glad things are looking upward. A mid-mount mower can be a challange, even with drive over option. Others noted the capacities of a sub can generate buyers remorse. Weigh sound advice carefully, all the best. Also consider snow removal in Canada?

/ a 17 yr decision (pending) ... I may even consider changing my Profile Avatar ...
To each of you, thank you for the responses and encouragement. :) I think that I feel solid about this purchase, and it is also the model and package that I have been eyeing for years now -earlier versions BX25, BX25D ... Occasionally I have considered a used earlier version, but with all of the NEW features, this makes even more sense now. The timing is better than it ever has been for us.

To respond to some of the comments and thoughts, so that you get a better picture of my needs, and situation:

- I was raised on a hobby farm, and have always enjoyed that. We have a small acreage, and I have far more time (working from home) than I do money ... so if a SCUT does most of the job, over a longer period of time, that is my payoff. The property is not suited for a big tractor, so a compact or SCUT are my options. Due to work needed over the years, I have hired out when needed. I have friends with larger tractor equipment, if needed - but I am sick of paying $2000 - $3000 for every job that is done.

- I was born with cerebral palsy (CP) and apparently it would be described as "moderate" in scope. Dr's said that I would never walk, then they said I'd be in a wheelchair by age 30. My balance is a challenge, and I'm a bit more unsteady, following a 2010 motor vehicle accident (T-boned ... back and leg injuries, some chronic pain) so I have walked with a shovel around the yard for the past few years - handy tool, and it makes getting up possible when I do fall down. I am in my early 50's, and manage to do most things reasonably well. The CP is more significant on my right side (therefore the oversized foot pedal idea). My upper body strength is good, and I can lift and move things, but am limitied in what I can carry. I use a cane during winter months. I have always found a creative way to accomplish things if there was no one arround to assist. I work from home doing taxes and bookkeeping now - after 26 yrs in Community Corrections. We have a hobby farm (chickens, some beekeeping, perhaps goats this year)... my wife has some recently diagnosed disabilities; but our children are all independent young adults at this point.

- the open deck was a must (no transmission block to negotiate around
- the HST, diesel, 4x4, and quick-attach details were also requirements
- the tractor, loader, backhoe package was a preference

- I enjoy working at whatever phyiscal work that I can do. It keeps me mobile and limbers me a bit, but I do need to keep things as safe as my limits allow. The SCUT is a perfect solution. I do have a John Deere LT 160 ride on mower for the rough stuff, and an Arctic Cat 4x4 ATV - both used for yard work, towing, and the ATV manages most snowplowing in winter. The road crews plow the country road sufficient to get us out - but I usually clean up the snow banks after they leave. We are on a low priority road.

- We have 7.5 acres in the country, with about 3-4 acres being reasonably flat.
There are brush piles scattered in the far corners that will be cleaned up (loader, backhoe) - I think I can manage without the claw grapple bar, for at least the first year. The sloped path down to the creek will be a major job, probably years in the works.
The driveway needs maintenance from all of the winter ruts to level things out (box blade)
I use a brush cutter / hand held weed whacker (commercial Husqvarna) extensively for yard maintenance - BEST tool I've bought (until now :) ) and although it has a nasty blade (cuts 3" trees down), I have figured out how to use it safely. I also have a small Stihl chainsaw to limb fallen trees. If I need a tree dropped, I call on friends. While the region still allows it, we can burn some yard waste. My daughter is a volunteer firefighter, so she tells me what I can, can not do (too funny). Thinking the bigtoolrack in the futore, but the yard trailer is good for now.
We want to maximize the potential of the property, so some fencing is always needed. Chickens, our dogs, goats ... the post hole auger will be useful for that. The backhoe will also be handy.
There are areas on the property that will continue to be gardens, animal runs, or future garage sites ... the entire BX23S package will be great for that. I have never operated a backhoe, but it sounds interesting. I have operated larger older tractors at my uncle's far growing up - but I would still be a novice.

Having the renter upstairs will be great for some of the other jobs that perhaps I can't easily do. The renters want to hobby farm also, so he came with me to check out the tractor package the other day. It might be tough to take turns :)

I should mention that the sales person, is recuperating from a car accident and was using crutches / canes at this point. He was watching me as I figured out how to climb on, off the tractor etc. IF any sales person could have my physical perspective on life, it is THIS guy. I am a really tough sell, perhaps indicated by 17 years of waiting.

Anyway, that is my lengthy pre-tractor story. Thanks for suggestions. We had a long tough Winter, but Spring is finally here.

cheers :cowboy:

/ a 17 yr decision (pending) ... I may even consider changing my Profile Avatar ... #6  
About a year ago agood friend bought a new jd scut with fel and mmm I felt he had made a mistake, and I was right. He just traded it for a jd 3032 and ajd ztr .He is much happier now. The scut just wouldn't do what he thought it would. always go a little bigger than you think you will need.good luck

/ a 17 yr decision (pending) ... I may even consider changing my Profile Avatar ... #7  
congrats on just getting where your at in life!!!
That's awesome and no easy feat I'm sure.
w/o sharing the type of property your on such as lightly/heavily wooded the grapple is a toss. But have found bucket attached forks used on line realtively reasonable so just a thought for consideration.
All the best on your shopping it's half the fun...

/ a 17 yr decision (pending) ... I may even consider changing my Profile Avatar ... #8  
First, congrats on getting to this point. :)

I got a BX23S last year and I love that little tractor. It has been able to do anything I wanted it to do, within reason. Sometimes I push it up to and past what it was designed to do, but with some patience and creative thinking, I could still get it done.

There are 3 things I got for mine right off the bat, and you should consider them.
1) 2 inch wheel spacers for the rear wheels. I got mine from Brotek. You will really feel the difference in how stable it makes you feel when on a hill. If you have any hills, you probably want to get some.
2) Some kind of armor for the underneath of the tractor for when you have the mower off. If you take the mower off, you will have some easily damaged things down there and if you get any kinds of sticks or whatever up in there, you won't like the outcome. I got BXpanded Under Armor for mine, as I don't have the MMM, so I just leave it on.
3) Definitely get the 3rd function valve added when you get it. I didn't at first, and had to pay extra to get it added later. If you have any kind of wooded area, definitely look at a grapple. I have a 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple from Everything Attachements. It is on my tractor more than the bucket. I use it to carry everything from brush to branches to trees. Once you get comfortable it with, you will be moving things you didn't think you could move, and you never get out of your seat to do it.

Oh one more thing. I got some wheel weights for the rear wheels. It also adds to the stability of the tractor. Get some of them, or get the tires filled. I went with the weights as they are not that hard to remove, and if I got a hole in the tire, I wouldn't have to worry about all the fluid leaking out.

The BX23S is a great little tractor, and I am sure you will like it.

/ a 17 yr decision (pending) ... I may even consider changing my Profile Avatar ...
Thanks again for all of the good information, I am taking notes and will be finetuning the deal as I get closer to the date. I've bought vehicles previously, but not a tractor - this is a useful exercise for certain. :)

/ a 17 yr decision (pending) ... I may even consider changing my Profile Avatar ... #10  
Thanks again for all of the good information, I am taking notes and will be finetuning the deal as I get closer to the date. I've bought vehicles previously, but not a tractor - this is a useful exercise for certain. :)

Scaredychicken, you are a brave and very impressive man! And a great big WELCOME from a fellow westerner who grew up in Calgary but then moved East.

I think the BX23S will be a fantastic tractor for you, and I wish they had those new features on my BX25 when I bought it almost 10 years ago.

I agree with all of the advice that you have been given, and I would also add that you should get the bxpanded.com bucket expander, given that you are in the snowy mountains. Believe it or not, it doubles the heaped capacity of the FEL, and I find it very useful for moving snow in the winter. It is easy to put on and take off, and then in the summer I would get a Piranha tooth bar from the same guys. The tooth bar is amazing and makes digging a lot easier. I especially find it useful when digging into a pile of soil that has rocks in it.

Best of luck to you, and do keep us posted! We love the vicarious experience of watching other people buy tractors!👍