Buying Advice Should I tweak my Kubota package purchase a bit ? seeking opinions re now or later ?

/ Should I tweak my Kubota package purchase a bit ? seeking opinions re now or later ? #1  

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018), Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969), Cub Cadet RZT S50 zero turn mower (2012)
I posted this last week. Just wanting some feedback re priority, value for cost, usefulness or unnecessary ? I have watch some of the Messick's videos, would love opinions, knowledge and expertise from other users. Thanks.

"HERE's what is included in the deal that I am pursuing... my wife is supporting the purchase but has not yet seen the units. She will use it also.

- Kubota BX23S package (NEW) - tractor, loader, backhoe
- the 0% for 84 mos is approved.
- quick attach system
- drive-over mid mount 54" mower deck
- land pride 54" box blade
- land pride 6" post hole auger
- modifying and adding a step for me (on, off), no charge
- modifying the reverse pedal to an oversized pedal so that I can reach it easily, no charge
- canopy (sun, rain, snow) included in the deal
- steering wheel spinner knob"

I now have a number of "future purchase accessories / implements" that I am putting on a priority list for later... but wondering if I should add anything to the original sale instead. Thinking of savings, usefulness, value. First time buying a tractor.

chain tie down system (when towing) - I thought this could wait, as unit will likely be delivered
winter tire chains, set - I'm not sure if there is value in this, but it can wait a few months
BigToolRack - Kubota (future) - do other users find this a useful accessory ? - chain saw, brush cutter, bales etc? should I even bother ? (next year)
counter-weights - how important are these, given the package that I am buying ?
pallet fork (future) - definate purchase plan, but it can wait
mechanical thumb (future) - probably
grading scraper ? (or BOX ?) - going with the Box Blade, so probably not a priority anymore
wood chipper (future) - this is future luxury
claw grapple (future) - definately want this, probably fits the budget better next year
3rd function hydraulic valve (now?) - THIS IS THE NOW or LATER question ? for grapple etc
TOOTH BAR for loader (future) - NOW OR LATER ?
installed grease fittings ? - I'm not sure if this is necessity or luxury ?
2 inch spacers - REAR WHEELS - another NOW, LATER, or DON"T BOTHER question - I'm told this adds stability (on a SCUT ?) but that is good
rear wheel weights OR fill them - calcium, NOW or LATER ?
undercarriage brush protection - NOW or LATER? how useful is this for value ? when drive over mower is not attached ?

DOWNPAYMENT TARGET $5000, and Pay off loan in 4 yrs ? that's my plan. Trying to Budget for extras

KTAC Insurance (financed) - is this even available in Canada? is this a requirement, the tractor will stay on the property, and my House Insurance covers unit (my insurer claims)

cheers. :)

/ Should I tweak my Kubota package purchase a bit ? seeking opinions re now or later ? #2  
As much as you can afford now comfortably. At least get all of the options that are dealer installed done before you get the tractor. You'll likely never send it back in to the dealer and you can roll them into the financed price now. Cash or high rate later.

/ Should I tweak my Kubota package purchase a bit ? seeking opinions re now or later ? #3  
3rd function now. Filled rear wheels would be on my now list. The grapple can wait, but if you have the 3rd function valve already set up, it opens up options for you buying whatever brand you want later. Tooth bar would be on my now list, but depending on how much dirt moving/digging you will be doing, may not be necessary at all.

Don't know how much grass you'll be cutting, but maybe go with the 60" drive over instead of 54"? Not sure how well the post-hole augers do on the small tractors. No experience with them.

/ Should I tweak my Kubota package purchase a bit ? seeking opinions re now or later ? #4  
The type of work needing done dictates the type of implements needed. By all means, get all you can, rolled in to the loan but be sure you will use it. I am new to tractors but want the most bang for the buck too. Sure wish I would have sprung for the pallet forks...very, very handy.

/ Should I tweak my Kubota package purchase a bit ? seeking opinions re now or later ? #5  
I didn't think much about pallet forks until I had them. I'm not unloading semi trucks on a dock - what do I need pallet forks for? But then after having them, realizing free pallets are everywhere, and just how convenient it is to store/move some things on a pallet, I find them incredibly useful. They can move some awkward stuff easily too. A lot faster with SSQA to just pop the forks on and move something awkward vs figuring out how to lash it to or suspend it from bucket.

Just wondering, but if getting the small BH with the BX, why the post hole auger too? Wouldn't that smallish bucket do the same thing?

No idea how hard/easy it is to R&R the backhoe from one of those. That would be a concern for me since it sounds like you want to use various 3pt things as well. So a means for easily getting that on/off and storing would be something I'd want in day 1 budget. And if frequent BH on/off configuration is going to be the norm, would a 3pt cutter be lower cost ($ for other stuff) or have more capability? I run a 5' rotary cutter with no issues @18.5 HP PTO

/ Should I tweak my Kubota package purchase a bit ? seeking opinions re now or later ? #6  
I would not use calcium/salt as rear tire ballast. Usually it rusts the wheels.

I would not ballast the rear wheels on a BX with Backhoe. The Backhoe probably weighs 600 pounds and protrudes to the rear, increasing its utility as ballast. Filling both rear tires will only add 150 pounds or so. With 23-horsepower you will not be capable of breaking traction on level ground. Should you have a tire puncture (I never have.) dealing with filled tires is a pain. For the same reason, omit wheel weights.

54" is a good width for Box Blade for BX23S. Be sure the Box Blade has enough weight to serve as Three Point Hitch counterbalance to heavy FEL loads when the Backhoe is off. The front axles on the BXs are pretty light. Three Point Hitch counterbalance reduces front axle loading.
A bucket of DRY sand or DRY dirt will not lift the rear wheels. Usually it is carrying green timber or moving heavy equipment with the FEL where counterbalance is necessary to keep the rear wheels on The Earth.

You will not need a ballast box with a Backhoe and Box Blade available.

Most with a Backhoe would not mount a digging Toothbar on the bucket. Most, not all.

I have heavy expanded steel screen as armor under my L3560. I ripped off HST solenoid wires twice mowing jungle before ordering armor installed. The cooling fan is vulnerable on a BX but I do not know if armor and a MMM are compatible.

I would buy (relatively cheap) SSQA pallet forks first and see how you like them. Pallet forks should do 65% of what a grapple will do on a BX. Consider 26" and 32" pallet forks in lieu of 42" pallet forks, unless you will actually unload partial pallets. For moving limbs and brush the shorter forks are handier. Heavier than necessary pallet forks subtract from payload every lift. (The five tines on my clamp-on Debris Forks are 19" deep.)

I ALWAYS SEEK THE SIMPLEST SOLUTION AVAILABLE. SOMETIMES WILLING TO PAY MORE FOR LESS.

PTO Chippers are fine year one. Year two and later too much maintenance. Always hazardous. Most "chippers" convert to "burners". My history. I had a high end Wallenstein.

Chippers work a little better with a single type of wood, for which the blade(s) can be optimally adjusted. Christmas tree farmers like them better than residential users with mixed wood.

My L3560 has 28 PTO horsepower. Not enough PTO power to make chipping attractive relative to burning.

I do not know if the Ratchet Rake is available in Canada. You might inquire if the T-B-N STORE, an agent for Ratchet Rake, can ship to Canada. In my opinion RR is the #1 force multiplier for light tractors. RR is NOT for digging.

VIDEO: Kubota BX Series VS. B Series - YouTube

Attachments

• DSC00451.JPG
    DSC00451.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 284
  • DSC00029.jpg
    DSC00029.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 274
  • DSC00177.jpg
    DSC00177.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 304
  • DSC00178.jpg
    DSC00178.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 259
  • DSC00128.jpg
    DSC00128.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 255
Last edited:
   / Should I tweak my Kubota package purchase a bit ? seeking opinions re now or later ? #7  
OH - you may have already done this and Kubota finance deals might be different than others I'm talking with, but I've found 0% isn't a real thing. The difference in "cash price" vs "financed price" is around what 6.X% interest would be over the term of the loan. Still paying all the interest, just buying down the loan to 0% in effect. So if there were a significant cost difference between cash and financed price, a loan from some other source would eliminate KTAC requirement and be less $. Just really depends if overall cost of the loan or monthly payment to fit budget is more important. Hard to get any kind of loan other than home equity to go 84 mos. Just something to look at. Since I'm going thru same thing now and running numbers - half down, borrow half - none of the dealer finance options are working out better for me than finding ~5% on my own. In your case, if you are 100% sure that you aren't trailering it around or using on others' property and your homeowners is covering enough to make you comfortable, 7 yrs of KTAC might add up to a lot of $ you're rolling into loan or adding on top of loan payment. But then it's covering things your homeowners isn't so that peace of mind is worth something too....

/ Should I tweak my Kubota package purchase a bit ? seeking opinions re now or later ?
this info is gold :) - keep it coming. thank you.

thought - what about tubed tires with the calcium fill (to avoid the rusting issues) - is that even an option ?

/ Should I tweak my Kubota package purchase a bit ? seeking opinions re now or later ? #9  
What about tubed tires with the calcium fill (to avoid the rusting issues) - is that even an option ?

Neither filled rear tires nor wheel weights make sense to me on a 23-horsepower tractor USED ON FAIRLY LEVEL GROUND. The rear tires are too small.

Never fill front tires.

/ Should I tweak my Kubota package purchase a bit ? seeking opinions re now or later ? #10  
Can you fill with something else or is it too cold there?

Filling those small 26" diameter tires isn't a lot of weight at all. Nothing compared to the backhoe most likely.