25 Hour report B7610 TLB

/ 25 Hour report B7610 TLB #1  

v8dave

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 7610
Here is a 25+ hour report on my B7610 Tractor Loader & Backhoe. I bought this tractor for some extensive landscape and construction work at our home here in Placerville, California. It came equipped with a LA352 loader, B4672 Backhoe (12” bucket), a Gearmore box scraper and R4 tires. The dealer filled the tires and welded two chain hooks to the loader. Because I’ll never put in a lawn and the back property is too steep to operate on [with a bush hog] this tractor won’t see a mower of any type. I also have to pick up a cutting bar for the loader bucket I ordered but, hasn’t come in yet. The work I’m doing now doesn’t yet need the scraper or cutting bar.

This backhoe has enough power to break the not-quite-decomposed granite soil we have around here. The bucket curl will break shale like layers of the granite lying in some areas as I work on a driveway. I have also dug up boulders I can’t pick up with either the backhoe bucket or loader bucket. I just rolled ‘em along with the backhoe, eventually pushing them down hill to rest alongside a stream that runs through the property. There are some rock formations the Kubota doesn’t even try to attack, a Cat 953 excavator and a Case backhoe with a hammer weren’t able to budge ‘em either. I just slightly altered the plans to accommodate these immovable objects.

I had rented a Bobcat B100 backhoe and a Bobcat 325 excavator previously. This backhoe doesn’t have the reach (or specified breakout power) of either of these units but the digging power is adequate for me. I got the smallish bucket so its digging power would be spread over a smaller area and thus seem more powerful. The strategy seems to be working as I’ve been able to chew through some “shale” pretty well. It is also able to dig out some Thyme plants growing in decomposed granite soil fairly easily.

The B4672 is a 6.5 foot depth backhoe. I’m not likely to ever need that depth. What matters is the reach. And, I find I have to reposition the tractor more often than either of the rental units. I tested a B7800 with a BL4690 (7.5 ft reach) on it at the dealer. The B7800 would have been a better choice for the backhoe but the tractor and backhoe was wider than would work for me—I’ll have to drive between a shop [50’ long when it’s done] and a retaining wall that will have a 5’ clearance. I was tempted to get a BX23. I also tested the BX23 at the dealer and its reach and power would have left me disappointed.

The PTO needs to be running the pump at 540 RPM (engine speed of 2600 RPM) to get all the power out of the backhoe. And, the fuel consumption goes up noticeably when running the backhoe. Not that it’s bad, it’s just more than when shuttling gravel loads around in the loader bucket. A tank of fuel will always last a day of operation. I’ve never put more than about 4.5 gallons of diesel in the (5+ gal) tank. Even on the second day of a tank when I’d forgotten to check the fuel level and the fuel gauge was on the empty bar for who knows how long. By-the-way, full throttle speed increased from 2600 RPM to 2700 RPM as the engine breaks in.

The LA352 loader was chosen over the LA302 for its additional lift capacity. The B7800 and its LA402 would have been even better, but were once again too wide. I have been amazed at the size of the boulders I have been able to pick up with the LA352 loader. The boulders have been too big to fit completely in the loader. So, I get the lower lip of the bucket under the boulder and loop a chain around ‘em and tilt back to grab the boulder. About half the time the boulders drop into the bucket and seem secure. But, just to be sure, the chain gets readjusted to keep it there while being transported. I moved about 50 landscape boulders this way.

When loading some rocky debris, I found it necessary to increase the engine speed to get the plow capability to fill the bucket and lift with out backing up. I also found it necessary to put the tractor into 4 wheel drive and use low range on the transmission. Doing this I could get a full bucket of mixed soil and rock on each scoop.

The loader could use more tilt back. I have to raise it more than I’d like to shake the fill back [from the lower bucket lip, in order to reduce the spill during transport].

Minor items: Lubricating the tractor after each ten hours of operation uses up the grease. Each fitting takes at least two pumps. There are 11 or 12 fittings on the backhoe and 12 on the loader. It’s a minor thing but you need to plan ahead and have some spare cartridges available. Because some joint pins are tight it’s necessary to hold the grease gun coupler on the tractor Zerk fitting to get the grease in. My grease gun has a flexible hose between the gun and the Zerk coupler. It’s awkward to use at times because you need to use both hands to work the pump. A grease gun with a rigid connector would be easier to use, that way you can still force the connector on the Zerk while working the pump. [The rigid pipe for my grease gun is in a storage unit--waiting to be unpacked in the new shop when it’s done. Oh well, it won’t be the first time I buy something I have but can’t find.]

Getting on and off the tractor, while quick, needs to be done carefully. Unless limited by the work, I’ve taken to getting on and off the left side. Getting off the right side carries the risk of bumping the loader controls or hydrostatic speed controls. Both of which I’ve done. On the right side, there are lots of things to catch pockets and rip them off. The loader post is the main culprit, but the transmission range select and PTO selector are both good culprits too. I used to wear a light jeans jacket on hot days for sun protection. I don’t wear a jacket any more unless I can button it up. I’ve stocked up on long sleeve t-shirts for sun protection.

As noted by Yankee in his post, a cup holder would be real nice. I’ve bungee corded a water bottle on the left side ROPS. It’s ugly but works for the summer. Come cooler weather and I’m going to have to figure out something different for a coffee cup.

The tool box under the seat leaks dust and is small. It barely holds the PTO shaft safety cover, a pair of channel locks and a Cresent wrench. I’m not sure what to do yet, but something is going to be changed/added.

Well after re-reading what I wrote above it looks kind of negative. Quite the conrary, I’m happy with the tractor performance and would make all the same choices again.

I had the tractor delivered before the TNT was installed. So, at the 50 hour service I’m going to have the TNT and the Kubota top/sun shield added. There is no level surface on the property so I’m also going to order a tilt gauge. It’s making parts of this place level that’s the purpose of the Kubota 7610.

Regards, Dave

Attached file is hauling one of the larger boulders, with more boulders and small stream in background.

Attachments

• 445328-rock moving-sm.jpg
    445328-rock moving-sm.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 581
   / 25 Hour report B7610 TLB #2  
Very interesting rundown. It's always good to hear people talk about what they use their tractors for and how they are used, especially initial impressions.

I've wondered about backhoes that have a separate hydraulic pump and run off the PTO. It sounds like that doesn't bother you much, just run at speed and it's not a big deal. Maybe use a bit more fuel.

Thanks again for spending the time to write all this out. Nice post.

Cliff

/ 25 Hour report B7610 TLB #3  
Great post. I appreciate the comments on moving boulders with the LA352, as I've been looking into adding a few into the landscape. (Can't quite get over the notion of BUYING rocks, though, coming from New England)

I also find myself doing the lift high and shake thing you describe with the bucket. Another 5 degrees curl would be welcome, although it seems like a toothbar would help fill the bucket more efficiently, too (don't know if you have one).

It didn't even occur to me to bungee a water bottle somewhere. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Bill

/ 25 Hour report B7610 TLB #4  
Good post Dave. I did catch one thing you missed. There are actually 21 zerks on the 4672 BH. When I lube mine I have to count to make sure I don't miss any. 12 on the fel and 21 on the BH. That 7610 really looks like a great value machine.

Greg

/ 25 Hour report B7610 TLB #5  
Thanks for the great report. I've just over 11 hours on my new 7610 and have been having just as much fun on mine!

It's good to know that the 7610 can handle a BH sufficiently, that may be an attachment I get in the future.

/ 25 Hour report B7610 TLB #6  
v8dave, Looks like your having fun with your new toy. I enjoy every minute on mine.
Have you tried running the BH at a lower RPM? I have a BH4690 on a L3010 and at about 1800 to 2000 RPMs it works faster than I can think when doing some jobs. Enough power to pick up the back of the tractor.
By the way they bury wires and pipes under backhoes. My first hole was over the phone line, in the back yard! Looks like they did a big U turn just to be under the backhoe.
Don't let your wife know a backhoe can plant scrubs and flowers. A mistake I made.
Gerald

/ 25 Hour report B7610 TLB
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Good post Dave. I did catch one thing you missed. There are actually 21 zerks on the 4672 BH. When I lube mine I have to count to make sure I don't miss any. 12 on the fel and 21 on the BH. That 7610 really looks like a great value machine.

Greg
)</font>

Yep, Greg you're right. I went out to see what I missed. I missed a few from memory and totally forgot about counting the fittings on the stabalizer arms.

Dave

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Great post. I appreciate the comments on moving boulders with the LA352, as I've been looking into adding a few into the landscape. (Can't quite get over the notion of BUYING rocks, though, coming from New England)

I also find myself doing the lift high and shake thing you describe with the bucket. Another 5 degrees curl would be welcome, although it seems like a toothbar would help fill the bucket more efficiently, too (don't know if you have one).

It didn't even occur to me to bungee a water bottle somewhere. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Bill )</font>

Yes, I can't get over buying boulders either. Even though I'm digging up usable rock. We're doubling an existing Boulder retaining wall and it was made of "mossy rock." So, to keep peace in the family we need more mouldy looking rock.

I've attached a picture of my "beverage holder." That's a large bottle. It stays on better than the standard size bottles.

Dave

Attachments

• 446012-Water bottle-sm.jpg
    446012-Water bottle-sm.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 255
   / 25 Hour report B7610 TLB #9  
Nice report. Sounds like your land is much like my own, with not-quite-decomposed granite. It would be great to have nice soft dirt to dig in... but then who would need a tractor?

I second the idea of running the BH at less than full engine speed. I find little difference in the digging power, better mileage, and less engine noise if I run my B7800 at 1800 to 2000 rpms when using the BH. It does slow down the movement some, but I don't think it takes much longer to do a task.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( v8dave, Looks like your having fun with your new toy. I enjoy every minute on mine.
Have you tried running the BH at a lower RPM? I have a BH4690 on a L3010 and at about 1800 to 2000 RPMs it works faster than I can think when doing some jobs. Enough power to pick up the back of the tractor.
. . .
Don't let your wife know a backhoe can plant scrubs and flowers. A mistake I made.
Gerald )</font>

Gerald, I've tried running at a lower speed engine speed with the backhoe. But, every time I've done so I run into rocks or shale requiring all the power available. So, instead of an awkward backward reach to pump up the throttle, I now always run full speed ahead when running the backhoe. I guess that's one of the compromises of getting the smaller tractor.

I've discovered that with experience on the backhoe you eventually can do more than one movement at a time while moving booms and bucket. The great side effect of this is that the pump feeds more that one function--which reduces the speed, oversensitivity and wild jerks that comes with learning how to run the backhoe.

Well, the cat's out of the bag on the planting. I've already dug up and replanted some trees and bushes. It really makes planting easy. One or two scoops and presto the hole is ready! Having the backhoe didn't make much difference--I just used to have to do the work with a pick and shovel.

Dave