Newbie buying my first tractor

/ Newbie buying my first tractor #1  

Academic1

Tractor
JD LT180
Looking to buy my first tractor other than a little JD LT180. There is a used Kubota L3400 with all the implements I'd want plus a trailer for sale. Appears to be an estate sale from a local nursery operator as they are selling off all the business stuff. The daughter doesn't know much about the tractor, and I am facing a steep learning curve as a newbie. My main use for the tractor would be mowing canary grass in 4 acres of bottomland that has a few inches of standing water much of the year. Otherwise there is a gravel drivewway to maintain and some hardscaping projects around the house. Here is the link to the ad:
Kubota L34 tractor w/ trailer and implements - Garden - Burlington, Washington - Marketplace | Facebook

In reading about the different transmission types I think the shuttle or HST would be best for me. The owner didn't know which version this tractor had. Here is the picture of the controls she sent:
controls.jpg

I have no idea whether this range selector is the same used for the gear version or if it is just for the versions not needing the clutch. I hope to go take a look at it this weekend. I asked for a pic of the serial number but she sent the one from the frame, not the motor.

Anyhow, any advice would be welcome. The other possibility is a Yanmar 336D that seems to have a number of fans on this site. It's at a dealer so I'd be looking at 9% sales tax versus from a private seller. It has 1500 hours, a loader and brush hog, but nothing else. I have appreciated all the tribal knowledge available here, like the posts about what to look for/at when evaluating a used tractor.

Thanks in advance, look for more rookie questions from me in the future.

/ Newbie buying my first tractor #2  
Kubota L3400

2004 - 2010 Standard L Series
Compact Utility tractor
Next model: Kubota L3800
Series next: Kubota L4400
Series back: Kubota L2800

Manufacturer: Kubota
Original price (USD): $14,137 (2011)

Variants:
L3400F: 2WD gear
L3400DT: 4WD gear

L3400HST: 4WD hydro

Transmission:
Type: hydrostatic
Gears: infinite (3-range) forward and reverse
Oil capacity: 29.2 qts [27.6 L]

Transmission:
Type: constant mesh
Gears: 8 forward and 4 reverse
Oil capacity: 29.2 qts [27.6 L]
Four gears (1-4) in two ranges (Low/High) and reverse (R). Mechancial shuttle shifting between forward-low and reverse.

Kubota L3400 Engines:
Kubota 1.8L 3-cyl diesel
Engine (gross): 35.7 hp [26.6 kW]
Engine (net): 34.2 hp [25.5 kW]
PTO (claimed): 30 hp [22.4 kW] (gear late)
29 hp [21.6 kW] (gear early)
28.5 hp [21.3 kW] (hydro late)
27.5 hp [20.5 kW] (hydro early)

Capacity:
Fuel: 9 gal [34.1 L]
Hydraulic system: 7.3 gal [27.6 L]
Front axle: 4.8 qts [4.5 L]

3-Point Hitch:
Rear Type: I
Rear lift (at ends): 1,985 lbs [900 kg]
Rear lift (at 24"/610mm): 1,433 lbs [650 kg]

Power Take-off (PTO):
Rear PTO: live
independent (hydro)
Rear RPM: 540 (1.375)
Engine RPM: 540@2425

Dimensions & Tires:
Wheelbase: 63.3 inches [160 cm]
Weight: 2403 to 2600 pounds
Front tire: 5-15
Rear tire: 11.2-24

Kubota L3400 attachments:
front-end loader
backhoe

Mechanical:
Chassis: 4x2 2WD
4x4 MFWD 4WD (optional)
Differential lock: rear standard
Steering: power
Brakes: mechanical wet disc
Cab: Two-post ROPS. Foldable ROPS and sunshade optional.

Hydraulics:
Type: open center
Capacity: 7.3 gal [27.6 L]
Valves: 0 to 3
Pump flow: 6.8 gpm [25.7 lpm]
Total flow: 10.9 gpm [41.3 lpm]
Steering flow: 4.1 gpm [15.5 lpm]

Electrical:
Ground: negative
Charging system: alternator
Charging amps: 40

Battery:
Number: 1
Cold-cranking amps: 490
Volts: 12

Page information:
Last update: October 9, 2014
Copyright: Copyright 2016 TractorData LLC

LINK TO FULL SITE: TractorData.com Kubota L34 tractor information

Last edited:
   / Newbie buying my first tractor #3  
That tractor had hard commercial use for 1,320 engine hours. Tire wear is consistent with 1,320 engine hours.

I would check all fluids first thing and change all fluids and filters at your first opportunity.

Find out if the tractor is 2-WD or 4-WD. There will be an in/out selection lever if it is 4-WD.

Ample tractor for four acres. Stay out of the wet part until it is firm, even though it may be weeks.

Tractor is an "old style" clutch and gear 2 X 4. The High/Low range selector is in the photo.

This is a high quality "no frills" tractor. Not unusual for similar WELL MAINTAINED Kubota models to go 10,000 engine hours without major problems. Parts are readily available but like all Kubota parts, expensive.

LA463 Front End Loader had a lift capacity of around 1,000 pounds when new. Grease Loader soon after you buy.

No opinion on the price. Cannot tell much about tractor nor implement conditions from photos, except hard use. Implements are an OK match for this tractor.

MORE: Kubota L3400 - Google Search

MORE IN T-B-N ARCHIVE: Kubota L34 site:tractorbynet.com - Google Search

Last edited:
   / Newbie buying my first tractor #4  
:welcome: Welcome to the forum.

I'm going to move this over to our Kubota section.

I hope you find your perfect tractor!

/ Newbie buying my first tractor #5  
:welcome: to TBN.
L3400 handy tractor if setup right for your needs as I found out w/my L2800 HST.
Loaded rear tires if using R4's maybe set of tire chains.L2800 & L3400 at one time had jerky problem w/3 point hitch.Some but not gas gauge show false in how much fuel.

Good luck and keep us updated.

/ Newbie buying my first tractor #6  
I have a L34000 HST. The one you are looking at is not an HST. I will guess it's a 4 wheel drive, based on seeing the 4WD engagement pull up lever on the left side of the seat base area in the front. If the attachments are useful for you, as would be the trailer, then the price is not out of line, but it isn't a deal. Rear remote(s) hydraulic outlets would be good, as would a QA bucket. Make sure the PTO works- push in the clutch, engage the PTO, and let out the clutch- it should spin without making nasty noise. Unless it was un-maintained and abused, there should be lots of life left in it. I've seen new R-4 tires/wheels for sale at around $1200, on eBay, so don't let the tires bother you. Sort of odd that the tractor only warranted one photo! The previous advice is all good.