B or L series for MY needs

/ B or L series for MY needs #1  

cals400ex

Tractor
None
Hello,

I'm in the market for a tractor. I currently live in a subdivision and only have slightly less than a 1/2 acre. My house was built on a steep hill. I need to have a bunch of dirt (I have been quoted about $10,000 worth of fill dirt) to level off and taper the huge hill. So, my main use for the tractor will be moving dirt. I won't need to move it very far, but I need move a lot of it. I'll also use the tractor for landscaping, moving some rock, mulch, etc. This project will likely take me a year or two, so I'm not interested in renting equipment. I'd like to buy a used tractor and once I'm done with the project I would have the option to sell it if I have no need for it anymore. I have noticed that I can get an L series for as cheap, if not cheaper, than a B series. Would a B or L series suite me better? Is the resale value better on one over the other? How much more stable would a B series, if any, on hilly terrain? I appreciate your suggestions!

/ B or L series for MY needs #2  
I like the "L" series,we have two in the family.I have operated a "B",capable but the I prefer the "L" for sure.

/ B or L series for MY needs #3  
With that much to move I would go on craigslist and find an older full size backhoe like a Case or a Deere for $6-8K, do the project and then sell it when your done and buy the B series then. While the L might work for what you're doing I suspect the size L you're looking for will be too small to be efficient moving that much dirt but too big for your general landscaping activities when you're done with your project.

/ B or L series for MY needs #4  
As long as the truck dumps it where it goes spreading dirt isn’t hard. Either tractor is capable of doing it faster than a single truck can bring it. Now if you’re carrying the dirt in the bucket the time for the job increases significantly. I don’t disagree with the backhoe idea but $6-8k backhoes are worn out junk.

/ B or L series for MY needs #5  
Hello,

1) I'm in the market for a tractor. I live in a subdivision and have less than a 1/2 acre.

2) My house was built on a steep hill. I need to move a bunch of dirt to level off and taper the huge hill. So, my main use for the tractor will be moving dirt. I won't need to move it very far, but I need move a lot of it. I'll also use the tractor for landscaping, moving some rock, mulch, etc. This project will likely take me a year or two.

3) I'd like to buy a used tractor and once I'm done with the project I would have the option to sell it if I have no need for it anymore. I have noticed that I can get an L series for as cheap, if not cheaper, than a B series. Would a B or L series suite me better? Is the resale value better on one over the other? How much more stable would a B series, if any, on hilly terrain?

The work you described would be more easily and safely accomplished by a Skid Steer. A tracked skid steer (compact track loader or 'CTL') will be more stable than a wheeled skid steer. As Skid Steers have the engine in the rear, they are much more stable lifting loads with the FEL and have heavier lift capacities.
VIDEO: Messick's | Review of Kubota SSV65 Skid Loaders - YouTube

1) I live on a 1/2 acre. Roughly 1/4 acres without the house footprint. A Kubota BX or B series should be ample. Both will fit in most residential garages. Some Kubota L series will fit in a typical garage, most will not. For many, minimizing storage space would be a priority consideration.

2) Safe hillside operation demands more tractor weight than level land operation. Tractors optimized for hill work have liquid installed in the rear tires rather than air. "Loaded" tires are filled 75% to capacity with liquid, which lowers the tractor's center-of-gravity, making a tractor more stable and increasing rollover resistance.

Even optimized for hills front engine tractors are inherently unstable. The small front wheels, which allow tractors to turn sharply, and the large rear wheels, which provide pulling power, just do not provide good balance except on level ground.

Safe hillside operation requires four wheel drive (4-WD). Tractors have brakes only on the rear wheels. When going down hill, tractor weight distribution shifts forward, decreasing rear tire grip. With 4-WD engaged tractor feigns four wheel braking. Without 4-WD engaged, on a steep slope, an uncontrolled descent may occur.

3) These questions can only be answered on a tractor by tractor basis.

You have not listed your location as part of your TBN PROFILE. Your altitude may change your tractor requirements. Someone near you may notify you of a good used tractor for sale. This happens regularly.

Last edited:
   / B or L series for MY needs #6  
For what you got plan etc. I would go w/the B.
L has better footing and wider but the B should sell quicker than the L.

/ B or L series for MY needs
I'm not sure how a backhoe would be beneficial with this type of work?

Last edited:
   / B or L series for MY needs #8  
I don’t disagree with the backhoe idea but $6-8k backhoes are worn out junk.

My point is that if he buys one in this price range it should work better for his project than a SCUT or CUT and he should be able to sell it when he's done for about what he paid for it. Then he can buy the right size tractor for maintaining his 1/2 acre of land.

/ B or L series for MY needs #9  
A L is going to be marginal for that much dirt moving & to big for 1/2 acre. As others have said, rent the right big machine for the job. A big skidsteer or a big TBL (Tractor Backhoe Loader... big yellow backhoe).

Look at a small B or BX for ongoing stuff after the project is done. Unless you get it compacted in small lifts that much dirt will be settling for years. So there will me some ongoing smoothing efforts, or just live with things being not quite smooth.

/ B or L series for MY needs #10  
I知 not sure how a backhoe would be beneficial with this type of work?
The hoe on the back is just ballast fir this work. The big industrial machine with a huge loader is the point.