Kubota BX80 series backhoe - only available on the BX23S?

/ Kubota BX80 series backhoe - only available on the BX23S? #1  

dieselfuelonly

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1401D
Just curious, would it be possible to get a BX2680 set up as a TLB or is the BX23S the only machine designed to work with the BT-603 backhoe?

/ Kubota BX80 series backhoe - only available on the BX23S? #2  
On "build your own" they picture the BX2680 with a backhoe, but the don't list backhoe as an option. Probably need to ask dealer.

/ Kubota BX80 series backhoe - only available on the BX23S? #3  
If it's pictured with a backhoe, then it's a BX23S. The picture mentioned has a caption under it... "Image of product is a representative image and may not depict the exact product being configured."

the BT-603 attaches to the tractor by way of a sub-frame. Only the BX23S comes with that sub-frame... the BX2680 does not.

Pete

/ Kubota BX80 series backhoe - only available on the BX23S? #4  
The BX2380 and BX2680 only differ in the engine, the rest of the machine is identical. The BX23s is based on the 2380, with the addition of the subframe and backhoe. I was under the impression that the subframe and backhoe are factory fitted, but there's a Messicks video out there on youtube (I think about backhoes) that has pictures of the subframes in a stack, which might indicate they're actually dealer fitted or at least dealer assembled.

So, in concept, you could take the backhoe components from a BX23s and bolt them onto a BX2680 instead, making a BX26s. In reality, I suspect you couldn't order the parts to do that in any economic way, so you'd end up with a very expensive tractor (at it's most extreme, you'd buy both a BX23s and a BX2680, and then shift the backhoe onto the BX2680, selling the residual as a BX2380, but one that wouldn't be worth as much as a new one....)

I guess the question is why you'd want to do that. It seems that Kubota think the 23hp motor is plenty to drive the loader and backhoe - more HP won't make the pumps run any faster. So unless you have some other application that you'd use it for with the backhoe off - probably something you were planning to drive from the PTO - it's not clear why you'd bother. The general internet wisdom is that the BX2680 has no purpose other than being the "more power" version of the BX2380...it doesn't have enough traction or weight to use the additional HP.

Of course, I'm looking at a new BX, and I'm probably gonna buy the BX2680 anyway just because I can....it's not much more money.

/ Kubota BX80 series backhoe - only available on the BX23S? #5  
If it's pictured with a backhoe, then it's a BX23S. The picture mentioned has a caption under it... "Image of product is a representative image and may not depict the exact product being configured."

the BT-603 attaches to the tractor by way of a sub-frame. Only the BX23S comes with that sub-frame... the BX2680 does not.

Pete
Saw that, but they still list it as BX2680. Ask dealer.

/ Kubota BX80 series backhoe - only available on the BX23S? #6  
Saw that, but they still list it as BX2680. Ask dealer.
They use the same stock picture for all the bx selections on the build it section.

The BX23S is the only BX available with a factory backhoe.

/ Kubota BX80 series backhoe - only available on the BX23S? #7  
Been to dealer several times past month went from looking at BX1880 to BX2380 up to BX23S
I'm told on BX2380 down the road I need to buy the BX23S with backhoe to start with ,I haven't looked at BX2680
Another difference I see is the ROPS is wider on the BX23S
My wife doesn't have a tractor payment because dealer has sold both BX23S he had in the past few days

/ Kubota BX80 series backhoe - only available on the BX23S? #9  
My dad bought a used BX26 a couple of years ago - it doesn't have the backhoe but it looks like it has parts of a subframe attached the rear.

/ Kubota BX80 series backhoe - only available on the BX23S? #10