Value of Ag wheels/tires?

/ Value of Ag wheels/tires? #11  
Unless you have other uses wouldn’t a ZTR make more sense?

/ Value of Ag wheels/tires? #12  
Thanks for the response - but nevermind~
The wife and I talked. I need the R1 traction, but they are tearing up some of the areas I mow. I dont want to give up using my 72" Finish mower because of the time factor. I quality 72" zero turn is $$$$. SO, my wife suggested I just buy a 25-30HP tractor with turf tires. Ask me how much I love that woman.

Does she have a sister?

/ Value of Ag wheels/tires? #13  
First off, I would never swap R1 for R4 tires unless all you do with your tractor is mow the lawn which in that case go with turf tires which are absolutely worth nothing for anything but mowing on dry grass.

R4 tires are just a little better at traction than Turf tires. I see folks claiming that Turf and R4 tires are better in snow than R1, I wouldn't know about that since I don't get much snow here but do get lots of wet swampy areas where R4 tires are pretty much useless. One of my tractors has R4 tires and the other R1 and the R1 tires are 1000% better at traction.

As for price of the tires and wheels, try for 75% of new cost whatever that is. I have no idea what the cost for new rims (wheels) would be.

My turfs work great on wet or dry grass, great in sandy soils, waaaaaay better than R4 and AG on pavement plowing snow.

/ Value of Ag wheels/tires? #14  
My turfs work great on wet or dry grass, great in sandy soils, waaaaaay better than R4 and AG on pavement plowing snow.

I ditched the turf tires on my Grasshopper in favor of these. No experience on dry grass with hard packed dirt, but I’m betting it’s similar to turfs. In wet grass the difference is night and day. Much better with the new ones. IMG_4309.JPG

/ Value of Ag wheels/tires? #15  
I ditched the turf tires on my Grasshopper in favor of these. No experience on dry grass with hard packed dirt, but I’m betting it’s similar to turfs. In wet grass the difference is night and day. Much better with the new ones. View attachment 558855

I'd bet those would work better on wet grass on slopes than turfs on a ZTR for sure. My unit is all wheel drive, with one drive motor at each wheel. I rarely have traction issues with my turfs. If they start to spin going up or across a hill, I just lift my mower an inch off the ground, and that transfers all the weight to the front wheels and the slippage stops.

On a side slope in snow on frozen ground, however, the turfs do not do well. My machine will crab sideways quite a bit. As long as I stay on the road, I'm fine, as the road is level, but if I get off on the berm, it's gonna crab.

/ Value of Ag wheels/tires? #16  
I'm curious how independent hydraulic motor driven wheels accomplish a deferential action.

I think most turf tires get such good traction because they are usually wide and have a lot of tread contacting the ground compared to R4. Fill those treads with mud and it's amazing how close to zero traction you have.

/ Value of Ag wheels/tires? #17  
I'm curious how independent hydraulic motor driven wheels accomplish a deferential action.

I think most turf tires get such good traction because they are usually wide and have a lot of tread contacting the ground compared to R4. Fill those treads with mud and it's amazing how close to zero traction you have.

- The left front wheel motor is in series with the right rear wheel motor.
- The right front wheel motor is in series with the left rear wheel motor.
So that's two series circuits.
- Those two series circuits are connected to each other in parallel.

- If the left front wheel motor starts to spin, the pressure in the right rear wheel motor prevents it, and vice versa in the other circuit.

- Pressure is equalized between the circuits through the parallel connection. If something tries to spin, everything else kind of prevents it. Or something like that.

Make sense?

/ Value of Ag wheels/tires? #18  
With Power Trac perfection, it is impossible to spin a wheel or stall the hydro. Just a smoooth ride.

/ Value of Ag wheels/tires? #20  
Another wierd thing is that if you're standing still and turn the steering wheel full left, for example, the left front tire rolls backward while the left rear rolls forward, and the right front rolls forward while the right rear rolls backwards. So you can see why the left front and right rear are in series.... they have to always roll in the same direction. Same goes for the right front and left rear. And those two series circuits have to be able to roll in different directions and at different speeds from each other or the machine would be sorta like a skid steer. As it is, it won't scuff the turf when you turn. It just doesn't happen.