Help with just what to order

/ Help with just what to order #1  

Driver

Tractor
Kubota L4610HST
I have read with interest the many discussions helping folks to refine purchase decisions. I have begun discussions with two (relatively) local dealers and just sent an initial email quote request to Carver's. I would welcome you thoughts regarding my situation.

We are slowly carving out a horse farm from 40 acres of very rocky and very hilly land in Northern Vermont. With hired heavy equipment and much manual labor, we have built paddocks, corrals, and much fencing. We are in the process this year of having a pond built and continuing to clear for much needed pastures.

Up to now, the only machine help I have had is large Yamaha ATV. It has done a reasonably good job pulling a drag chain type harrow and is able to handle a medium-sized four wheel work wagon for some hauling chores. We are relying on hired out plowing for a 1000', steep and winding driveway, and hand shoveling or ATV plowing during the winter for access to horse feeding, manure pile, etc.

I expect to use a new tractor to help with a great many chores, and to get a great deal more done in the limited time available. It would be great to spend a decent fraction of free time working with and riding the horses, and not be fully consumed with property improvement and maintainence.

I started looking at the L3010 and have gradually creeped my way up to the L4610. I am totally sold on 4WD and HST. I have some reservation about going above the L3710 and losing the mid PTO, but I think horsepower needs for heavy duty bush hog work and need to help family with ag tasks makes anything smaller not a good idea.

I plan to buy a loader with the initial purchase, and hope to add a heated cab after a few years. I am debating box scraper VS. scraper blade, and whether to add remotes and TNT now or in the future. Of course, if I add everything to the list now, then I can't make the purchase now!/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Boy is there a lot to think about. Any comments would be appreciated.

Driver

/ Help with just what to order #2  
Driver
Came close to getting the 3710 but chose the 4610 for the extra HP and FEL capacity. I wondered how badly I'd miss that mid-mount PTO. So far the L4610 has impressed me so well that I don't regret buying her/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
regards
Mutt

/ Help with just what to order #3  
DRIVER: being a compact owner(b2400) not sure i am qualified to help. from reading your post and knowing what i do, i think u would be better off with larger machine, seems like u have a lot of hard work to do, and unless u need to run a belly mower or a front blower, mid pto is not that great a loss.4wd and hst are a good choice. good luck in your decision.

/ Help with just what to order #4  
Driver,

WOW, no matter what you get it will probably seem like heaven compared to what you are doing now!

As they say, if you have room to use it (and can afford it), Bigger is better. Don't over look the price of the larger implements either. But from your note, if you are going to be clearing those monster rocks you guys have out East, you may want to focus on the biggest FEL you can get. (Or a Back hoe).

What ever you get, once you start using it, you will think you died and went to heaven!

John Bud

/ Help with just what to order #5  
Driver,

I've been coming to this board for coming up on two years. I dont' remember a post where someone wished they'd bought smaller...other than someone buying a geared M series and wished they had gotten a HST L series. I've had that same battle myself.

Get a FEL, tooth bar, you already know that 4wd is a must, and a canopy really helps.

Good luck to you.

Bill Cook

/ Help with just what to order #6  
If you are moving a lot of large round bales, be sure to get a tractor large enough to handle them. You may even want to drive an M series. I doubt you will need the mid PTO option, since pasture mowing and such will be best served by a brush hog. If not the M series, those Kubota factory cab L series sure look pretty nice!

/ Help with just what to order #7  
Driver, after thinking about it a few short moments, I decided that a L4610 HST, TnT, and any number of "brush hog" type mowers up to about 84" would be a great place to start. The L4610 HST over all the others in the Grande L lineup for 2 very important reasons. Loader lift capacity and HP/pump capacity. Both go up over the other great models, but it is the larger lift capacity you will like best. I would consider a box scraper over a blade simply for all around use and much needed ballast. Get a 72" box with about 800 to 1000lbs of steel in it. The L 3710 does have a mid pto, but a rear mower like a brush hog or a fininshing mower will be more practical for you. While a mid mount mower can be left on for loader work/scraper work, it can be a liability. Rat...

P.S. I always assume folks are getting 4WD and a loader. Its the exception when they don't

/ Help with just what to order
Thanks for all of the responses.

Fortunately, I don't have to move large hay bales, but we do end up handling small bales with great frequency. Sometimes we are able to get a group of neighbors together to load and stack everyones hayloft. Hay season around here can be real tricky. By the time we have a few dry days to cut and dry hay, the rain is coming and you have to work fast to get it in the barn while it is still dry. Finding small bales for horses is getting harder now as most farmers are either putting up larger wrapped bales or chopping for haylage.

I sure wanted that box scraper yesterday as I was trying to condition the outdoor arena with just the chain harrow and the ATV!

Driver

Rat,

The Carver web site indicated that an 84" brush cutter might bog down the L4610 at times. Do you think this is a serious concern?

Driver

Mutt,

No regrets so far about not having a front blower?

Driver