Tractor/confused/not confused/confused again....

/ Tractor/confused/not confused/confused again.... #1  

Anonymous Poster

First of all let me thank everyone for their response Frank_f15,Jag,GlueGuy,Patrickg,70boss,john-bud and bird. After reading all your responses, weighing all the pros and cons, and observations you all posted I had made the decision to purchase a 2410HSD. So whats the confusion right? Well armed with all the knowledge you folks shared with me, and the knowledge gained from reading all the information you directed me too, I made a phone call down to the dealership. After speaking with the dealer for some time he is trying to sway me into purchasing the 2710HSD. He quotes "the slight cost difference in Kubota market pricing between the 2410HSD and the 2710HSD". He went on to say he "eventually sees the 2410 model leaving the kubota line in the future". He basis this on the fact that there is only a slight price difference between the 2410 and the 2710 models and the 2710 has more bang for the buck. He feels the more prudent purchase over the long haul would be for me to purchase the 2710. So now I'm confused again. What is the main difference between these two models? He is accurate in saying the 2710 has more bang for the buck? or is he just giving me a sales pitch? What of his comment that the 2410 could eventually be sunsetted from the kubota line? Just when I thought I was all set I'm now confused again!!!

/ Tractor/confused/not confused/confused again.... #2  
Scootrd1, my dealer mentioned once that his major (and I guess only) complaint with Kubota was that they had "too many" different models. At the time I bought my B2710, it was on the lot and the dealer didn't have a B2410 in stock. One question I asked him at the time was what was the smallest tractor I could get with power steering and position control. He answered truthfully, but like your dealer, said he felt that the 2710 was the better deal for the price difference. Now I've never used a 2410, couldn't even guess as to whether it will be dropped from the line (but won't be surprised if it is), so I guess I can't really answer your question, but I do think you'd probably be happy if you follow that dealer's advice. I'm certainly glad I got the 2710. Now if there had been a 2910 at that time, I might have had another difficult decision./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif And just as I won't be surprised if they drop the 2410, I won't be surprised if they drop the 2710 now that they have the 2910. Who knows?/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Cars and tractors have new models coming out; old being dropped all the time. That doesn't mean there won't still be support and parts for the older ones or that they weren't good models.

Bird

/ Tractor/confused/not confused/confused again.... #3  
Scootrd1,

I encountered the same logic when I was purchasing my B2410. Why not spend the extra relatively small amount of cash and go to the B2710? But then if you are buying the B2710, why not spend the relatively small amount of cash to go to the B2910? The same logic was used on and by me when pricing out NH (why not move up from the TC25D to the TC29D for a small amount of cash?...)and JD!!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

At some point you need to decide what size is good for you and your needs. I ended up sticking with the B2410 because I felt it was the right size for my needs. I haven't used it much yet, but I sure hope I made the right decision /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif. If you have decided on the B2410, you must have some reasons (size, manouverability, cost, etc)...does the B2710 meet those requirements? If so, go for it. But don't be surprised if someone suggests spending "a little extra money" to move up to the B2910! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Kevin

/ Tractor/confused/not confused/confused again.... #4  
I have been looking at the same dilemma. The price jump is not much more as you go. The B2710, and 2910 are significant jump from the B2410. There are more "deluxe features", which came in response to the "D" package New Hollands. If you can afford the 2710, I would say your dealer is right. If the 2410 stretches your budget....you will not be dis-satisfied with it. I can see why they would discontinue the B2410, the B7500 is priced so much less it would be hard to justify the extra money for position control and a few horsepower. In my own little crystal ball, I can see the B7500 getting position control, and the B2410 dropping out. After all the narrow B7500DTN, HAS position control.

/ Tractor/confused/not confused/confused again.... #5  
Scootrd1

I understand your confusion too. I too was looking to purchase my first real tractor of my own. I looked at all of the Compact Tractors on the market. i.e. JD, NH,MF,ect. I did finally narrow it down to Kubota first looking to buy the B7500 with loader but then after reading all the good input from this Web site I concluded that I would not be happy without Position Control and a little more HP at the PTO.

So I started to look at the B2410 and found that the price deference between the B2410 and the B2710 for the tractor was around $1,000 and to go from the Front Loader LA352 used on the B2410 to the LA 402 used on the B2710 and B2910 was only $300 for a total of $1,300

What would I gain from the up grade to the B2710? Well 2 more HP at the PTO, larger fuel tank, 3 Range HST instead of 2 Range HST, Better hydraulic output 9.5gpm versa 7.0 gpm and larger rear Tires, Longer wheelbase. The loader bucket capacity was more

That now got me thinking way not move up to the B2910 to move up from the B2710
I would get the same loader and would pickup 2 more HP at the PTO plus, Ratchet type 3 point lift rod and telescopic lower link ends, Cruise control a big help when mowing, telescopic tilt steering and better seat all for $800 more over the B2710

So it just came down to how much you want to spend. I looked at it this way this should be my first and last tractor I will ever need. Keep it well maintained and it will last you years.

I hope this helps

TomR

<font color=orange> text </font color=orange> Tom R

/ Tractor/confused/not confused/confused again.... #6  
I originally wanted the 7500, but maybe I want the 2410? OK the 2410. OK, lets see if I can get another dealer to beat the price. The second dealer did beat the price (by a long shot) and also quoted a difference of only $700 between the 2410 and the 2710, and that was WITH the loader (and the smaller Kubota backhoe and 60" mm mower, and filled R-4s $23800). Going to the 2910 would have jumped me another $2000 from the 2710. For whatever reason, I think the second dealer I was working with had a desire to move some 2710s. It sure was the sweet spot in his price.

Now, if only they would deliver it so I could find out if it is too heavy to mow with in my soft yard....(maybe I shoulda gone with the 2410 after all.....?????)

PaulT
Soon to be the pround owner of a brand spankin' new Kubota 2710

/ Tractor/confused/not confused/confused again.... #7  
Who can ever tell what's going through a dealer's mind when he's selling you a tractor??? I went to pick up a B7500, then decided I wanted to move up to a B2710. My dealer told me that would be fine, but that the B2x10 models were way over priced and really meant for the "estate" owners who liked all the bells 'n whistles and didn't care about price. I felt kind of insulted 'cause I think of my little 10-acre homeplace as an estate of sorts /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif. So after much contemplation on my part I decided my needs would be best suited with an L2600DT with FEL, even though I could have bought the L3000DT with FEL for only $800 more.

Point is... you can spend whatever you think you can afford, but it's best to remember exactly what you were buying the tractor for in the first place and keep your choice to what meets your need.

Darn... I sure wish I'd opted for the M9000 with cab /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

/ Tractor/confused/not confused/confused again.... #8  
Scootr,

Welcome to confusion central! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I think we all must go through this routine. I don't think I went through quite as much as some, but I sure had my share!

I started out with what I thought was an open mind. I wanted something relatively small to make it through many narrow/small places at our place, but at the same time I needed something big enough to handle some serious chores. When I first saw the B7500, I knew it was the one. Plenty of muscle (for its size), yet small enough to fit almost anywhere. After now using it for about 32 hours, I am more convinced than ever. Some of the really small turnarounds that I've managed with this would have been impossible with a tractor that was even 6" longer.

The GlueGuy

/ Tractor/confused/not confused/confused again.... #9  
Wow Scootrd1,

You sure do have us fighting to give you the best answer! Too bad we can't all show up at the dealer with you. Now that would be a sight, eh? And you thought we were clambering over each other like mad dogs for a bone now, you should see us in the dealership with all that <font color=orange>orange</font color=orange> equipment!

I don't know how much is hype, but if you are the type that looks back and says, "I wish I had only spent that extra xxx$..."
you might want to up size. If you are happy with equipment that does what it was purchased for, you will probably be OK.

Me? I went looking for something in the B2410 size range with a gear tranny and walked out with an L3410 HST. But I know for a fact that in my case is was NOT hype! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

The summary short story is, "you spend more, you get more". It's the classic case of "How much do you want?" versus "How much do you Need?". Either way, you will have a great tractor that will work hard for you for a long long time.

John Bud

35-43507-little_tractor.gif

/ Tractor/confused/not confused/confused again.... #10  
Heck even after owning my L3410 since November I'm still not totally sure if I bought the right tractor or not. At times it's too big, at other times it's just right and once in awhile I wish it had just a bit more Hp. Overall I think I made the best choice for my use, but which tires? I went with Ag's but r-4's sure would be nice in some places and turfs would work better on the lawn, but those ag's sure do get you through some tough spots. The things I'm positive of is the HST, FEL and orange. I'll let everyone know if I made the right choice in about 10 years! I think which ever model you go with it will get the job done, just faster or slower. Good luck and I told my wife that she can bury me someday with my new Kubota so it better be the right one!