Buying Advice M4950 DT 4WD 4076hrs - advise please

/ M4950 DT 4WD 4076hrs - advise please #1  

H20Buffalo4Sale

Tractor
Looking for 1st tractor
I recently received an auction advertisement that includes a Kubota M4950 DT 4WD 49HP with a FEL and a box blade. I took at look at the tractor this weekend and it has 4076 hours on it. I found very little rust on it and no indication of leaks. It appears that if was recently painted and it has decals or something on it that read "1840". I would have thought that "1840" was the model number. Can anyone tell me about this model? Things to look out for? Please see the attached picture. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Attachments

• 480428-Kubota-M4950-DT-med.jpg
    480428-Kubota-M4950-DT-med.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,092
   / M4950 DT 4WD 4076hrs - advise please
I found out that "1840" is the model # of the FEL. I called the local tractor store and a lady there said that they would have no trouble getting parts for a M4950DT. Then she put a salesman on the phone who told me that he thinks that particular tractor at the auction place has problems and has been auctioned at least once before for $5,000. He told me that they have a brand new Kubota M4800 4WD tractor with a front end loader for $22,100 that is about the current equivalent of a M4950DT. Unfortunately I do not have that kind of money to spend on a tractor.

/ M4950 DT 4WD 4076hrs - advise please #3  
According to the Kubota website, they sold the M4950 in 1983, so you are looking at a 21 year old tractor that has been used a couple hundred hours per year on average ... that's not a lot for an ag type tractor, and if it was given decent care, it should have plenty of hours left in its useful life.

The fact it's for sale could be a tip off that it does have problems, but I'd take that with a grain of salt if it's coming from a guy who makes a living selling new tractors.

The things to look out for are the obvious ones, like clutch, gearbox, other drive train parts, engine operation, steering, hydraulics. I would want to give it a good workout and maybe have someone who works on tractors look at it before getting my checkbook out.

Last night I found oil in the radiator, so I did not even bother with the test run that I had planned. I may end up bidding on some of the other tractors that will be at the auction today. When this Kubota goes up for bid should I yell "IT HAS OIL IN THE RADIATOR!!!" ? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ M4950 DT 4WD 4076hrs - advise please #5  
That depends. If you were going to bid on other items, the auctioneer probably wouldn't take too kindly to your helpful announcement /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

That is what I figured. The winning bidder got the tractor for $4,000. The same bidder won on several other tractors as well. I left with no tractor. I regret not having bid on a 52HP David Brown 990 2WD tractor. I did not bid because they could not get the 3pt to move. It went for $2,000.