confused/not/confused - followup

/ confused/not/confused - followup #1  

Anonymous Poster

Thank you all for your responses. What I have been able to surmise from all the great input comes down to this:

Is 2 more HP at the PTO, a slightly larger fuel and 3 Range HST instead of 2 Range HST, justify the price increase from 2410 to 2710. Perhaps these dollars would be better spent on implements.

However staying with that thought process:

does the lack of position control and few extra Hp justify the jump up from the 7500 to the 2410 .. (I have read all the threads on position control and am still not sure if I comprehend it's total significance).

It sure would be nice to make the determination whether I really need it or not then I could purchase a 7500 and a whole slew of implements and be done with it.

Hmmm where is enlightenment when you need it************

In other words I get all of your point's I will probably settle on the 2410 if I can negotiate a good deal..which is where I was to begin with before the salesman started blowing in my ear...

One last question

like an auto are there better times diring the year to purchace a tractor?

/ confused/not/confused - followup #2  
YES! At least in the South there's a better time to shop tractors, and that's in the winter when all the farmers are head'n for the Carribbean /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ confused/not/confused - followup #3  
I don't want to add any more confusion to your decision process, but...

The issue I would consider is not whether the extra x $ for x model is "worth it" but rather if you need/can use the extra x horsepower and x features of x model. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Continuing on the upsizing trail, what about the B2910? /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif There really isn't an end to what you can try to justify purchasing when you get into the upsizing mode. I say don't go more than one model above what you really need... if you want to be logical with this purchase. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Also consider which implements you need and will actually use. Sure, you can buy a B7500 with more implements than a B2410 or B2710, but do you really need those implements? Will you use them? Will buying the smaller tractor in favor of more implements result in not enough power for your regular tasks/chores?

The B2410 is a fine tractor. I really like the improvements Kubota made to it over the B2400; improving the hydraulics, increasing travel speed in hi range, adding an illuminated dash and metal fenders, etc, and dropping the price about $700 (MSRP).

But the big factor here is that the LA351/LA352 loader went basically unchanged and still is a bit behind the B2710's LA401/LA402 in terms of bucket size, lift height and capacity, and operating speed. And, the LA402 only costs $100 more than the LA352... no contest there. I would strongly consider that factor if you're buying a loader with this tractor. Although the B2710 does cost a bit more, it can take the better loader, larger implements, and has more power overall.

Again, the issue is whether you can use the extra performance or not... if you really need it. I'd say the B2710 is worth the price increase, but so is the B2410 over the B7500, and so on. But do you need it? Can you use it? Do you want it? Can you "swing it" financially?

<font color=blue><like an auto are there better times diring the year to purchace a tractor?></font color=blue>

During sales. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Actually this time of year is a good season to buy during... dealers have stock, often have some sales running, plenty of tractors moving. The region you're in will also determine which season is best to buy in.

msig.gif

/ confused/not/confused - followup #4  
Scootr,

The PC "might" be worth it if you have the need for it. Don't know that the 3 range HST has any real significance over a 2 range....(don't know that I would use it). Actually, for "me", neither made any difference. That's why I ended up with a B7500. Real tractor operators don't need no stinking position control. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

The GlueGuy

/ confused/not/confused - followup #5  
Glueguy,

<font color=blue>Real tractor operators don't need no stinking position control</font color=blue>....

...which is why this compete tractor rookie went with a B2410 with position control!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Kevin
(One Day Going to Be a Real Tractor Operator)

/ confused/not/confused - followup #6  
going to repeat myself. u will , on certain days wish u went larger, then other days wish u went smaller. from everything u said, i think u should get the 2410.without knowing where u live or land conditions, seems like the middle of the road is the way to go.

/ confused/not/confused - followup #7  
Glueguy,
I think you are right. The BLUE team was supposed to deliver a new TC21D on Wed., but they didn't show. That gave me one last chance to look over a B7500. I can save $1400 on the tractor package of a B7500 vs. the TC.
Scoot:
With all of the people on this board buying and using the BX series from Kubota, I don't think you will miss position control. I know I have been commenting on it (PC), but unless you are doing repeated fine grading where the level of the dirt is critical, I doubt you will miss this feature. The price on the B7500 is hard to beat, it's almost $2000 cheaper than the B2410 in my area. If you were chooing between the B7500, the 2410, and the 2710, I would just jump to the 2710 as you will get more "bang for your buck" over the 2410. HAVE YOU DRIVEN ANY YET?? That will be the real test.

Good Luck!

/ confused/not/confused - followup #8  
Myself and I think most others here can sympathize with you. Unless one has a bottomless checkbook it seems we're destined to make similar decisions once the time comes to buy a tractor.

As a recent 2710 buyer, here's my 2 cents worth. I looked and priced all the models you're considering plus the BX models and green and blue tractors! Geez, I really like them all! But in my area the 2410 seemed to be the worst value. Still a fine tractor though! The single biggest price jump in the B series was from the 7500 to 2410. I felt that the jump from the 2410 to the 2710 was modest and that I was getting good value... a bit more tractor and FEL. To prove to myself and my wife that I had SOME restraint and/or sanity I resisted moving up to the 2910 /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif. I actually think this (the 2910) and the 7500 might be the best values in the line. I also just liked the look and feel of the slightly larger tractor. A theme you'll often hear around here is, "if you can, buy the largest tractor that will work for you" and this made sense to me. So far, the 2710 seems to be a good choice for MY situation. As for position control, all I can say is I'm glad I have it. It's been very handy when setting up and using the rotary cutter... but I could have used check chains. Good luck with your choice!

Dave

/ confused/not/confused - followup #9  
One of the reasons I decided on a B2400 with PC was the ease of use . My wife is not afraid to use the tractor and without the use of chains on the cutter, I can tell her what "position" number to use and set the stop. Also for use of the box blade.

/ confused/not/confused - followup #10  
Okay, I just got done testing a B7500 with a rear blade to see if I could live without the position control. The answer...YES. You can position the implement exactly where you want it and it is relatively easy to use. I can't see where you would need check chains. The only situation where I can see a large difference and the need for PC is fine grading. I am glad I had the dealer hook up a blade. Now I think the New Holland dealer is not going to be very happy when I call them to come pick up their tractor they delivered today.