Your Opinion on Mid PTO vs Rear PTO

/ Your Opinion on Mid PTO vs Rear PTO #1  

WayneW

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610
I have read from a couple posters here that they have referred to the Mid PTO on most tractors as "whimpy". Is this a torque thing? I mean the rear PTO is 540 rpm. (Or 960 RPM according to Kubota's specs) The Mid PTO is like 2500 RPM. Is the Rear PTO "geared lower" for more grunt type work?

Reason for questioning is that for implements that can be used for either (MMM & RFM, Front snowblower & 3PT snowblower), is one preferred over the other? And I'm not referring to an ergonomic (Wow! Big word! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) or manuverabilty (another one!) preference. Strickly a "useable power" question.

/ Your Opinion on Mid PTO vs Rear PTO #2  
Basically, it seems that the mid PTO and mid-PTO shafts, etc., are of lighter construction than rear PTO related stuff.

However, almost all mid-PTO stuff is sold by the manufacturer and designed with the limitations, etc., of the mid-PTO in mind. So, I have an MMM for the BX2200 and a front mount blower for the L3010 (because I have back problems and driving backwards causes me too much grief). Both are well made, etc., and I have no reservations whether the capabilites of the mid-PTO are a limiting factor for either. In fact, I believe the front blower is much more robust the any PTO mount I've seen, but that could be because its built to operate on a much bigger tractor than mind (with the appropriate adapters).

Mind you, I wouldn't try the BX2200 deck on the 3010, even if it did fit, because of the 50% HP difference.

/ Your Opinion on Mid PTO vs Rear PTO #3  
Since then Mid PTO rotates over four turns in the same time the Rear PTO turns only once, it in effect divides the work done in that time by four, so the shaft can be much smaller and lighter and do the same amount of work (not per turn, but per unit of time). Doing ¼ the work per turn, but turning 4 times as fast. Of course the equipment will be designed to efficiently use whatever RPM is supplied.

/ Your Opinion on Mid PTO vs Rear PTO
Have your tried one vs the other? Curious if one performed better. If I understand what you said correctly, the gearing in the implement should compansate for any differences in RPMs, correct? At least on paper. Just curious about a "real world" application.

/ Your Opinion on Mid PTO vs Rear PTO #5  
<font color="blue"> Have your tried one vs the other? Curious if one performed better. </font>

It seems very difficult to compare the two PTOs because you cannot normally hook the same implement to one or the other. Implements are generally specific to either the rear PTO or the mid PTO, but not both.

I had a RFM on my larger tractor, and have a MMM on my smaller tractor. Both worked real well.

My bet is the mid and rear PTOs are equally good.

I doubt that one wears out faster than the other if not abused.

Implements are designed to work at the speed of the PTO they are attached to.

My guess is that in the real world, both PTOs function about the same and have the same life span.

This is just a gut feeling and I do not have anything to back it up. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Your Opinion on Mid PTO vs Rear PTO #6  
Is there any other implement for a mid PTO besides a mower deck??

Just curious -- I don't have a mid PTO.

/ Your Opinion on Mid PTO vs Rear PTO #7  
I guess front mounted snow blowers are often driven by a mid PTO. Not sure what else...

/ Your Opinion on Mid PTO vs Rear PTO #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is there any other implement for a mid PTO besides a mower deck??

Just curious -- I don't have a mid PTO. )</font>

As Henro mentioned...the front snow blower. About the only other thing I've seen is a front sweeper.

/ Your Opinion on Mid PTO vs Rear PTO #9  
Don't your machines have a front PTO? I always assumed a blower or sweeper ran off the front.

/ Your Opinion on Mid PTO vs Rear PTO #10  
Nope. They run off the mid PTO with a long driveshaft, then there is a universal joint and smaller front driveshaft to the implement, which allows it to raise and lower.