Tractor Sizing Reassesing the tractor size...

/ Reassesing the tractor size... #1  

Rolando

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat High Flow Turbo C-series
I'm thinking that perhaps I should take a step back. After reading a lot more of the other threads on the forum, I wonder if I wasn't too hasty in settling on the tractor size I did. I have been aiming at a 30HP like the L3130 or L3010, but is that the appropriate size?

I will only have a 5 acre parcel. While I would do a lot of tree clearing prior to and shortly after construction of my house, after that I will probably just be mowing and minor improvements. Should I just size for the mowing needs and rent or pay someone for the clearing needs?

At one time 5 acres seemed huge to me, but after reading about the sizes of property you all take care of, 5 acres doesn't seem so big anymore. I like the idea of getting a big tractor (relatively speaking), but do I really need one this big?

/ Reassesing the tractor size... #2  
It's not the size of your parcel, it's what you do with it. If you hire out the clearing, they will get it done fast, but where's the fun in that? Still, you have to decide how you want to spend your time.

How much of the land are you clearing? How much do you intend to mow. 30HP is a pretty big tractor to mow around the house with. Are you planning to also have a small lawn tractor?

If you're going to spend a few years clearing the rest of the land selectively and converting it to pasture or into lawn, then 30HP probably isn't out of line and you can trade down later when you don't need that size anymore. If you rent, when you're done you have nothing, whereas if you buy a bit large and do it yourself in your good sweet time and enjoy the process, when you're done, you have a tractor with some value and some great experience.

Cliff

/ Reassesing the tractor size... #3  
Getting the right size tractor is always a tough one. I have an L3600 which is 31 HP at the PTO. I have 30 Acres of land. Most times it is just right. Sometimes I wish it were bigger and sometimes I wish it were smaller. Either way is equally frustrating but there is no perfect answer.

In your case one question is "what do you mean by clearing"? If you're just pulling felled trees around it doesn't take a huge tractor. Just cut 'em one more time into smaller sizes. If you're planning to uproot stumps of any size then save yourself the aggravation. It'll take a VERY large tractor to do that. Oh you can do one big one if you have all weekend to get it out but that's not very effective.

I think your logic is on the mark about the clearing. If it is a one time thing then work around it and buy the tractor for the long term needs only.

Good luck!

/ Reassesing the tractor size...
I would be leaving 1 of the 5 acres intact for buffers. Then probably clearing 70 to 80% of the trees in the remaining 4. Most of the trees are less than 8" and I was thinking I would push them over to get the roots out as well. I'm still thinking about what I would do with them after that.

There's nothing like doing something yourself for getting it done right, and I'm not crazy about letting someone else do the clearing for me. But I'm trying to be practical. I just don't know.

After being used to an L3130 type tractor for a couple of years, would I be satisfied after downsizing to a 4-acre-mowing-size tractor after the clearing was finished?

/ Reassesing the tractor size... #5  
You said eight inch trees? I'd look at the B series. I have a B7800 that just pushed over 11 year old black pines. Did about 12 of them in half an hour. Took me more time to cut and drag them to a pile then it did to take them out. I based my sizing on what I wanted my lot to look like in the future years. I have a lawn mower for my front, and the B7800 handles the rest of the acreage.

I liked the ground clearance, weight factors and power of the B7800.

I try not to clear cut acreage, although I can, it is really rough and beats the crap out of both my machine and I. I have called in dozers for the clearing. The B7800 does the cleanup, brushpile work and ocassional stumping.

YMMV
-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Reassesing the tractor size... #6  
Hi...

I up-sized to a new L3130 with the LA723 loader & BH90 backhoe from a 1980's Deere 750 (~20hp) with loader & backhoe...

I have only 2 1/2+ acres that is predominately clear hayfield... a few trees and stumps to remove... some brush to clear... some 2-3' rocks I dug out... more to go... 200' stone filled fence line to dig up and clear & level... some "dead furrow" soil levelling to do... graded for a garage pad... 400' driveway and utility trenches to do...

Also use the Kubota for snow removal at my house (and a few neighbors) on a small 3/10 acre lot...

Occasionally I hire myself & tractor out for work...

It's a lot easier/faster with the Kubota than it woulda' been with the smaller Deere... although it would have handled most of the tasks...

For mowing 2 1/2 acres... I bought a 1980's garden tractor with a 5' belly mower instead of a rear finish mower for the Kubota (maybe in the future)... works well for me...

Yeah... it's a lotta tractor for 2 1/2 acres... but as said above... it's the work ya' wanna do that matters most... not necessarily the amount of land...

Plus... I REALLY enjoy operating the new tractor ! This was a significant part of my decision to upgrade and also get an enclosed heated cab...

Deliberate often... decide once...

Dave...

/ Reassesing the tractor size... #7  
Most people recommend that buying a bigger tractor is better. I guess I will be the lonely voice to oppose that theory.

Personally I think many people buy tractors for their initial work and forget to think about the future. A good tractor is a 20 year tool. If you push the trees over in year 1, will you need the L3130 for the remaining 19?

I would rent a tractor or better yet a dozer to know down the trees, and I would look at buying one of the 24hp machines. They are small frame tractors, will not push the trees down as easily, but will mow a lot better. The 24hp machines will run slightly smaller implements so you are not really giving up much and you are increasing manuverability. After several years with a B2910 I now do most of my tractoring with a NH TC24 and I find many jobs get done just as fast, and some jobs are easier because the smaller tractor fits down paths and in between trees better. I have about 11 acres, with lots of trees and varied terrain from flats to hills and find the 24hp a great size.

/ Reassesing the tractor size... #8  
I agree with Bob. In fact a BX tractor may even be an option if you aren't planning on lifting a whole lot.

The 3010 had some issues with the mid-mount mower not working with the R4 tires, as I recall. Don't know if the 3130 has the same problem or not.

Anyway, a dozer rental would be less than the difference between a big and small tractor. However, it wouldn't allow you to be as selective about which trees you take out. Once they're gone, they are gone. Better be sure.

/ Reassesing the tractor size... #9  
Once the clearing is done, a BX2200 (or whatever the current model is) with a FEL and MMM may be just the thing. I find my 3010 roughs up the lawn too much (especially when its wet) and is just too big for some jobs.

On the other hand, you can't get a Kubota hoe for the BX22XX, and the FEL lift is relatively modest - you wouldn't want to lift more than a few hundred pounds.

I don't know about pushing over trees - I couldn't do that size tree with my 3010, but it probably depends on soil. I'd get a dozer in for a day to do that sort of thing. On the other hand there is plenty of heavier work the 3010 is great for.

The BXs work good as super heavy duty lawn tractors, and mos realy good with the MMM without the FEL. I take off the MMM when FELing.

The great thing with the BX is that they aren't very tippy, and I figure are safer.

I'll try remember to post some examples of what my wife has accomplished with the BX.

/ Reassesing the tractor size... #10  
I'm with you Bob. (Us bob's need to stick together) After the initial bull work is done what will you need? A nice lawn mower with the options of implements? My BX2230 is great for most everyday use. The bulldozer will make short work of the trees and then a smaller tractor will do just fine.