Specs - Orange, Green, Blue

/ Specs - Orange, Green, Blue #1  

Ingo

Tractor
Cub 2186
A few questions about specs. Been comparing the B2710, TC25D and 4200 and leaning towards orange, but at least on paper it doesn't spec out as good as blue and green.

First on HP: all list 20 PTO HP, but the engine HPs are 27 on the B2710, 26 on the 4200, and 25 on the TC25D. Is Kubota being liberal on the engine HP, conservative on the PTO HP, or is it just less efficient delivering the power to the PTO?

Second on hydraulics: Kubota lists 9.5 gpm total flow while JD and NH list separate numbers for the main and steering pumps. I assume the Kubota number includes both - is this true? If so, it has the lowest spec. Is the flow rate a good measure of hydraulic capacity, or are there other things to consider? Interestingly, the Kubota loader has the best lift capacity, if those numbers are comparable.

Third, on weight: the 4200 says 2675 "field wgt", the TC25D says 2334 "shipping wgt", and the B2710 is 1741 "weight". Seems to be a big difference for similarly sized tractors. I read on this board that a B2710 w/ loader was about 2500lbs, so the 1741 sounds about right. Also read somewhere that JD includes a 175lb operator in its "field wgt". How much weight does water/antifreeze ballast add?

That all said, I don't think any of these are make or break issues for my decision, but I am curious about them.

/ Specs - Orange, Green, Blue #2  
PTO HP is valid on most data sheets IF they are the same configuration. If you consider that a hydrostatic transmission and power steering do eat up some HP, then the comparisions will be pretty close. Go set on each of them and talk to the dealer about what they recommend for your use as oppossed to you telling him which one you want. You may be surprised.

Weight is another funny issue and is hard to get a straight answer unless you take them all to a scale and weigh them. My tractor is a little larger than that, but it has 1500# of water/antifreeze (non-toxic type) in the tires.

Kubota (and other manufacturers) seem to spec the loader to match the size of the tractor to give you safe lifting capabilities. The hydraulics are normally sized primarily to the loader requirements. My tractor has seperate pumps for steering and for system hydraulics, but do not know how the 2710 is set up.

The 2710 is a nice tractor. Go drive one. Kubota seems to be the undisputed leader in compact tractors and you will soon see why.

/ Specs - Orange, Green, Blue
All 3 tractors are hydrostatic w/ power steering. I'd love to drive one, but neither of the two dealers I've been to had one to drive (one 15 mi. and one 40 mi. away). I plan to call Carver's and go down there to hopefully drive one, but haven't been able to find the time (about 90 mi.)

Interestingly both the Kubota dealers I've been to also sell NH, and both pushed the smaller Kubotas (7500 or 2410) but pushed the larger Boomers (TC25D or TC29D) over the 2710 or 2910. When I asked why, neither had what I considered a good answer (nicer seat, etc.)

/ Specs - Orange, Green, Blue #4  
You will certainly find enthusists here for any of these tractors. The important thing is what you think about them. I went to the dealers and asked to see their shop and parts area. One dealer had a graveyard of old tractors setting everywhere and he had stuff broken down all over the place. It was a red tractor and I did not go back.

Went to a Kubota dealer and in the service area they had NO tractors being worked on, but were busy putting together several new ones that had been sold. Also noticed the size of the rental fleet that left there every morning. There was very little repair even on rental tractors! I was very impressed.

I also owned my last tractor for six years and never had it in the shop except at the end of the six years. It was a Massey. The Kubota is much better designed and manufactured, so doubt that it will ever see the inside of a shop. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Specs - Orange, Green, Blue #5  
Ingo, one correction to your weight specs. The TC25D shipping weight is listed at 2474 lbs. The weight you had was for the TC25 2wd.

/ Specs - Orange, Green, Blue
I stand corrected. Been looking at too many @#%$ numbers to &%#$@ long /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

BTW, I'm not going to buy anything on specs, but I am really curious about where the HP goes and want some insight into what the hydraulic flow capacity means in a practical sense. It's pretty obvious the Kubotas are significantly lighter unless someone's just plain lying /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Specs - Orange, Green, Blue #7  
Maybe one of these days, I'll get my B2710 to some scales because the "specs" on the different brands do make me wonder. I've driven my cousin's TC29 and it didn't feel any heavier or more stable, and when I moved some downed trees and a pile of dirt, it didn't seem to have any better traction or more power (either one will spin the wheels), but that ain't a very scientific comparison./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif And I didn't want to get them side by side in a power comparison because I don't want him to be disappointed in his tractor./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Specs - Orange, Green, Blue #8  
Ingo - Kubota doesn't spec their weights the same as the other manufacturers, unfortunately. Their weights don't include wheels and tires, for one thing. It seems like there was something else, but I don't remember what it was. Muhammad checked on this for us once, I think. Maybe he'll jump in and tell us. I'm sure it's in the archives, but it might be hard to find. I'll see if I can find it.

Mark

/ Specs - Orange, Green, Blue #10  
Mabe those models were the ones they had in stock The average dealer will always try to sell off the lot first. Reduce the floorplan and keep you from buying from another dealer if possible.