Tractor or Zero-Turn?

/ Tractor or Zero-Turn? #1  

Anonymous Poster

Sorry for all the info given and questions asked below, but in order to get an accurate answer from this forum, you will need to know in detail what kind of work I need my tractor/mower to do. My home is located on a 5 acre lot that I have been mowing with a Craftsman 18 HP 42" mower and lawn sweeper for the the last 3 years and need to upgrade to either a sub/compact tractor or commercial zero-turn mower(or both) to cut down on the time spent mowing. I alternate every other cut between mulching and mowing with the sweeper attached to pick up pine needles and cones.

The front lawn is approximately 2 acres bordered with wooden fence lined with pear trees (planted approximately 70" inches from the fence). The lawn is planted with 30 large pine trees and many azelea bushes and one large flower bed. The pines are mulched with pine needles to about 50" diameter and spaced far apart. The flowerbed and azeleas are spaced out and arranged in different irregular patterns about the yard and would need a machine capable of turning curves, circles, ect. effectively. As you can see, I want to do as little trimming as possible. The grass is centipede and of course the lawn gets it's year-round share of pine needles and pine cones which is particularly heavy in the fall and after storms or windy days.

The back 3 acres is open field and is planted with a bermuda grass and bahalia. The fast growing bahalia keeps me busy and I sometimes have to use the Craftsman as a bush-hog with the blades at the highest cut.This field is quite rough, and it woud be nice to have better suspension than I now have on the Craftsman. Would a sub-compact tractor such a Kubota BX-2200 or B-2410 with the bi-turn option that makes the front wheels turn faster than the back take me effectively around the trees and structures in the front lawn? How would a JD 4300 perform on this type of lawn? Would the JD be too heavy or leave too large an uncut grass area?

This tractor would also have to be able to alternate (easily I hope) between mulching and mowing with a grass catcher. Preferably, a catcher that could be unloaded from the drivers seat such as the one that can be purchased with the JD. Are the grass catchers from Kubota and JD strong enough to pick up the needles and cones in the lawn without jamming up the shute? Does the bagger have its own motor and if so do is the motor equipped with blades that would be capable of grinding/reducing cones.twigs and needles? Which tractor is easily converted to mulch? Would the subcompact BX-200 bog down a 4 four bush-hog in tall bahalia for the back field? It would also like to use it for tilling vegatable gardens and landscaping as well.

Should I be looking at a zero turn mower with a grass catcher for the front 2 acres and a "base" tractor for the back 3 acres or are would one piece of equipment like a sub-compact or compact tractor do all that I need?

Thanks,
Roy

/ Tractor or Zero-Turn?
Roy,you have a delema! The BX does turn tight,better than the craftsmen garden i had. sounds like the 60" deck will serve you good,4w/d on lawn not unless you need it for hills or wet grass,it does go in and out of 4w/d to 2w/d. As for a 4300 or 2410 the weight on lawn is about the same because of wider tires the weight is spread out.a dealer would likely have the PSI info. The BX 2200 will handle 4' bush hog and tiller,someone on the board has a rotory cutter and said it works fine.Since you want a tractor either way i'd get the tractor and see if it meets your requirments,if not then get the zero turn. O ya the bagger on Kubota runs off rear pto and has blower fan so its not likely to plug.

/ Tractor or Zero-Turn?
i would definetly give a lot of thought to the zd21. i just bought one last week, and it's the grass cuttinest' machine i ever seen! i mow 3 acres, with 60 to 70 trees, and it takes exactly hour and a half. and fuel is unbelievable. have used 1/8 tank (about 1 gallon) in 7.1 hours. dealer said there are mulching blades available, but i dont use. may try them in fall with all the leaves. bagger?? don't know, since this is first kubota i ever owned, but i tell ya' i am 100% satisfied!! $8800 well spent!

/ Tractor or Zero-Turn? #4  
If my math is correct that is equivalent to 14.2 acres of grass cutting on ONE GALLON of fuel. I know it is a good machine but it can't be that good....!

/ Tractor or Zero-Turn? #5  
Well, I can understand wanting a 2410--I do too but I want the L30 more--anyway--the BX is what I got and it does just fine. You do not need the bispeed in the 2410 for mowing--just take it out of 4WD for mowing. The bi-speed more useful when manuvering in tight with a loader and such. You will find the BX will make your Craftman seem like a silly plastic toy out of a Craker Jack box and you will find it very stable and manuverable. I think if you get a 2410 or a JD4100 you will still need a nice LT then for the front lawn area--depends on your landscapping and how particular you are about the lawn area. Good luck. If you can only have one machine the BX will do the job and since you have been getting along with a Crapman I am sure you will be very pleased with the differece--viva-la-difference! J

/ Tractor or Zero-Turn? #6  
Roy,

I had the same dilemma for quite a while. I live on 10 acres, 3 of which is finished lawn, and plow a small garden. I also have about 10-12 acres that will need clearing. I needed something that turned tight enough to mow around trees and shrubs but could also handle clearing work. I liked the BX2200 but didn't want to buy it then decide I needed a larger tractor later. I also liked the B2410 but didn't know how effective a lawn tractor it would make. I couldn't find anyone that actually had a tractor with the Bi-speed turn and none of the Kubota dealers in the area had one so that I could make and informed decision. Just by chance I recently had the opportunity to try a B1550 with Bi-speed turn. I was impressed enough that I ordered the 2410.

It works by increasing the speed of the front wheels when they are turned >30 degrees. The tractor must be in 4wd for the Bi-speed turn to work. Under hard cornering the turning radius of the tractor is almost halved. There is also an on/off lever on the right next to the hydraulic control lever. The B1550's was down by the operators right foot. The tractor is in and I am going to go look at it tomorrow.

It's not a zero-turn mower but for me it's close enough.

Good luck,

KDL

P.S.
It didn't leave any tire marks on the lawn under hard cornering the only tracks were that of the mower deck and we had had rain earlier that day.

/ Tractor or Zero-Turn? #7  
Does the 2410 have a tight-enough turning radius to get around all my pine trees while in 2 wheel drive? If not, then I will have to engage the 4 wheel drive in order to use the bi-speed function, right? Will it tear up my lawn mowing in 4 wheel drive?

/ Tractor or Zero-Turn? #8  
KDL, I assume you are using a mid mount mower with your new 2410. What size is the mower? Since you have to mow in 4 wheel drive in order to use the bi-speed turn, are you getting the same quality of cut that you would get if you used 2 wheel drive? The reason I am asking this is that I have read some posts about the "bucking" that occurs while tight-turning in 4 wheel drive. I am also concerned about the possible long-term wear and tear this may put on the tractors 4 wheel drive system to be engaged for such long periods every time I mow. Are Kubotas built to run 75-80% of the time in 4 wheel drive. Sounds like this option is what I need to get around all my trees and shrubs if it doesnt tear my lawn and wont tear up my tractor.

/ Tractor or Zero-Turn? #9  
Sorry KDH, I didnt see your "p.s" that the bi-speed didnt leave any tracks other than the mower. Guess I didnt scroll far enough.

/ Tractor or Zero-Turn? #10  
I had a chance to compare my B2410 today with several other tractors. A BX2200, B2410 non Bi-speed and a B2710. I ordered mine with bar-turf tires (I thought a good compromise between Ags and turf tires), 60" deck grass catcher and 6" rear blade. I failed to take my tape measure so all measurments are estimates (size 10 shoe). The comparison was on concrete not grass.

Aproximate turning radius of inside wheel

B2410 Bi-speed on in 4WD - 4 feet ( 4 X size 10 shoe)

B2410 Bi-speed off in 4WD - 7 1/2 feet
/B2410 non Bi-speed 4WD

B2410 Bi-speed off 2WD - 6 feet
/B2410 non Bi-speed

B2710 2WD - 6 1/2 feet

BX2200 in 2WD - 7 1/2 feet

BX2200 in 4WD - 8 1/2 feet

With a 60" deck it looked like it would trim about 2-2 1/2 feet.

When I go back to pay for it tomorrow (also forgot my checkbook, first real tractor so I am very excited) I will try to remember my tape measure for a more accurate measurement.

Longevity was also one of my concerns when I was considering a tractor. The fellow with the B1550 Bi-speed turn has had no problems with his tractor. He bought it new about 10-11 years ago has over 600 hours on it and only turns off the Bi-speed when driving between his house, his mothers house and some rental property. He said he mows about 6-8 acres per week tills a small garden with a 42" tiller and uses it for snow removal in winter.

KDL