Tractor Sizing garden tractor size backhoes

/ garden tractor size backhoes #1  

Anonymous Poster

Recently I bought a small property on a hillside (200 x 100 feet). The land is sloped and presents problems with drainage. I would like to create landscaping over several years that includes berms, ditches, ponds, french drains, rock gardens retaining walls etc. It is a retirement home so I wish to do a lot of the work myself.

I am thinking of buying a koboto or similar 20 hp (+ or -) lawn tractor with hydraulics and a small backhoe attachment. They are not cheap, but I figure on using the machine regularly over the next 3 or 4 years to tailor my property bit by bit. My reasoning is that it would be more productive and ultimately cheaper in the long run to buy rather than go throught multiple rental sessions over time.

Any thoughts yea or nay would be appreciated.

Specifically does anyone have knowledge of the small backhoes and do they really get the job done? Or are they too small and light?

/ garden tractor size backhoes
I have a Kelley B600 on a YM1702d(21hp). It does a good job. I rent it out & have never had a complaint. I'm giving a 20% discount on Kelley loaders & backhoes. sheaftractor@coiinc.com

/ garden tractor size backhoes #3  
In 1994 I bought a 1979 B7100DT with backhoe and fel. I believe it was 17 or 18 hp. It was pretty well "ragged out" when I bought it from a plumber/contractor, but it was the only one I could find for the money I could afford. I ran that tractor almost every day and did a lot of repairs and daily maintance in order to keep it running. I traded it in on a B21 Backhoe/fel last november.

I would think that a tractor simular in size would do the work you have outlined, if you are not in a hurry Its really amazing
what these little tractors can do when they are the only thing you have to work with. One thing you should know though, backhoes are not good a digging through rock and many times I'd have to break large rocks with a tanker bar before digging them out. With a little tractor like this there is just not much power. My B21 only has 21 hp, but is a much larger tractor and haven't found a rock yet it can't handle, but I still have the Tanker Bar. I don't think they make the 7100 anymore, The 7400 looks like about the same size. Its a good little tractor, that can probably do more than operate a backhoe Hope this helps..

Rick

/ garden tractor size backhoes #4  
I heard some noise somewhere (probably here, since now I get practically ALL of my tractor info from TBN) that Kubota was coming out with a specially designed little hoe for the BX series. Sounds like it would be perfect for your needs. Maybe Steve Carver could fill us in...

PaulT

/ garden tractor size backhoes #5  
Hi Paul,
I really do wish I could say YES....
but I have not heard one wisper about a bx hoe being introduced by the mfg.

I'll kinda be surprised if they do -- but I've am surprised often.

We'll just have to wait and see.
Thanks and come sse us when you can.
Steve
The photo attached makes a fine screen saver

Attachments

• 1-44762-InstinctforQuality.jpg
    1-44762-InstinctforQuality.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 112
   / garden tractor size backhoes #6  
I too have vacation/retirement property. I recently purchased a 7500 hsd (21 HP) with a loader and backhoe. I am impressed with what this machine can do!!! Ive dug stumps,trenches and moved a ton or four of rocks. Mind you this is not a full sized machine! a little patientce goes a long way,and if you let the machine work at it's own capability,it will do almost everything you need to do. I should have bought this machine 15 years ago. I don,t know how I got along with out it.

Good luck

Mr. Lent Hill

/ garden tractor size backhoes #7  
Craig, or King, or Lent (which would you prefer /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif),

I see you have a backhoe on your 'bota. Which one did you get? (Kubota, Woods, etc. and which model)

The GlueGuy

/ garden tractor size backhoes
I have a B7500 HST too and was considering a backhoe, due to the large amount of work that
I think will need to be done. Does the backhoe work well for you? What was your cost for the
back hoe?

/ garden tractor size backhoes #9  
I see I will have to change my "signature" in the future.

I have a kubota model B4676 on the tractor. In upstate NY I paid about $5000 for it new (included in the deal). It was worth the money, It wont hog out 100 foot trees but if you work at it it will get the stumps out.

Mr. Lent Hill

/ garden tractor size backhoes #10  
Craig,
Where are you in NY? We might be close to each other. I have an antique shop in Victor, NY.

18-30445-von.gif