I now understand how naive I am

/ I now understand how naive I am #1  

aardvark

Gold Member
I took delivery of my BX23 this afternoon. Have about 1.9 hours on it now, WOOHOO! Anywway, I really overthought the decision to buy this machine. This machine is a mini tank. It's more capable than I had expected the B7610 to be, and much more capable than I had expected the BX23 to be. I bet the B7610 would have really been a much larger reality shock. I guess I really under estimated tractors in general.

Anyway, I spent most of the day building and installing plywood storm shutters. During the small amount of time I did spend on the tractor I had a slight scare. I was driving along with the mower deck running to try it out, and it started making some really wierd noise. So I stopped and the noise stopped. Then I went again, and the noise started again. This got me a little frustrated, because after all, I had only owned the tractor for about 20 minutes. So then I shut off the deck and put it in neutral and climbed off, scratched my head, looked around in the sides, etc. Nothing, so I figured I'd better take it back to the garage and decide what to do. So I put it in high and hit the forward pedal. The very large Avacado tree branch that came crashing down next to me nearly made me jump off the tractor, however, the wierd noise did go away, so I was pretty relieved. I guess I need to look up next time, instead of just around. I hope this happens to everyone, so I can say I'm not alone. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I also found it pretty easy to push over a 6" diameter junk tree with the loader (don't know what tree species), but it came right out of the sand no problem. I don't want to remove anything else until the hurricane passes my area, as I would like to minimize flying debris.

So today, the BX23 took out a small tree, took out a large branch, loader bucket was used as a portable workbench, crushed some shubbery and bouginvilla (spelling?) so I could gain access to some windows, mowed a little bit of lawn, moved some piles of dirt and brush I had piled during the time I was clearing the lot by hand, and I guess that's it. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow if I have a chance, but I've been pretty busy geting ready for the hurricane.

/ I now understand how naive I am #2  
Congratulations, and good luck with your new tractor and also riding out the hurricane if it comes your way. We pretty much got away from them when we moved up here, but now we got tornadoes to worry about. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ I now understand how naive I am #3  
I usually advocate ''bigger is better'' and try to steer potential buyers toward utility tractors rather than CUT but in your case on 2 acres I think you made the right choice, this is a versatile little machine and one heck of a lawn mower.
Enjoy your new purchase /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ I now understand how naive I am #4  
Funny. As a new B7610 owner, I simply revel at what this does (and more importantly how it feels) compared to my old lawn tractor. Thick tall grass doesn't even phase it. Does kick out "clumps" of grass like the old lawn tractor did. Small sticks don't sound like you mowed over a gravel bank. You simply hear nothing out of the ordinary.

As I was also considering the BX2230. At the time of purchase, I was concerned that the BX would be "too small". Looking back at it now, I'm totally sure the BX would have been WELL capable of doing what I need to do. With the similar tank-ness of my B.
In the field, the B feels like it's at home. Bumps in the field are no problem, traction is 500% better, even in 2wd. Around the house though, it seems a little big. Though I'm sure I'll get used to it. No where near as awkward as I thought it'd be.

These machines are in a completely different league then the garden tractors at HD & Sears. Like THAT'S a new Flash! But seriously, you have to experience it to believe it. These are well built machines.

Congrats on your purchase. Hope you are as happy as I am. (or even 1/2 as happy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

/ I now understand how naive I am #5  
I envision the scene from Wizard of OZ (ok, that was a tornado, but go with it) where the witch is riding the bicycle in the tornado.

I see the house lifting off the ground and aardvark driving by in his BX23 waving his hat and not the least bit worried.

Cliff

/ I now understand how naive I am #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
I envision the scene from Wizard of OZ (ok, that was a tornado, but go with it) where the witch is riding the bicycle in the tornado.

I see the house lifting off the ground and aardvark driving by in his BX23 waving his hat and not the least bit worried. )</font>

"I'll get you, and your little dog too!" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ I now understand how naive I am #7  
Aaaaaahhh ...... The soothing hallucinogenic powers of tractor ownership ........ There's no place like home ... There's no place like home ........

/ I now understand how naive I am #8  
I have 20 acres and there ain't nothin' that my BX23 hasn't been able to do. Diggin' up stumps, mowin' high grass, liftin' stone etc. I'm sure there will come a time but I think those will be far and few between.
I'm very happy with it and I'm sure you will be as well.
Lots of luck and fun and may the orange god be with you!!!!
In a year or so we should have a BX23 convention or a CUT get together.

/ I now understand how naive I am
The BX get together would be interesting. Something I'd definately consider.

Today I put another 1.5 hours on the BX23 though hurricane preparation. Pushed my old race car chassis into the garage, moved some dirt piles into a more protected area of my yard, moved plywood to places I needed it, and found the septic system cover with a front tire. Put a piece of plywood over the septic system hole and covered the plywood with about 2' of dirt so it doesn't blow away. I guess I need to get a new cover and mark it's location, as it was never marked before.

Oh, and I'd like to thank the fellow who posted that when you get the ROPS jammed in the garage door opening really good, letting the air out of the tires is a good way to unstick it. I don't remember who it was, but if we ever meet, I'll buy you lunch.

/ I now understand how naive I am #10  
Sounds like your Bota has met Mr. Garage Door Opening by accident. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif As for the septic cover being broken, it was broken before the tire found it in all probability. The BX23 isn't heavy enough to have damaged the original cover. If you can't find a replacement, post or send me a PM and I will explain how to make a replacement. Enjoy your tractor and make sure that you and the tractor are out of harms way. Junk.......