BX Turning Radius

/ BX Turning Radius #1  

TresCrows

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200, Kubota B2410
I want to correct a misconception I may have caused in conjunction with the BX spec sheet--it lists the turn radius of the BX as 7.5 feet or 90 inches. Let's get this straight, that is to the outside of the 60 inch deck when the BX is turned as tightly as it will go or nearly so. The inside radius of uncut grass is about 20 inches and to your mulched areas about 18 inches to the inside of the turn. The mower deck is about 72 inches wide plus the 18 inches to the inside is --guess what--90 inches or the 7.5 feet on the brochure. I have a nice little LT that can barely do better than that on the inside but of course it's outside radius is much smaller since it only has a 48 inch deck. It has an inside uncut radius of about 15 inches (30 inch diameter--uncut). The BX is extremely manuverable for such a large machine--more so than many GT's that are not as large. Looking right here in a JD brochure, the trim radius for the JD455 is 26 inches with 2 wheel steering and with all wheel steering it is 13 inches, the JD 235 is 20 inches radius, the Sabre is 20 inches radius also--approximately the same as the larger BX (about 20 inches--maybe a touch more), the all wheel steering JD of course can turn much tighter. Most brochures from most all companies list the "trim radius" to the inside--except Kubota that gives outside obstacle clearance radius--which would be the 7.5 feet. If your not confused now--remember--diameter of a circle equals 2 X Radius, circumference is distance around the specified circle (pies are Square etc). A BX has about a 20 inch trim radius, a 80ish inch cut radius, an 18 inch clearance to the inside and about 90 inches to the outside of the deck. All numbers approximate but fairly close. Nope--the Amazing BX can actually out turn many smaller tractors--it really can. J

/ BX Turning Radius #2  
Tres,

Take a look when you're turning the tight turn, bet the "outside" of your machine is not the deck, I bet it might just be the outside of the front tires... Of course the B7500 can do 6.6' radius (79" outside) dragging the inside tire. Works for me, but I wouldn't want to do it on a "lawn". /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

The GlueGuy

/ BX Turning Radius #3  
Turning radius was one of my concerns when I was shopping. I too was confused at first by how Kubota specs the BX, but as soon as I tried one at the dealer I figured it out. I'm real happy with how the BX gets around. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm sure it will help a few folks.

Dave

/ BX Turning Radius
Thanks for the tip Glueguy, I tried to check it out but the wind was blowing my grass flat to the ground today. I think you may be right about the front wheels being the outside point when I turn to the left but to the right it appears the chute sticks out beyond the front wheels in a turn. The BX is very short in the front. Concerning all the numbers in my post above--I may have confused my memeory somewhat but regardless of if it is 20 inches or 30 inches or whatever on the trim radius/turn radius the point I was making is that most manufactuers are measuring differently for this from the way Kubota has specified for the BX. The lady-techno tractor mom-- mentioned that her Cub had a 26 inch or something turn radius and that the BX was 90 inches and I just wanted to make the point those measurements are not being taken the same way. I am sure the smaller Cub will turn in tighter than the BX but not that much tighter. Y'all take care. J