kubota 7610/7510 or BX 23

/ kubota 7610/7510 or BX 23 #1  

ekylaw

I have about 10 acres of land, hillside, ditches, and stream. about two are fenced, and I am looking at purchasing another 10 next to mine. The land is rough, hilly, rocky and very well forested. I am looking to not only maintain my land, but create and a garden, pond, and place for livestock.

What type tractor would be best. I don't want to buy any bigger than I need, but want to have the most useful, and cost effective as well.

Thanks

/ kubota 7610/7510 or BX 23 #2  
The SMALLEST tractor I would buy would be a 24hp small frame CUT. For Kubota that would be either a B2410 (their deluxe model) or the B7610 (their economy version). Given that you want to stay with a fairly small tractor, the size I would prefer, is their mid-frame unit with 30hp. They have 2 good choices, the B2910 (deluxe version) or the lower priced/lower featured version, the B7800.

I would very quickly gravitate to the 30hp units simply because you are starting out with 10 and looking to end up with 20. 10 acres is a nice size property to have to maintain, 20 is big to maintain with a small tractor. And even a 30hp tractor is not too much for 20 acres, I'm sure you'd find a lot of people who would suggest going up to the 40hp range.

You said you want "useful and cost effective" . . . seriously consider moving up in size. I think you would seriously regret a BX very quickly, and probably regret a 24hp tractor the moment you get that extra 10 acres, but you might regret it long before that.

I think what you really need to do is lay out your tasks, then rank them by importance.

If you are going to mow about 25% of that property (5 acres of the 20 total) then you want a MINIMUM of a 60" finish mower, that will require a 24hp tractor. But a 72" mower might shorten that task considerably, which would have you go up to a 30hp tractor.

You want to build landscaping, and you say you have rocks, so you NEED a front end loader. Consider how little the BX or the 302 loaders will handle and that will quickly move you to the 352 loader on the 24hp tractors, and probably will push you up to the 402 loader on the 30hp tractors.

One of the nicest things about the B2910/B7800 Kubotas is that they are small 30 hp tractors. They fit in the woods much better than larger frame 30 hp tractors, and since you say you have woods I thought I would point that out. I use Kubota & New Holland tractors and while I prefer to use a NH TC24 in the woods over the B2910, I will readily admit that the B2910 is still a small machine and will fit into places that the larger 30hp machines simply will not go. The other nice thing about the B2910 is that it is a light weight machine which makes it great for mowing if you have clay soils as it will leave far fewer ruts in your yard. If you have sandy soils you can operate a heavier tractor without rutting, but on clay light tractors are a real advantage. At 4 years old, the B2910 has never been in the shop, so from the value standpoint, I certainly can't complain! A B7800 is less expensive, but has fewer features, you can decide for yourself if those features are worthy of consideration for your uses.

By the way, please fill out some of your profile!!! If we know roughly where you are, what climate conditions you have, what your soil conditions are like, etc. then it will be much easier for people to provide you with more specific recommendations, and in some cases you might even find someone close to you that can recommend a dealer, or even let you try out a tractor.

/ kubota 7610/7510 or BX 23 #3  
Welcome to TBN

And I agree completely with Bob Skurka. I had a B7100 on my 10 acres and liked it, but when I traded up to the B2710, I liked that a lot better.

The only thing I'd add is that you can create a pond with a small tractor, but you probably won't like the job much. You'll be a lot better off renting a dozer for that job, or even better, hiring an experienced dozer operator.

/ kubota 7610/7510 or BX 23 #4  
Just to add to what Bob and Bird said...and maybe amplify a bit...

If you get to the point of considering a B2910...then take a good look at the L series like the L3130 (which costs just a little more than the B2910) or the 3430.

10 acres to start with and maybe 10 more later...if it were me that would scream L series.

Now keep in mind that I have a B2910 on 3.7 acres and don't regret it at all.

I think a general rule of thumb for tractors is the larger you go the more you get for each dollar spent.

My experience is that on top of that, the more you use whatever you buy, the smaller it will seem. So if you buy BIGGER than you imagine you will ever need...it sort of shrinks with time and you find it is really perfect in the long run... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In my case I wrote the B2910 off in the beginning as too big for my needs, and settled on a B2410. But on a whim after seeing the cost difference, I went for it. Glad I did...to say the least... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ kubota 7610/7510 or BX 23 #5  
I agree with the others. Being a former B2410 owner and now owning a BX23, if I had 10 acres or more I would go with the larger tractor. Tne BX23 is nice for a small property (I have only 2 acres) but I already miss the faster, larger, and more powerful FEL of the B2410. The B2410 ride was less bumpy than the BX23 and the HST pedal easier to depress (less resistance) and more comfortable. I would go with the B2910 or 7800. These would allow a bigger and more powerful backhoe than the BX23. I like the idea of a separate seat for the backhoe. It is sometimes a big inconvenience twisting the seat on the BX23 every time you move the tractor. For 20 acres I would even consider a L series tractor.

/ kubota 7610/7510 or BX 23 #6  
I have a BX23 on two acres, and I think the BX23 is sized well for my property. However, if I had 10 acres, I'd want something much larger. Like an L series, or NH or JD equivalent, or bigger. A machine which could run a large mower, pull a large landscape rake or box blade. Probably something like what my dad has in upstate NY, a 60-ish hp Case farm tractor, with a loader that will lift a small car. Equip that with a backhoe that digs like 18 feet deep. Maybe buy a large used machine for the tough jobs and and then a smaller machine for easy/light tasks (???). For example, my dad has the large Case for hard work, and an old 8N for running a finish mower and some other stuff.

I like my BX23 and realize it's limitations, it wouldn't be the right machine for a 10 acre lot.

/ kubota 7610/7510 or BX 23 #7  
Take a serious look at the L3400 - the additional weight would be a big advantage. It's really not that much bigger dimensionally.

/ kubota 7610/7510 or BX 23 #8  
Hi Benny, What people may not realize that 10 acres in Eastern KY may not be the same 10 acres somewhere else. Example, I have 33 acres, and you would be lucky to walk on most of it much less ride a tractor. If you have ever been to the Smokies you'll know what I mean. That said I bought a L 3830 and glad I did. I have only 4 or 5 acres give or take that are flat, the rest are a mountain. Living on a hill however gives me over 1200 ft. of drive to maintain more than 2500 ft. of ditches to upkeep not to mention the bush hogging and the landslides occasionally that I have to move several tons of dirt. Taking that into consideration I would definitely look at the 7610 or bigger. Like Bob said, that bigger Fel sure would be nice when you have to move those big rocks. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ kubota 7610/7510 or BX 23 #9  
ekylaw -

I have a B7610 - and while I love it for my needs (11 ac - 2 or 3 to mow) - if you are going to purchase 10 more - then I think Bob, Henro & the rest's advice is sound: go bigger.

I'd say the BX23 should be excluded simply because of the lower ground clearance - not so good if you're "in the woods" - gotta look out for stumps, rocks etc.

While I don't have one, you''ll probably want to get a backhoe for maintaining those ditches and it's almost a requirement if you're going to be digging out lots of rocks & stumps.

While I needed to mostly replace a mower - and gain some extra muscle to move stuff - maybe another route would be a dedicated tractor-loader-backhoe + a separate riding mower? I've read this works well for some other folks here.

Good luck & welcome to TBN!

Cheers,

Dan

/ kubota 7610/7510 or BX 23
Thanks for the reply. My property is mostly hill, I only have about 2 acres to really work on that is flat, and if I pick up the other 10 I may have another 2 of flat. I am thinking of making some trails in the woods, and such with this tractor, daming up the stream for a pond to feed my animals, and make easy access to the garden.