Traded BX in for B7610

/ Traded BX in for B7610 #1  

Killer_B

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
After lurking (and learning) for some time, I decided to purchase a BX2200 with turf tires, FEL, 60” MMM and BX2750 front snow blower. This was back in August of 2003. I later added a 48” box blade and 48” KK rough cutter and bar tires. After about one year and 140 hours of use, I traded it in for a B7610, also with 60” MMM and LA352 FEL. I kept the blower for mounting on the new tractor. A new subframe is all that will be needed. The box blade and rough cutter fit nicely on the B as well. As of this writing I have about 35 hrs. on the 7610. Perhaps my perspective on these two models will be helpful to someone trying to decide between the two.

BX2200 Dislikes:

1. The infamous sticky hydro pedal. I tried every suggestion on this board to no effect. During the attempt, I noticed one thing that I did not see mentioned before; while the engine was off, the pedal would snap back to neutral. It was only while the engine was running that it would “slow down.” That suggested to me that it was something deep in the bowels of the beast. It bugged me every time I ran the tractor.

2. The FEL would not pull up through a pile of dirt with a full bucket. I would have to curl the bucket and back out every time to get it to lift. This is not to say that it would not carry a full bucket- it would. In fact I carried overflowing buckets of dirt, sand, rocks and even large chunks of broken concrete. I found this inability to pull through a pile to be an annoyance, not an actual hindrance.

3. Ground Clearance. I originally did not plan to venture out much beyond my one acre of landscaped yard. I have since decided to tame the other four acres. The small wheels and low ground clearance made for a real bumpy ride, and constant concern about bashing things underneath. Nothing was ever actually hurt on the underside, but I came uncomfortably close a time or two.

BX2200 Likes:

1. Finish mowing ability. The BX left a very clean and even cut, with no tire scuffing ever. I would spin around my trees at full steering lock without having to back up, and never worried about leaving tire marks, even with bar tires. The 7610 with R4’s will cut into the lawn if I use the same track around a tree over and over. I knew this would be the case when I made the trade.

2. Low CG. I could vary my mowing pattern across hills without fear of rolling over. I don’t have that same peaceful, easy feeling with the 7610. Again, I also knew this going into it.

3. Snow Blowing ability. With the BX2750 front blower I could clear my 300’ drive of 16” of new snow in about 15 minutes. The BX does this completely effortlessly, throwing big plumes of snow about 30’. I ended up bailing out my neighbors with similar size driveways a number of times. Snow removal was easily the most fun I had with the tractor.

4. Power. 22HP is probably overkill for this size unit, which makes it just right.

B7610 Likes:

1. The higher ground clearance and larger diameter wheels allow it to easily venture out into the rough areas on my property for brush hogging, tilling etc.

2. The increased loader capacity allows it to pull through a pile most of the time, but not always.

3. More leg room. I’m 6’1”.

4. Power steering and loader are on different pumps. The steering wheel doesn’t jerk if I decide to lift the loader and turn the week at the same time.

5. It’s a handsome brute. To my eye, it seems to have all the right proportions, and the right color.

B7610 Dislikes:

1. Scuffing of the yard while mowing. I have somewhat of a trophy lawn and don’t like seeing it torn up. I guess this is just the price of progress.

2. Slightly jerky hydro. I have read about this before and am not surprised by it. Let me explain: While motoring along with a steady foot on the pedal I will sense a surge forward. I feel it in the seat of my pants and hear it in the tone of the hydro and the engine. It is as though the pedal were suddenly depressed another ¼”. It is most noticeable in high range. It has absolutely no effect on the usability of the unit. But it irritates me a bit, kind of like the rattley dash board on my old Dodge Duster.

3. The exhaust pipe. It exits out the left side directly onto the handle that secures the front MMM bracket. It soots up everything, including my hand. It should be turned out a bit.

4. It is more difficult to mount and dismount the MMM than the BX. With the BX I just unhooked everything and slid it out. With the B, I need to have the loader on so that I can get the front tires up off the ground.

Neutral Observations:

1. I never had any problem with the 3PH on the BX. I expected to, but it worked just fine with the implements I used.

2. The Pat’s Easy Change system worked great on the BX. I don’t like it on the B. The reason is that the added length makes the implements stick too far out the back for my liking. Anyone looking for a set second hand?

3. The mower storage axels/wheels that allow you to store the MMM deck upright also work great. They don’t fit my new deck. Anyone looking for these?

As I review the above I must admit to being a real nit-picker. The truth is, both machines are darn near perfect, and I only have nits to pick. In the final analysis, I would have to give the BX 4 ½ stars out of 5. It did everything it was advertised to do with aplomb. Quite honestly, it would have done everything I want to do, had I just used a little extra caution and a kidney belt in the rough areas.

But in the end, the BX just didn’t scratch the tractor itch for me. I wanted something a little farther removed from a garden tractor. I never would have known that had I not taken the BX for a 12 month test drive. Photos of both tractors are posted at http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=15134 if you would like to see them.

God bless.

Photos

/ Traded BX in for B7610 #2  
It's always important to have the machine that best suits your needs. If the new B machine does it for you, than the trade was a good one.

One point, however, about what you say regarding the FEL. For both a FEL and a BH, bucket curl ALWAY has considerably more "power" than lifting the whole shmegeggie when engaged with Mother Earth. Effective use of these attachments almost always requires you to "learn the motions" that efficiently scoop up material prior to lifting it and that includes using bucket curl for better leverage on the material you are going to lift/move. Even the largest machines have to do this when trying to work at or near capacity...and the smallest ones, too. Watch a pro operator sometime and you'll see that curl a lot!

/ Traded BX in for B7610 #3  
The sticky foot pedal is a bearing (cradle) in the transmission, Kubota knows of it, they have a service article on it, and my dealer had to get it from Kubota on the second time around to get it fixed.

The other things were most likely that your needs were more than the 23 could do. Hope you got a great deal on the trade..

/ Traded BX in for B7610 #4  
I have both a BX2200 and a B2410 (at different locations). I can't say I disagree with any of your observations. The BX mows about an acre and keeps my yard snow-free in the winter (Neighbors that drive by in the winter comment on how I must need both the snowblower and mower in the winter, with so much grass showing!!)
The 2410 does not mow- mostly it maintains about a half mile of "camp" road and does all the heavy lifting chores in the summer. It would take alot more effort to snowblow and drag that road with the BX- so the 2410 is a better choice when tasks get tougher.
Have you moved your rear tires out on the axle?? When I first got the 2410 I found it to be very tippy. After moving the rear wheels out one or two notches (I can't remember how many), the stability improved greatly

/ Traded BX in for B7610 #5  
This is a very useful post. Thank you for taking the time to do this analysis and post it. I'm sure it will help those who are trying to decide between the two sizes (even in other brands). Good thoughtful analysis like this is what TBN is all about.

A question. What are you doing with the other acreage to "tame" it? Sounds like you plan some serious tractor time.

Cliff

/ Traded BX in for B7610 #6  
Killer Bee, Do you still want to get rid of your "Pat's easy change system"? If so e-mail me and give me the details. I have a B7500 HST and I've been thinking of getting one. I just want to make sure it will fit. My e-mail is tundrausa@hotmail.com Thanks, Donny

/ Traded BX in for B7610 #7  
Welcome to the forum! Very good post, lots of good info.

I would be interested in picking up your mower storage wheels. I have a BX2230 with a 60" MMM that I would like to stand upright this winter.

Send me a personal message with a price and we'll see if we can make a deal. I live in Howell, MI so shipping would be cheap. I also travel the whole state, so might be able to pick them up from you depending on where your at. I am in Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids on a regular basis.

Enjoy the Tractor!

/ Traded BX in for B7610 #8  
Thanks for the comparison. Many people will benefit from your post when deciding on a machine.

It's funny you mentioned your tractor itch. My BX 23 is more than adequate for 95% of what I need to do. The rest I will rent. That said my wife has caught me saying "when we get a bigger tractor" and she has responded "maybe in 10 years.

This might sound crazy but I find myself wanting a bigger piece of property so I can get a bigger tractor (and keep the BX too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Good thing I never tried drugs. Some times my wife thinks I'm becoming a tractor Junkie. Although the idea of more land has got her thinking too.

/ Traded BX in for B7610
Hi Cliff,

The other four acres is rolling weeds. I think is was plowed at sometime in the distant past, but never leveled. So its real rutty. What I plan to do is till it and seed it. I already did about an acre this fall. I'll do the rest as the mood strikes and time allows.

Killer B(7610)

/ Traded BX in for B7610
"My BX 23 is more than adequate for 95% of what I need to do."

Same here Briguy. I doubt that I'll do anything with the B that couldn't have been done with the BX. It's more a question of HOW it does it. Example: I'm still using the same size rough cutter, but now mowing the rough is a smoother operation. Also, the B does not require the loader on to provide ballast for the 48" cutter. The BX would run the cutter just fine, but the front end got real light if I didn't keep the loader on.

I must admit that this (trade in) was not a purely logical decision. I went in to the dealer for a tiller (the same one that I now run on the B) and ended up coming home with the whole new package.

I always enjoyed using the BX, sticky hodro and other nit-picks notwithstanding. But I like running the B even more. So it's probably more of an enjoyment issue than a capability issue.

Perhaps this is a new topic worthy of discussion? How much are you willing to pay for the fun factor? What's more important, the enjoyment or the capability of a particular machine? In what ratios?

Killer B(7610)