Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Administrator
    Tractor
    None currently

Default Re: yet another "what should I get?"

I don't know about running a flail over that - you might do more harm to your equipment than good to your property. The lot next to mine was logged last spring... they sure tore it up nicely and left a lot of tops around on the ground. The land was not suitable to run any type of flail over.

Ideally, if you have a bunch of stuff to chip, renting a chipper for a few weekends to get that job done might be a good idea. You could use your tractor to get it all 'ready to chip' for sure.

As for the tractor, I was the one telling another user to 'buy smaller' (but he was on 3/4 of one acre and bought a B2910 [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]) but this time I will say, look at the L3010 if you don't plan to use it for lawn care (mowing).

See if your dealer is willing to take a tractor or two out to your property for you to 'test it out' where you will be using it. This seems to be a common favor some dealers are willing to do when you are serious about buying. Then, you can compare say, the B2910 and L3010 side by side a little better. But, it is up to your dealer - the other option is to rent one (of each, if available) for a day. Dealers with a rental division will in all likelihood be more willing to do this than one without. But, as some current owners would tell you, once that tractor gets to your property, it is going to be tough to let it go.

Administrator
    Tractor
    None currently

No kidding? I think it's time to start the official 'TractorByNet.com Audi Owners Club' - which model?

Veteran Member
    Advertiser

Tractor
    Kubota B2710

While the Audi is a nice automobile, It's no Porsche! Just my two cents worth!

From someone who has owned both!

Tractor
    Kubota B1700 HST

...and neither one compares to the almighty SUBURBAN!!!![img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Administrator
    Tractor
    None currently

[img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img] - that's all!

Administrator
    Tractor
    None currently

Yeah, true, if you feel the need to drive 189mph and spend $111,000 on a car! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Porsches are nice, but it's hard to haul the family around in. I've got an A6 wagon and a TT. I have to admit, I was tempted by a Boxster, but they are as common as Civics around here (sillycon valley).

-steve

Administrator
    Tractor
    None currently

<font color=blue>sillycon valley</font color=blue>

Good one! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>...and a TT</font color=blue>

Ok, does the kubota get the garage space, or the TT? Let's see if you pass the test! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img] Well, you're already picking Audi and Kubota, so you pass anyway!

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2008 Kubota BX 1850

PaulB,

Or a GMC Sierra, extended cab, Z-71! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif[/img]

JimBinMI

The world without Blue would be too Orange!

Tractor
    Kubota B2910 w/FEL, Ford 8N, Bush Hog, rototiller, Woods 7 ft. Blade

Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you'd like to do with your property but I would like to offer a few suggestions. Even though your property was thinned out three years ago, you need to get yourself a reputable forester (private, county or state) to walk your property with you for the purpose of developing a plan for your property. Be it timber management, recreation or wildlife habitate you need to have a professional help you develop a real gameplan. A forester from the counry or state will give you advise at no cost, a private forester will charge you a nominal amount. Once you have a formal plan you'll have a much better idea what to do with your property and then what kind and size of equipment to talk care of it. Don't worry about the slash. Unless you want your woodland property to look like a park, good old mother nature will take about seven years after a timber harvest to rot most of the slash. In the meantime, wildlife love it. If you really want to clean up the worst of the slash and maybe fix up the logging roads so that you can use them for recreation (crown, ditch and water bar) bring in a professional with a bulldozer. You'd be amazed at what a skilled profressional can do with a dozer in a day. I also have 40 acres, about 30 in woods. Two winters ago
    with the help of a forester, I had a timber harvest. It looked like a bomb had been dropped when they finished since it was not economically feasible to chip the tops. Last summer I brought in a dozer (also working with the forester) to clean up and develop a system of recreational roads out of the logging roads. After 4 days at $500/day, the worst of the slash was gone and I had roads good enough to drive a car on. We now hike, snowmobile, ski and thoroughly enjoy the entire woodlot. I use my tractor (an old Ford 8N to maintain the new roads (keep them crowned and ditched) and mow an 8 acre meadow. I'm also looking at buying a compact tractor to replace my 8N. I hope this helps. Good luch from a fellow land owner from the mountains of Vermont.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast