yet another "what should I get?"

/ yet another "what should I get?" #21  
Re: yet another \"what should I get?\"

Here is something to do before you start divide your property up on a piece of paper and think about what you would like to do with the different areas. Now with that done you know a space for the pond is already dictated by the spring and the house and the lawn.
One good thing to do is have a trail around the property and a couple of trails going across the property. Now you will have some long term access roads and if its logged again in the future draw up in the contract that the skidders must stay on these trails. For present use you will be able to access the tops to clean the property up. If you get a tractor and with the trees down for three years they will break up when you try to push them the tops that is that way you will take out alot of the small stuff.
I would chip some areas and leave some areas alone as for the pond I think thats a great idea and it will give you fill dirt for other areas of the property if needed or to use on some of the trails.
These are just a couple of ideas there a many different ways to go. I just bought a property that was hi-grade logged before I purchased it so I also have to deal with getting rid of some of the trash that was left growing.
It will help you to divide it up on paper and then you can figure out your long term goals for the property.
Good luck
Gordon

/ yet another "what should I get?" #22  

Great advice!!!!!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Gordon

/ yet another "what should I get?"

Gordon and dwarren,

Thanks so much for the kind advice! Man, I wish all boards were as friendly as this one. You've definitely given me some much needed direction. Thanks again!

-steve

/ yet another "what should I get?" #24  

sjvalin, on shreading all that wood...didn't you say you were going to get horses? Not a good idea to have lots of long splinters for the horses to step on. I had to put my horse down about two years ago when he got a good size splinter in his coffin bone and nevicular sack (Paul, you need to help me with the spelling). These are areas in his "foot". Wrong Way (horse had no sense of direction; we once spent a day and a half lost in the Tennessee woods with the Red Head convinced I was dead, thus the name) was a hell of a horse and to put him down because of a frickin' splinter, well, enough said on that.

/ yet another "what should I get?" #25  

PaulB, a report just for you and your Surburban. There was a report yesterday that the new big Ford type Surburban isn't selling. They are cutting production by 25% and offering lots of great deals. However, Surburban (a Scandinavian word meaning 'That which is twice as large as a VW microbus but even slower on hills) sales are as strong as ever. Congratulations!

Is it true there is an Olimpic size pool in the rear of those beasts?

/ yet another "what should I get?" #26  

The nickname for the ford at work is a dumbvee looks alot like the Humvee, it eats gas and is ugly to boot. At least the Surburban has class and lots of it. Paul put a gearvendors (under-overdrive) in that thing and then you would be able to pull your horse trailer and Bills 5th wheel because his truck is broke anyway./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
My boss has one of the new fords--yuck--thats all I can say about it. Sorry all you Ford for guys but The Dodges and Chevys are the rulers of pulling the large loads.
Gordon

/ yet another "what should I get?" #27  

JimBinMI - I am speachless. After all the ribbing I have given you about you having that thing you have, and me having a tractor, come to find out that under our different color skin we are, dare I say it, bretheren!! You, the object of so many jokes, own a REAL truck. I feel just like The Grinch at the the end of The Grinch who stole Christmas. After being so mean to you I now see you in a different light, I now see you in a Kinder, Gentler atmosphere, I now see you as the Suzie Loo Hoo of the Compact tractor world. Embrace, fellow lover of the Chevrolet Small Block, and welcome to my Orange and Bowtie Hood Ornament world!!
Bill _ I read the same article, and was not surprised. Since 1936 Chevy has sold every Suburban they can make at 3 shifts around the clock, and wish they had more to sell. Just like Marvin Haggler - the Real Deal /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ yet another "what should I get?" #28  

bill - horrible story about your horse. In vet school we learned "the frog is the sole, the sole is the hoof, the hoof is the foot, and the foot is the horse". Last summer I was repairing a fence and dropped a 4 inch long nail into the pasture. I spent 4 hours until I found it, because NO WAY was I going to risk a hoof puncture.

/ yet another "what should I get?" #29  

Paul, we've done that very thing several times, especially after what happened to Wrong Way. Like your quote on the sole.

I'm heading off to Tennessee tomorrow morning pulling the 5th wheel. I was worried about the transmission noise that it is still making. My neighbor solved my woes. He has a Surburban. I am putting it in the bed of my truck and will use it as my dingy if I need to.

And that bit on Susie Lou Hoo, you crack me up with your analogies!

See y'all in a couple of days.

/ yet another "what should I get?" #30  

PaulB, how'd you finally find that nail? I bought a 4" magnet I drag around to find things like that, but wish I'd bought a bigger one.

Bird