Dealer Dealer recommendation - NorCal to Washington

/ Dealer recommendation - NorCal to Washington #1  

DaNag

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 3130HST w/LA723, HD bucket
Greetings folks, first post here.

I live in NorCal, but have 5 acres up in Washington. Bare land right now, but we will be building in the next year or so. Started my tractor research at this great site a few weeks ago, and based on my needs and reviews I've read here, a 3130HST w/723, R4's, rotary cutter (Bush Hog or Land Pride), and box scraper sounds like it will fit the bill.

Trouble is, as I've read here from others - NorCal prices are insane. My local dealer wants more for his harvest returns than most of you folks are paying for new. On the plus side, he spent a bunch of time with me and gave me much valuable info, runs what looks to be a first-class operation, and he struck me as a very honest guy. I'll definitley give him last shot at making a deal, but based on what I've read here, he'd have to come down at least $3K to be competitive - I'm not confident he'll do that.

Were my primary use of the tractor local, I'd do my best to work with him - I see the value in a good local dealer. However, my use of the tractor will be mostly in Washington, although I'll be towing it back and forth for a couple years until the home is built at which time it will stay up there. So...since I'm up and down I-5 8-10 times a year, it makes sense for me to look into other dealers.

I'd prefer northern OR or southern WA - those would be closest to my property, but I'll consider any dealer between NorCal and Southern WA. Any suggestions on a good dealer with fair prices?

Thanks,

Bill

/ Dealer recommendation - NorCal to Washington #2  
My local dealer, who I have bought two Kubota tractors from, and lots of implements etc. is a good one, but too far north for you I would think. There biggest plus is an A1 service dept, but they are in Olympia WA and hampered by a pretty hefty sales tax. I would think you would have better luck in Oregon, where there is no sales tax. Would save you 8.4% right off the top.

/ Dealer recommendation - NorCal to Washington
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...is a good one, but too far north for you I would think.
)</font>
Kubota's web site mentions J & I Power Equipment in Oly - are these the folks you have worked with? Olympia isn't bad - I'm over on the Olympic Penninsula, so I cut through there on the way.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
There biggest plus is an A1 service dept, but they are in Olympia WA and hampered by a pretty hefty sales tax. I would think you would have better luck in Oregon, where there is no sales tax. Would save you 8.4% right off the top.
)</font>
Yeah, I thought of this, but I'd like to take advantage of the 0% 24 month financing if I can get things together before that offer ends. From what I've read here, that could result in the CA tax collector giving me a ring, so I'm trying not to count on saving sales tax.

Still...I do have a good friend who lives in Oregon. Haven't given it much thought, but if he could store the tractor (with occasional usage privileges... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif), that may be a legal way of avoiding the tax man, and it would also reduce the distance I had to tow. I don't think I'd be required to pay sales tax if the tractor lived in Oregon most of the time, but it's something I'd need to check out - ain't gonna do anything illegal.

Bill

/ Dealer recommendation - NorCal to Washington #4  
Try Sound Tractor - they have a web site. I purchased my L3830 through them and was very happy. I am considering a smaller lawn mower type tractor and would use them again.

/ Dealer recommendation - NorCal to Washington #5  
I searched all over western Oregon for the best deal on my M9000. Bob at Mid Valley Kubota in Eugene Oregon gave me the best deal. I was really surprised when he priced it out to me. It took him a couple of days to get back to me but to my surprise he was 2K less than the next best dealer price. They are a low pressure but high volume dealer. When I got my tractor home my friend took a look at it went back to Bob and bought the same tractor. So they got two sales from giving such a good price.

Eric

/ Dealer recommendation - NorCal to Washington #6  
Try Naumes, one of the 2 Kubota dealers in Medford. A friend got a BX23TLB there for $14,900, which is a good price. BTY, no sales tax in Oregon as there is in CA and WA. Pay cash, because if you finance, Kubota will tell your state of residence that you have a loan and then the state (CA or WA) will charge you tax. If you pay cash (certified check, etc.) they do not inform the state. If you have the loan, the state can legally charge you the tax. If you pay cash while you are IN Oregon, then all the financial transaction is over and done with, then and there in that state. An Oregonian can buy a tractor in Oregon one day and move to CA the next and owe no tax. If you pay cash for the tractor in Oregon, and complete the payment there, you are not required to call the state of CA or WA and say, "Hey, I want to voluntarily contribute to your state treasury." I am pretty sure that this is not illegal. It's just one of those things where the laws are written in such a way that under one scenario you legally owe the tax and under the other you don't. If they wrote the laws that way, why not do it the way that benefits you?

/ Dealer recommendation - NorCal to Washington
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you pay cash for the tractor in Oregon, and complete the payment there, you are not required to call the state of CA or WA and say, "Hey, I want to voluntarily contribute to your state treasury.")</font>

Actually, in most cases you are required to do so. Being a CA resident, if I purchased in Oregon, then turned around and brought the tractor to California, I would legally owe use tax - equivalent to the sales tax I would have paid in California. Paying cash might keep you under the radar, but I'm not interested in doing anything illegal.

That being said, there are exceptions to the use tax rule, and it is possible to avoid California sales tax legally - I've got no problem with that. Here's a link to a FAQ at the CA State Board of Equalization that covers this topic:

One of the exceptions is the "90 day rule". From the FAQ above:

Tangible personal property is not considered to have been purchased for use in this state when:

* A person uses the item outside of California for more than 90 days after the purchase, exclusive of any shipping or storage time; or
* A person first uses the item outside of California, brings it back into California within 90 days of purchase, and then uses the item outside of California for more than half the time during the next six months.

In my case, the above would apply - I could easily use the tractor for 90 days outside of CA before bringing it back to CA. Assuming there's no other hidden "gotcha", I could probably still take advantage of the 0% Kubota financing, although documenting the out of state usage for the eventual call from the tax man would probably be wise.

With CA out of the way, I next looked at WA use tax laws, since that's where the tractor would be used initially - it would appear there is an exemption there as well. The following exemption is spelled out at this State of WA link:

... (a) The use of tangible personal property brought into the state of Washington by a nonresident thereof for use or enjoyment while temporarily within the state, unless such property is used in conducting a nontransitory business activity within the state

So...use it for 6 months in WA, and bring it back to CA. As luck would have it, that's about what I planned on anyway...

Bill

/ Dealer recommendation - NorCal to Washington #8  
Watkins Tractor & Supply in Kelso, Washington, (360) 423-7220. Talk to John Boatman. They also own the Kubota dealership in St. Helen, Oregon, if you prefer doing business on the south side of the river.

/ Dealer recommendation - NorCal to Washington #9  
MOen Machinery in Gresham, OR. I have dealt with them and they had the best price in the Wasington/ northern Oregon area. I found Mark (sales) to be a very honest guy to work with. They did everything I wanted a dealer to do. That includes the 10-15 phonecalls I made to them asking sometimes stupid question. First class company.

Mark (503) 666- 9159

Good luck on your search.

/ Dealer recommendation - NorCal to Washington #10  
I was going to say Moen also but SCB beat me to the punch. I dealt with them and got good quotes but ended up buying from my local dealer (Sheppards in Hood River) only because the prices were close and I like to support the locals whenever I can. I drop into Moen every now and then to get parts and supplies and they are always easy to deal with and very helpful.

Matt