Tractor
    Cub 2186

Default Cost of a tractor

Been trying in my mind to justify buying a tractor and thought I'd share my cost/benefit analysis with y'all...
    $17,000 for a B2910 w/ loader, ballast, tooth blade, etc.; rotary cutter $600; offset tilting blade $750; road boss grader $1800; trailer $3000 (what good's a tractor if I can't help my friends?); larger truck to pull it $10,000 (trading in my 4 cyl. Toyota); build a barn to store it in $5000; now I need a post-hole digger to set the posts $1000 (I'll try to do it w/o a backhoe); tools to maintain it $1500 (compressor, impact wrench - don't want those wheels or blades to fall off, larger sockets, wrenches, grease guns, etc.).
    1st yr cost $40,650 + 6% tax = $43,089.

Some rough guesses on what the costs over 20 yrs might be....
    Tractor maintenance $200/yr = $4000; lost retirement investment $172,356(assuming 7% interest); a couple of replacement windshields as my neighbors go whizzing by while kicking up gravel $1000; increased property tax, on the barn AND the tractor AND the trailor AND the truck in NC $250/yr = $5000.
    20 yr. cost = $182,356 (w/o assuming inflation).

And then the savings/benefits....
    $100/yr = $2000 on road maintenance (which I share with neighbors anyway - not that we've done anything in 3 yrs); $200/yr = $4000 on tires and alignments (fewer potholes and washboards); $100/yr = $2000 in 'gratuities' for helping friends; $2500 savings not replacing my 9hp Honda (though it's 15yrs old and going strong); $8,592.80/yr for the satisfaction of owning a tractor [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img].
    20 yr. savings/benefits = $182,356. Plus I'll something to do in retirement. Works for me (so long as my wife never sees this post).

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046

Default Re: Cost of a tractor

Ingo.
    Well it seem you done your home work,but reading between the lines in which you have written when does your new kubota arrive with the attachments.

I believe most of us tractor owners didn't buy all the attachments at once,nor built barns or trade for a larger pick up,
    kinda took it one step at a time.

Hows that old saying goes, "you can't take it with you" or another old saying, " measure twice cut once"

Relax and be good to yourself....take care.

Tractor
    Cub 2186

Thomas, Hey I know I oversimplified and I know it all ain't going to happen at once! Just having some fun. But I have learned in 19 yrs of marriage that it often is easier to take the hit once than to keep coming back for more. In a year or 2 I say "Honey, I need to spend $xxxx for such and such for the tractor." and have to answer to "But what do you need that for? You already spent $20,000!!!" (and the next year, and the next, etc.) So I'll do as much as I can up front.

By the way, when I said to my wife a few weeks ago that I was thinking about buying a tractor her only response was "OK". Those 19 yrs of marriage tell me not to take that one on face value.!!! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img] I just figure it was better than the "Not before the divorce" response I was expecting. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img] Before I dig myself in too deep of a hole, I gotta say my wife is great. She bought me that little pickup for my birthday, just when I had given up on that idea!

Thanks for the thoughts.... Ingo.

Tractor
    Kubota M6800SD/LA1002 Loader Kubota RTV900

Rent a tractor for $200/day plus $100/day for the implement of the day for 2 days a week for 20 years. $600,000
    Make 2000 trips to the rental store over 20 years. $20,000
    Lost wages taking the rental back each Monday for 20 years. $25,000
    Working in the rain because the tractor was rented on the day you wanted to use it. $0.00
    Flu caught at night having to mow with the lights on and the sleet falling because you could only get it at night. $500.00 (Doctor & Medicine)
    Cost of damage to tractor and Implements charged by rental place since you didn't have time to read the instructions. $9000

Cost to buy biggest nicest M6800SD 4WD kubota with 12,000 GVW trailer, shed and reasonable starter implements. $33,000

Total Savings: $629,500

No wonder all those farmers own their own tractors!!!!! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Cub 2186

Now that is what I'm looking for!!!! I will give YOUR post to my wife. (though I still need the bigger truck!)
    Thanks WEN.

Tractor
    Kubota M6800SD/LA1002 Loader Kubota RTV900

You would need the bigger truck to pull the rental anyway, so it doesn't count. They don't sell those small trucks in Texas, so that has never been a problem. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

p.s. Bought the 12,000# GVW trailer, with breakaway sw & battery, 2 5/16 ball, 7.50-16 tandum tires, 8 ft 6 in width, 18 ft long with heavy pipe on perimeter and diamond plate fenders for $1800. Built 13x32 shed for less than $1000 with painted metal and pole construction. Save all that money and spend it on a really nice tractor with 4WD and Loader.

Tractor
    Kubota 5400 4x4 with ROPS, canopy, 1001 loader, heavy duty quick release bucket with tooth bar, 280 Bush Hog brush cutter, 6' Bush Hog box blade, 6' Bush Hog plug aerator, 3 point hay spear, 6' Lands

Thomas, you said "you can't take it with you."

A question: I heard Mark was having the bucket cylinders and a majority of the hydrolics mounted on his casket lid. Does this count as "taking it with you"?

Tractor
    Push mower, Snapper 21" 6 shovels, 2 rakes, a pick, 2 pinch bars, a post hole digger (two handle type) and 2 wheel barrows that handle like a Porsche.

Of course Thomas, theres another saying by Steve Martin. He once said, "You know they say you can't take it with you, but me, I'm taking it with me". Rat...

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046

Default Re: Cost of a tractor..Ingo

I felt you were just having fun,but I must say you done your homework!!

By the sounds you have a great marriage, and I wish you and your wife many more happy years to come!!!!

So when does your new kubota arrive? )

Take care and have some fun.