Surprising Results When Trying to Buy a B2910 HST

/ Surprising Results When Trying to Buy a B2910 HST #1  

Don_Curley

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910 HST
This is my first post to the board ... and I'm not sure whether this belongs here (since it has to to with my newbie attempts to buy a Kubota), or whether it belongs on the Kubota pricing board (since it also involves that subject as well). So I will post on both boards (and hope that's OK!). Also, this is bound to be a long post, so I apologize up front for that.

Anyway, here's my situation that I would surely appreciate some advice on. Other than watching my neighbors on their tractors, or contractors I've previously hired to do work for me on my property, I have next to no experience with tractors, implements, or the savvy purchasing of either (translate ... potential sucker-bait). After leaving the high-tech rat race behind in California a year and a half ago, my wife and I ended up with a 4-acre place in rural Utah and we have a lengthy list of earthmoving, trenching, leveling, cultivating, landscaping, tree planting, (etc.) work to do. After breaking our backs doing some of this work by hand and hiring others to do the "big stuff", we finally made the decision to buy a compact tractor. So far so good.

After a fair amount of research (mostly on the Internet), I discovered the TractorByNet discussion groups, and I also purchased the online "Compact Tractor Buying & Basics" PDF "book" which I read from cover-to-cover. After this effort, we decided on either a Kubota B2710 HST or B2910 HST to fill our needs. We put in some quote requests on three websites ... one responded with a quote, another one sent an apology for not sending a quote in a timely fashion (which still hasn't happened), and the last one has never responded at all. In the meantime, we visited our nearest Kubota dealer (160 miles away ... and when I said rural Utah, I meant in the middle of nowhere!). We were able to see both Kubota models as well as the implements we were generally interested in and became much more educated (relatively speaking), in a short period of time. At this point, we defitiely decided to go with the B2910 HST (for a numbr of reasons I won't go into at this point). However, this is when the "fun" started. Since I had much of the Kubota MSRP's, I was able to determine that this dealer (in a rural area of southwestern Colorado), was basically discounting about 7% off of the MSRP's (which by most of the commentary on the Kubota boards ... including that great B-series pricing table, basically sucks in terms of a good deal). When we got home that evening, we had an online quote from Carver where (without disclosing a lot of details), we were initially amazed at what amounted to 20% to 21% discounting off of the MSRP's for the basic tractor and LA402 FEL (and this was for a B2710 HST). We were basically jumping up and down and then remained down when we saw that the delivery charge to our home in Utah was going to be $1,700!!! Is this right??? I thought the cost might be in the $300 to $800 range, but $1,700??? This in effect almost erased any difference between the local dealer's bottom-line delivered price and that of Carver's. Moreover, when I got back to Carver today with the change to a B2910 with a similar list of implements that we were looking at at the local dealer's lot, the new overall price came back at almost $500 more than the local dealer's package price! To say that this result was counter-intuitive would be an understatement.

First, does $1,700 seem like a reasonable cost to ship a compact tractor within the US? Second, since I do not have the option of checking prices and shopping at more than one local retail dealer, is a 7% off of MSRP discount for pricing purposes "acceptable", and if not, what other options do I have? My dealer only has one new B2910 available and I don't want that to get sold out from underneath me at this juncture, but I also don't want to feel like I'm getting a less than reasonable deal either. Any thoughts or advice on all of this would be greatly appreciated. (And sorry again for the very long post).

Thanks in advance,
Don

/ Surprising Results When Trying to Buy a B2910 HST #2  
Don
Welcome to TBN/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.I'd say your post is in the right spot.And, even with the years I've used Kubota compact tractors I still get lots of useful information here. There's a lot of wisdom socked into the posts.You should be very happy with the HST transmission/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.As far as which dealer, you and your wife should make that call. What were your impressions of the dealer you visited?Is it someone you would like to deal with in the future?As far as the cost of shipping across the country, can you imagine just the cost of FUEL to ship your new rig that far?Not to mention wages, etc.Being in the middle of nowhere has good points and bad. Our local dealers charge retail...period. If it was me where you are at right now, I'd be in the who can get her to my place the fastest because we've got to get her working!Good Luck with what ever you decide and enjoy working your projects and this discussion board for years to come.
regards
Mutt

/ Surprising Results When Trying to Buy a B2910 HST #3  
When you're tractor needs part or service where are you going to go? Selling tractors from a long distance implies little service will be required. If the local dealer wants to stay in business, he needs to make a reasonable profit or he's not going to be there when you need him. The freight charge is not out of line.

/ Surprising Results When Trying to Buy a B2910 HST #4  
Welcome to TBN, Don. Generally all of us read every single post, so post to one forum and be assured we'll see them.

I bought my L3010 and implements from Carver. The shipping charges come from the trucking company; Carver makes no profit there. You're right in that those shipping charges can make the purchase less attractive, but since I bought one of his used and regularly maintained program tractors I saved a few thousand off the new price. Gently used, late model Kubotas aren't that easy to find. So go back and ask him about program tractors.

Another point you may want to consider is that local dealer of yours. Before buying from Carver I discussed this with my local guy and left with the understanding that he would be there if I needed service...and I would buy implements from him as needed. Having a local dealer in your corner is SO important I might even consider buying a John Deere if the dealer in my area was more on the ball.

Last point (not exclusive to Carver) is to check their math. When customers are backed up they often do math in their heads and make basic math errors. This happened when I bought Clementine (L3010), and was cheerfully corrected when I pointed out he had carried an extra number when adding.

Best of luck, and hang in there.

Pete in Northern Vermont

www.GatewayToVermont.com

/ Surprising Results When Trying to Buy a B2910 HST #5  
Don I would call your local dealer and let him know that you were shopping around and found a much better price out of state. Maybe he will shave off a few more percent, thats what worked for me.

/ Surprising Results When Trying to Buy a B2910 HST #6  
Don,

My wife and I are in the same situation, I have been using a rental for most of the work on the new property and shopping for a tractor. I also looked into buying from the carvers but have put off purchasing for awhile and now looking at local dealer.

The carvers have provided excellent advice for many people, I have not seen a bad word mentioned about them on this site. They offer great prices until the shipping is added in. I agree with HR_mutt and lens it is reasonible price on the shipping and everyone has to make a living.

I look at it this way. I'm in computer support myself and I have many customers call everyone that bought some equipment off the internet or mail order and they are having problems with the installation or configuartion. Now I try to never turn away business but I do take care of customers that come to me for equipment and service work first. I tend to give those customer a price break on labor and/or parts as the business relationship grows. As in any business you try to bet the local competition, I can't always do that on materials but I can on service and support.

In that line of thought, the local dealers are about 40 minutes away. I will find one I feel comfortable with for future dealings.

Just my two cents.

/ Surprising Results When Trying to Buy a B2910 HST #7  
$1700 seems awefully expensive....must be for a dedicated vehicle. Might call and see what other options there are....would think there are standard shipping companies that could get it there for 1/2 the price. Would also do generic i-net searches of dealers (target closer to you) and investigate picking it up yourself. A few hundred miles pulling a trailer won't seem so bad if you tape the $$ saved to the dashboard! Good luck.

/ Surprising Results When Trying to Buy a B2910 HST #8  
Don,

Sounds like a case of supply and demand. If the dealer is the only game in town and has a hot selling product, you get the picture. I was wondering if you pay sales tax on tractors out there. If so, I would think that would off set some of the shipping. Good luck.

MarkV

/ Surprising Results When Trying to Buy a B2910 HST #9  
Don, one other thing to consider, is that the local dealer will have to charge you sales tax, and Carver's will not. But having brought up that point, I was in the same place you are only 1 week ago. I had already beat the local dealer down as far as I could on price, but I did get him to throw in chain hooks and parts and service manuals. I'm a firm believer in shopping local whenever I can. I've seen too many good local businesses go belly up because of competition from larger (cheaper) retailers. And I can almost always count on the smaller firm for friendly and superior service after the sale. BTW, I also ordered a 2910 with FEL and MM mower, and I can't wait to get it.
Joe W.

/ Surprising Results When Trying to Buy a B2910 HST #10  
Pete,
If you don't mind me asking, how much was Clementine with her impliments? I was hoping to compare prices and see if I'm in the ballpark.Thanks
Jason