Price Check G series price are they worth it

/ G series price are they worth it #1  

cmkh3

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 322
Can anyone enlighten me as to the G series from Kubota? I mean are they worth the dollars or is another unit so close that it is a better buy? If you do own a G series can you chip in your two cents worth on the machines pro's and con's from your perspective? Also does Kubota manufacture it's own engines? If not who's do they use?
My primary use for this unit will be to mow about .5-.7 acres and till plow etc a garden area about 40' X 100' the rest of the time would be spent doing basic yard clean up. We have approximatly 1.25 acres.

Many thanks,

Chris

/ G series price are they worth it #2  
I just saw an ad in a local paper today for a Kubota dealer. They had the G series for about $5500. Then they had a BX1500 for around $6600. Of course the G has a mower and the BX doesn't. But for what the G series cost... I would consider a BX or even a B series. For a little more money.. you get a TRACTOR! They are all good machines. It just depends on what you want to do with it and what you might need in the future. If you know that all you are going to do is mow an acre and do a little tilling for the next 50 years... the G series should accommodate those needs. But like I said, a little more and you can step into a whole different range of tractors that can handle a lot more tasks. I recently bought a '99 B7300 and it's perfect for my needs. But Kubota LT/GTs wouldn't be top on my list. If I was in the market for a LT/GT I would take a long hard look at Cub Cadet. They offer the best bang for the buck IMO. All that said, Kubotas are great... but unless I was in the market for a Sub-CUT or bigger I would look elsewhere. To me the Kubota LT/GTs are too expensive.

/ G series price are they worth it #3  
IMO, the LT's are pricey... better quality for sure, but too much. The GT's are much more competitive, especaily when compared to their green counterparts. If you want a real steal... look for a used G-Series. They last forever, but used ones are easy to come by as many are traded for BX's. We had 4 of them with under 1000 hours selling at half of their new retail price.

/ G series price are they worth it #4  
I like my G2160, but in the same breath I also thought it was a bit pricey. It took a few members from here to reassure me that there is a difference between an $8,000 diesel lawn tractor and a $2,200 gas powered one from H-D and that was why I originally bought it. It cuts high grass like a fiend! I hope to be cutting my lawn and hauling small things around with it 20 years from now.
However... I just got my second recall notice on it yesterday. The first one was bearings on the mower deck, this one was something to do with the PTO shaft.

/ G series price are they worth it #5  
I have a G1800 and it is a great mowing and towing machine and will probably outlast me, but it came with my property and I'm not sure I would spend the kind of money that they are asking for a new one. I tend to agree with dmanspadge; for the cost difference I would probably recommend a BX or even one of the smaller B series instead for many applications. I have one of each now (G and B) and they both serve me well, but if I had to have just one of them it would be my B7400 for sure.

The G is better than the B at mowing on a slope, mowing in close quarters and under trees, and finish mowing in general. Because it is short and turns in a very small radius (4-wheel steering) I frequently use the G for light hauling with a trailer and towing logs with a cable, instead of getting the B out of the shop.

Kubota does make all their own diesel engines for the G series, and they are every bit as good as the ones in their larger tractors as far as I can tell.

/ G series price are they worth it #6  
Anyone have a picture of a G1800, G1900 or similar series kubotas?

Would these G tractors compare to the legendary John Deere 318, or 332 (diesel) garden tractors of the '90's?

dwight

/ G series price are they worth it #7  
I have a picture of a G1700 in bitmap format but it is too big to post. Would you like me top PM it to you?

Dean

/ G series price are they worth it #9  
Pete... those are two fine looking machines!! I just bought a B7300... maybe I need to get a "jr" to match it!!

/ G series price are they worth it #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Pete... those are two fine looking machines!! I just bought a B7300... maybe I need to get a "jr" to match it!!
)</font>

Thanks Ron. I have about 50 hours on my 7400 and have been amazed at what it will do so far. The little G1800 is sure handy to have but I'm glad I didn't have to buy it new.