New GR to Diesel or Air Cooled Gas

/ New GR to Diesel or Air Cooled Gas #1  

Scrounger

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230
After a long debate with myself, I'm switching to Kubota from Deere and I've decided on the new GR series from Kubota. Now I need some help on the choice between the GR2000 which is an air colled gas to the GR2100 which is the liquid diesel. I would prefer the diesel but it only comes with the 54" decks and the 48" deck is easier for me on my property.

The diesel would be nice, but will I be loosing that much with an air cooled gas engine.

I was going to buy a new GX345 from Deere but the features onthe new GR are just too nice. All wheel drive, shaft driven deck and they offer a two stage blower compared to the one stage belt blower from Deere.

/ New GR to Diesel or Air Cooled Gas #2  
I'm not sure anyone can give you really great input on these machine yet because no one has received them (to my knowledge they dont ship for another month or 2). The Kubota diesel is always a great choice, but I would expecet the Kohler 20hp to hold up quite well also. The specs are nearly identical besides the deck and engine... When we saw the demos of the unit in Georgia it performed quite well with the AWD, and the 'glide steer' was quite a piece of work too.

They should be a great machine either way. Good luck.

/ New GR to Diesel or Air Cooled Gas #3  
<font color="blue"> I would prefer the diesel but it only comes with the 54" decks and the 48" deck is easier for me on my property.
</font>

Scrounger,

Looks like there is a 48" cut diesel GR available...

<font color="green"> The 48" G2160-R48S' body is identical to the diesel powered G2160, however this diesel powered model is specifically designed for mowing. Combined with the 'Direct Shoot' grass catching system, it becomes a powerful garden tool. </font> ... taken from the Deen Implements page...

Maybe I got it wrong though...I see this is a G and not a GR... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Second edit: Guess I did get it wrong. Oh well, back to the original question.

Diesels are nice, but if having a mower wider than 48 inches would be painful for your application, then I doubt the pleasure of owning a diesel would out weigh the pain of having to deal with a mower that was too wide for your needs.

Kubota makes a pretty good, reliable product. Don't forget that whatever you buy will last you a very long time, and I know I would not want a thorn in my side reminding me over the years that less would have been better for my particular needs.

Now that being said, is an extra six inches going to be that much of an issue? I think that is the real question and one that only you can answer... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif And that answer will make the decision for you I bet.

Let us know what you decide...

/ New GR to Diesel or Air Cooled Gas #4  
many times the smaller deck will fit that tractor, they just don't package them that way as it does not make much sense. IE.. the 48" BX1500 deck fits the BX2230 but its not sold as such.

/ New GR to Diesel or Air Cooled Gas
Seems they woudl want to sell anything you want, but thats not the case. I wanted the smaller deck for tight areas I need to move around. The 54 isn't that much bigger but the 48 I have now is perfect. I might just jump for a BX if I can get a good price. In that case its the BX15 BX2230 argument. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif