Kubota vs JD

/ Kubota vs JD #1  

Stan Dickson

The eternal question. A Kubota 2710 or a JD 4200? I can't deside. Priced within $200.00 of each other. Both have longstanding reputable dealer. I have 8.75 acres that I have had a dozer clear about half of it. Now I must clean, grade and shape the for a new house, yard, landscaping, brush hog,etc.
I will not use the tractor for mowing. I have a 48" hst Wheelhorse that is great for mowing.
The two things I look for is quality and power to do the job.

/ Kubota vs JD #2  
Stan,

Welcome to the board. You'll find a lot of useful information here. You'll notice after you hang around for awhile that this board is definitely dominated by "Proud Kubota Owners"! What you need to know is for the most part, they speak the truth and will help you if you ask the right questions. And don't worry about being picked on if you think you have a stupid question, they're too busy picking on me, I own Blue! /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Again, Welcome! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Kubota vs JD #3  
Jim - Whaddaya mean, we tell the truth for the most part? Oh well, thanks for the compliment - I suppose it was very hard for you. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Stan - Welcome! I scrupulously try to avoid getting into brand wars and I don't know much at all about the B-series tractors, but I never let lack of knowledge get in the way of having something to say. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif If you do a search on this forum and the archives for the models in question, you'll find at least one whole thread devoted to just this subject.

One thing I think you'll find from the answers to your question specifically, is that every Kubota owner here will tell you that you would be very satisfied with the Kubota and the same is true for the JD owners. So, this tells us a couple of things: Both tractors are excellent pieces of equipment. There must be some items of personal preference involved that causes some folks to like one better than the other. The only thing I'll say with regard to the "brand war" issue is that more folks buy the Kubota than the JD. Which means almost nothing, I think. You still have to decide for yourself.

The other thing I'd like to point out is something I'd rather not have to say: Unfortunately, there is no tractor more "domestic" than another, except that some of them are obviously not American in pronunciation.

I hope this helps, but I doubt it. If you want any facts from me, you'll have to ask about the Kubota L-series tractors. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Mark

/ Kubota vs JD #4  
I have a B2710 and can only speak for it. I'm extremely fond of it and wouldn't trade it for any color of tractor. Everything about it is quality. The more I use it the more I appreciate the quality.

Before you buy a tractor test drive each one - on your land if you can get the dealer to bring you a demo. I doubt there is even $200 difference in these tractors based on what I have read on here and other boards. So I would pick the one that feels right, has the controls where you like them, has the right HST feel, etc.

The brake pedals on the Kubota are on the right side of the tractor - same as the HST pedal. I have heard some tractor owners who like to use the brakes for turning alot, which is more difficult when the pedals are on the same side as the HST pedal. This has never been a problem on my tractor as I have never felt the need to use the brakes for turning.

I'm not sure that the specs are apples to apples on weight, but the JD 4200 is a heavier tractor than the B2710, with about the same horsepower. That could mean it is underpowered compared to the Kubota, or it could come in handy helping you move stuff, as less ballast would be needed. I prefer the lighter tractor, but I use my tractor a lot for mowing, and the heavier JD would tear up the grass more, while I could add ballast to the Kubota if needed. Kinda hard to remove basic weight on the JD to make it lighter.

Just some thoughts that might help.