Will a B7410 be a good choice for us? New here...

/ Will a B7410 be a good choice for us? New here... #1  

SalW

We are planning a Christmas tree farm on 4 acres. We will need to mow it - the field is *badly* overgrown, till it 2-3 feet deep, and then maintain the field after we get the trees planted (they will be 5 feet apart).

We've been advised to buy a compact tractor for general use - one that can move easily between the trees and also handle the mowing, then rent a larger one for the tilling.

Does this make sense, and will the 7410 work for us? With a field this small, speed isn't necessarily an issue, but durability is (we're not very mechanical). Our field is gently sloped - uneven terrain, but not hilly either. We're in Western Washington, so we will be dealing with some mud after it's tilled.

We are a small operation, so we'd like to spend less than $10,000 (got a quote of about $8,000 on that model from a dealer).

Thanks!

/ Will a B7410 be a good choice for us? New here... #2  
If it were me, I would try to strike a deal on a B7510HSD. Just a little bit more tractor in all the ways you will feel.

/ Will a B7410 be a good choice for us? New here... #3  
I second the advice from Seymour!!
It's a great little machine see pics!

/ Will a B7410 be a good choice for us? New here... #4  
If you rent a machine that can till 2-3 feet deep I don't think you need to mow first. If the goal of mowing is to eliminate the weeds, I'd hire someone to come in and burn it off with chemicals like roundup.

It's not clear what you use the machine for once the trees are planted. Do you mow around them or do you spread mulch to keep the grass from growing or what? Sounds like you might need a front end loader as much as a mower. If there is only 5 feet between the trees how would you mow between them with a 7410? Even with a 54" deck that wouldn't leave much room to maneuver. Sounds like you'd be better off with a zero turn mower if all you need to do is mow around trees.

/ Will a B7410 be a good choice for us? New here... #5  
SalW,
I looked at the B7400 before I bought my B7500. The biggest difference is the lack of power steering on the B7400. I would suggest driving a B7510 and compare it to the B7410. For a few dollars more, there is quite a difference. If you ever plan on adding FEL, you will never regret having power steering. I have also heard that Kubota is discontinuing the B7410.

So, if you never plan on a FEL, have strong forearms /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and can get by with no power steering, maybe you can get a sweet deal on a discontinued model and the B7410 will be a perfect fit. The best thing to do is try both models out.

Hope this helps,
Greg

/ Will a B7410 be a good choice for us? New here... #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( We are planning a Christmas tree farm on 4 acres. . . . after we get the trees planted (they will be 5 feet apart). )</font>

Seems like Christmas trees planted 5 feet apart would not leave enough room to walk between them, not to mention mow between them, as they got bigger.

Am I missing something?

Cliff

/ Will a B7410 be a good choice for us? New here... #7  
I have a B7400 and am amazed at what this little tractor will do. I mow about 2 or 2-1/2 acres with a 48" Bush Hog. It takes a little time, but I have yet to encounter any tall grass or any other problem the B7400 couldn't handle easily. I've never had a tractor with power steering so I don't know the difference, but I've never had any complaint or hard use from my manual steering. I looked at a B7510 and a 7610 before buying my 7400, but the large difference in price led me to choose the 7400. I've been extremely happy with my purchase, but I don't have a tree farm and don't know what else you'll be doing with yours.

Pete